[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portis riding the pine this week?

Marauders11

In Gil Brandt's week 13 "Fantasy Analysis" he speculates that Portis may actually not start this week- Ladell Betts would:

Giants at Redskins: I don't like anybody on the Redskins at all. RB Clinton Portis is supposedly not going to start -- Ladell Betts will. Be sure ot check that for yourself ... For the Giants, I think rookie Eli Manning will have another tough game since Washington has a tough defense. The only play for New York is Barber because he has played so well. Beware: The Redskins are third in the NFL against the run.

Anyone else have any news on this?

Portis is still #1 on the depth chart, if that's what you mean. (I did check that). However, Betts has outperformced Portis in the last two games and took more snaps and got more passes throw his way in Week 12. Moreover, Betts got two red zone carries last week, relative to Portis' zero.

Here is some more stuff that is tangentially related: this week's opponent (the Giants) is allowing an average of 127.9 rushing yards per game. However, in the last two games they allowed 154 combined rushing yards to the Eagles and 207 to the Falcons. (Though, half of the Falcons' rushing yards did come from Vick).

Having lost three starting DEs this year, I don't think the Giants are that tough against the run right now. My only trepidation about relying on either Betts or Portis - even if we could know who'd get the most carries - is that the Skins really commited to their crappy passing game last week and only ran the ball a total of 14 times. If that trend continues, neither Betts nor Portis belongs in anyone's lineup.

On the flip side, Betts is their main kick off returner. So assuming he got the majority of carries in the regular offense AND continued his return duties he might actually be worth a pick up.

Edited by yo mama

Well let me say this. The Eagles don't run so I'm not worried about how many yards they got against the Giants. And the Falcons ran all over them. With that said Gibbs isn't dumb, the Giants pass D is ranked much higher than their run D so the Skins HAVE to run a lot in this game. I also find it hard to believe that Betts out carries Portis in a game where they are running. Wash went to the pass last week because you can't run on Pitt and they fell behind. Betts also plays in those situations. In what should be a close game I just can't see Gibbs not running a lot against a team that is worse against the run than the pass. Also along the lines of Gibbs isn't a dummy I just can't see Portis not getting the VAST majority of the carries. He's still on pace for 1375 rushing yards, Betts isn't good, and Portis is getting a TON of money. Now that's logic and NO ONE can argue that. Now you can argue that Gibbs goes against logic and plays Betts more, but logic says in this game against this team Portis has to get minimum 20 carries.

Edited by giantsfan

...but logic says in this game against this team Portis has to get minimum 20 carries.

587556[/snapback]

Maybe. Portis did get 20 or more carries in each of his first six games. However, he's only had 20 or more carries in 1 of his last 5.

Ramsey, on the other hand, has thrown the ball at least 34 times in his first three starts. Moreover, while the Giants DEF has done a good job of limiting passing yardage (6th fewest in the NFL), they haven't done as good a job at limiting passing TDs (tied for 8th most, at 16). Based on those stats, Gibbs could reasonably go either way with his offensive scheme.

Edited by yo mama

You know I never really looked closely at the Skins game plans but look at this. I throw the last 2 games out, they had NO chance to win or run against Pitt or Philly. The 3 games before that were GB, at Det, at Cincy. In those 3 games here's Portis' numbers:

GB- 17 carries 4.1 avg

at Det- 34 carries 4.3 avg

at Cincy- 17 carries 4.8 avg

In NONE of those games did Betts get any carries really. Plus they were somewhat in the GB game and very in the other 2 games. So you know what this tells me? Gibbs has done an AWFUL job this year. What is he doing. Why is he not only not running Portis 25 times, but why is he passing so much? Surprise they won the 34 carry game against Det and lost the other 2 including by a TD to Cincy. Why is he calling so many passes? With that said I have to think he sees this and gives 20 carries or more to Portis. Let me say this if Portis doesn't get 20+ carries in this game if it stays a close game I will say 2 things. 1. Gibbs is doing an AWFUL job. 2. Portis will be NO factor from here on out this year.

Edited by giantsfan

the person fighting me for a playoff spot has Portis....I sure do hope he loses alot of carries..  :D

587616[/snapback]

Likewise- the guy I am playing this week has Portis and the winner of our match-up takes the division and a 1st round bye (we are both in the playoffs, but man I'd love a bye).

More bald-faced speculation, this time from CBS Sportsline.

Ladell Betts, RB WAS

News: According to reports, Clinton Portis is not a lock to start in Week 13.

Analysis: The Redskins might go with Betts vs. the Giants. Keep close tabs on this situation.

Edited by yo mama

Well I'm sure we'll see and hear more as the week unfolds. I will say one thing though when you really look at it I think Portis is getting treated a little unfairly here. Their OL is hurting, they've had NO passing game all year, and for some odd reason Gibbs refuses to just let him get 20 to 25 carries even in games where they are close. On top of that what in the world is going to Betts going to do for them now or in the future. We know Betts isn't good already. Oh well we'll see and I'd think we'll have some word over the next few days whether ornot Portis is starting.

i actually traded Portis for Ahman Green today. And im a Bears fan of all things. Its gonna kill me to hope he does well, but then again, my Bears suck.

If Green is healthy, the next few games should be good matchups for him. Portis (who ive had on my team since he was a rook) has finally blown it for me. Im tired of waiting for Gibbs to start calling plays that don't go off tackle right/left or draws.

By by Porti...

I know some of you hope that Betts may lose carries because of the Fantasy implications... but come on... Portis will start. CBS is a pile of $hit with these mysterious reports.

I watched some of the game this past Sunday. The field was a friggin mess and Portis was out for a bit to get new cleats. For crying out loud, Betts only had 8 carries.

I think Portis' lack of production is due to the O line and Gibbs' play calling. The defenses he's faced the past 2 weeks were brutal and Wash just sucks in general. The second to last or last carry Portis had he bounced it outside for about 7 yards...

I will make a prediction and say that I think he tears up NY this week.....

Seems everyone agrees that Portis production (or lack thereof) is due to woeful O-Line play. There are NO prospects for that O-Line play improving significantly this year, so whoever's getting the carries is going to be punished.

That said, if you traded Champ Bailey and a #2 for a guy, and are paying him $60m or whatever it is...what's your upside in running your prized asset into the ground?

Joe Gibbs is planning for NEXT season, and if he's smart he'll limit Portis' carries significantly the rest of the way. While it's important to win some games for morale, it's not worth losing a guy like that to major injury because you refused to let up on the gas pedal 3/4 of the way through a wasted season.

FWIW, I look for an even split in carries with Betts and whatever other prospects they have the rest of the way, with Portis getting 10-12 carries/game - enough to keep him involved but not so many touches that you look like a moron when he ruptures a patella on his 26th carry.

the person fighting me for a playoff spot has Portis....I sure do hope he loses alot of carries..  :D

587616[/snapback]

Bingo. To be spotted a RB in the game that will lock up my division and put me in the playoffs would be an excellent Christmas Gift.

local sports talk radio show this evening had a blurb about that and said that the Redskins had totally discounted the report. For what its worth, Portis should get his 10-12 carries this week!

588913[/snapback]

See there you said it. Portis will get his 10-12 carries. I don't understand what Gibbs is about here. If I remember back he used to run a lot and give his main guy the 20-25 carries they need to be good. For some reason even when they have been in games earlier in the year he still only gave Portis 17 carries. I don't understand what he's doing. He gave him 34 against Detroit and surprise big Portis game and a WIN for Wash. I just don't get why he's passing so much.

This is all complete BS. Gibbs stated this morning that Portis is the man and that they plan on giving him the ball this weekend. The Giants D is eally banged up and Portis will probably go off due to his bruised ego from last week. Looking at 150 and a touch.

589426[/snapback]

Okay let me ask you this PCE did he say that for sure? That Portis is the man and they plan on giving him the ball. That was said by Gibbs?