[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portis riding the pine this week?

Marauders11

This is all complete BS. Gibbs stated this morning that Portis is the man and that they plan on giving him the ball this weekend. The Giants D is eally banged up and Portis will probably go off due to his bruised ego from last week. Looking at 150 and a touch.

589426[/snapback]

uhh, if he could go off at a moment's notice whenever his ego was bruised don't you think he could have picked 7 or 8 other weeks to do that? this isn't the first time they've had a decent matchup. am I missing something? have there been signs of life in the Skins' offense? are they scoring more than, um, 7 pts a week? I didn't think so. wake up.

Edited by Double Reverse

Gibbs stated that nothing could be further from the truth about Portis sitting this week. He said that Portis is "the most prolific back in the league" and he planned to use him alot this week. Heard on sportstalk980 this morning at approximately 8:15 on my drive to work.

Granted working him could all change when the QB throws a couple picks and the skins go down by 14 pts, but this is what was said and I believe the old man. Plus Gibbs has been taking a beating in the media this week for sitting Portis so much last week. I could be completely wrong here, but I am looking for Portis to blow it up this weekend.

rumors only rumors......I think he's gonna go off this week, wash should actually be able to say in this game.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...s=1045855935462

Portis' starting role in backfield secure

He ran for season-low 17 yards in Sunday's setback at Pittsburgh

BY PAUL WOODY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Nov 30, 2004

Clinton Portis still has his job. Joe Gibbs has no plans to change his, at least at this time. But Gibbs, the coach of the Washington Redskins, wants to make one thing clear. He sure would like to win a football game.

Sunday afternoon against the New York Giants will be the Redskins' next best chance to do so. "I'm looking forward to getting home," Gibbs said. "And playing in a place where everybody is not against us."

At least that is what Gibbs hopes the situation will be.

Portis is the team's leading rusher - 945 yards on 244 carries - but just six of those carries and 17 of those yards came Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Tickets

Schedule

Team

News

Store

Sponsored Content

All kinds of questions arose from that. Was Portis hurt? Was Gibbs sending him a message? Did the fur hat and coat Portis had on after the game keep him warm on the bus ride to the airport?

Portis was slightly banged up. He suffered a neck stinger, an injury akin to a pinched nerve, during the game. That cost him one series, but neither Portis nor Gibbs said the injury was severe enough to take him out of the game.

"I'm not the offensive coordinator, I don't draw up things," Portis said after Sunday's game. "I would think it's still my job, but if it's not, I'll back up Ladell [betts]. But I'm not worried about losing my job."

He shouldn't be. Gibbs made it clear yesterday that he is not down on Portis.

"Clinton Portis is one of the real plusses this year," Gibbs said. "This guy has been extremely tough. He plays tough without the ball. His pass protection is great. He's aggressive and goes after people.

"Early in the season, people were asking if he's carrying the ball too much. In the first half [against Pittsburgh], we ran six times, and he had five of them. We wanted to rush the football. But then we got behind 10-0, and you start to go from play to play. How do you get the ball down the field? We thought the best way was by passing."

Portis is supposed to be a part of the passing game, and he has caught 30 passes this season, good for third on the team. He had just one reception for zero yards against Pittsburgh.

Gibbs said Portis might get more balls thrown his way in the future.

"He definitely is a threat coming out of the backfield," Gibbs said. "We've been taking him out on third downs to give him some rest. But he doesn't like that, and we don't want him coming out.

"Instead, what we're trying to do is let him play a couple of series, then let Ladell play a series. We want to give him [Portis] a break that way instead of having him in and out of the game in a series."

The 17 yards Portis gained against Pittsburgh was his lowest total since Sept. 15, 2002 when he gained 12 yards on four carries for Denver in a game against San Francisco. Last season in Denver, Portis had 10 games when he gained at least 106 yards.

"This isn't Denver," Portis said. "I've got to find a way to be as big a part of this system as I did in Denver."

Gibbs reiterated yesterday that he has no plans to step down after this season because of health reasons. On Sunday, ESPN had reported he was considering that.

"I don't know where that came from," Gibbs said. "Rumors are rumors.

"I'm excited about this season. I'm not excited about what we've been going through this year. I want to do something to put the Redskins back in position to win games."

AND FURTHERMORE: Rookie right tackle Mark Wilson suffered a slight knee injury against Pittsburgh. If he can't play Sunday, Gibbs said Lennie Friedman, the backup center, will move to right guard and Ray Brown, who played right guard against Pittsburgh, will move back to right tackle.

#1)

Anyone who puts ANY stock into what CBS says, needs their head examined. That site is just plain pitiful for reliable football info. I've read some of their crap and I honestly think they make some of it up for sensationalism.

#2)

Ladell Betts to start over a healthy Portis....ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! :D

Gibbs stated that nothing could be further from the truth about Portis sitting this week. He said that Portis is "the most prolific back in the league" and he planned to use him alot this week.

589710[/snapback]

If Gibbs is referring to this year his choice of words couldn't be worse. He certainly was one of the most "prolific" backs in the league but of course that was before his arrival in DC. Now I think "talented back on a very bad offensive team" describes the situation much better.

Edited by major-tom