[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Moss vs. Da Bears

MikesVikes

An interesting read about Moss this weekend. I predict more damage than the Chicago Fire from the "leg and a half" Moss.

Vikings notes: Bears, Moss to go at it again

Kevin Seifert and Jerry Zgoda, Star Tribune

December 2, 2004 VNOT1202

Randy Moss is back. So is Charles Tillman. And R.W. McQuarters never went anywhere.

That trio figures to mix it up extensively when the Vikings and Bears play Sunday at Soldier Field. Tillman, the cornerback who stole a potential game-winning touchdown pass from Moss in the Bears' 13-10 victory last season, has returned from a knee injury. McQuarters figures to share coverage duties with Tillman on Moss, who is continuing to strengthen his strained right hamstring.

Tillman told Chicago reporters, "I'm not living off [the interception]" but indicated he looks forward to playing against a less-than-100 percent Moss.

"Hopefully," Tillman said, "we can take advantage of that leg and a half and dominate him."

Asked if he thought Moss has gotten over last season's interception, Tillman said: "I don't know. He might not be. He might still have one eye out to get me. We're going to see it on Sunday."

Moss was not available to respond.

McQuarters, meanwhile, took offense to Moss' September characterization that the Bears are "cheap-shot artists." After the teams' Sept. 26 meeting at the Metrodome, the NFL fined nine Vikings and six Bears a combined $48,500 for a fracas that followed Chicago safety Todd Johnson's high hit on Vikings receiver Nate Burleson. Moss went after Johnson, initiating a scuffle, and later accused him of spearing Burleson in the head. Johnson received the 15-yard penalty, but was not fined.

"Yeah, we do [take offense] because that's not our nature of play," McQuarters said. "We don't take cheap shots."

McQuarters said defensive backs often hit ball carriers as they are falling toward the turf in an attempt to cause a fumble. "That's football because, technically, he's not down yet," McQuarters said. "I don't see our defense taking any cheap shots."

Rest for the weary

The Vikings will begin resting several players, mostly on defense, who might be wearing down as the season enters its fourth month. Two such players are cornerback Antoine Winfield and safety Brian Russell, both of whom are part of special-teams coverage units as well as the starting defense.

Neither player is listed on the injury report, although Russell said, "It's no secret I have some bumps and bruises." Willie Offord took some of Russell's practice reps Wednesday, but coach Mike Tice said Russell is not in danger of losing his starting job.

"I just think there are some players ... that have played a lot of plays and look like to me like they're not as fresh," Tice said. "They need to get a little more rest."

Etc.

• Right guard David Dixon (sprained left knee) sat out part of practice but is expected to start Sunday. He is listed as probable on the injury report.

• The Bears could get middle linebacker Brian Urlacher back earlier than expected. Urlacher, who has missed the past two games with a left calf injury, participated in all of practice Wednesday and is listed as questionable on the injury report. Urlacher initially was expected to miss four to six weeks with the injury, which required surgery 17 days ago.

• Running back Mewelde Moore (left ankle) no longer is listed on the injury report but probably will be inactive for the fifth consecutive week. Because of his special teams play, Larry Ned is the Vikings' No. 4 running back behind Onterrio Smith, Michael Bennett and Moe Williams. The team typically has room for four running backs on the game day active roster.

Looks like I have another that agrees with what Moss will do this weekend...

Fuel to the fire

Memory of Tillman interception intensifies rematch with Moss

BOB SANSEVERE

Randy Moss will have a monster game in Chicago. That's not a prediction; it's a guarantee.

Moss will tear up the Bears' secondary, you just watch. Pay extra-close attention to when Moss is matched up against Bears cornerback Charles Tillman. Moss has some unfinished business with Tillman and is just itching to light him up.

The most dangerous receiver in the NFL becomes even more dangerous when riled.

And Moss is mega riled.

He's in that state because of what happened last Dec. 14 in Chicago. With 1:02 to play and the game on the line, Tillman ripped the ball out of Moss' hands in the end zone. The Vikings lost 13-10 because Moss lost the ball to Tillman. Had Moss made the catch and the Vikings won, they would have been in the playoffs.

Moss wants another crack at Tillman — many cracks.

That interception brought national attention to Tillman. It's not every day a rookie cornerback — or anyone, for that matter — rips the ball from Randy Moss.

"I don't live off that play,'' Tillman told Chicago reporters Wednesday. "I'm over it. We need to look forward.''

Moss will be living in the past Sunday and will drag Tillman back there with him.

Tillman didn't play when the Vikings and Bears met earlier this season because he had a broken leg. So, this is the first chance for Moss to do to Tillman what Tillman did to Moss: Humiliate him.

Even without Tillman as motivation, Moss did a number on the Bears in their first meeting this season, catching seven passes for 119 yards and two touchdowns in a 27-22 victory Sept. 26. Afterward, Moss griped that the Bears took cheap shots, but that's not what will stoke him Sunday. Tillman will do the stoking.

Sunday, it will look as if Moss is fully recovered from his partially torn hamstring. At least when Tillman is assigned to cover him.

Asked Wednesday if he would talk about Tillman, Moss said, "No."

Then, as he walked away, I told him, "I do feel sorry for Tillman.''

Moss replied, "Me, too.''

You might want to take the Vikings and lay the seven points.

Tillman missed eight games while his fractured tibia healed, then played Thanksgiving Day in a reserve role against Dallas. Bears coach Lovie Smith indicated Wednesday that Tillman might start against the Vikings.

We'll see what kind of coach Smith is. If he's smart, he will make sure Tillman isn't lined up opposite Moss too often — and once would be too often.

Moss is like a snoozing lion; the last thing you want to do is poke him with a stick. That interception by Tillman in last year's game at Chicago was a poke that still stings.

A comment Tillman made to those Chicago reporters might add to the sting. Noting Moss' hamstring injury, Tillman said, "Hopefully, we can take advantage of that leg and a half and still dominate him.''

How about that? Tillman is talking about dominating Moss. He doesn't know Moss the way we know Moss.

"He might still have one eye out to get me,'' Tillman said. "We're going to see it on Sunday.''

We're going to see plenty from Moss.

"I can't wait to get the game going,'' Daunte Culpepper said.

Asked who would come away with the ball if Tillman is covering Moss in the end zone with Sunday's game on the line, Culpepper said, "No. 84, all day long.''

Vikings coach Mike Tice shied away from addressing the Moss vs. Tillman angle, saying, "I don't want to give bulletin-board material.''

As if a few printed words stapled to a bulletin board could somehow cause Tillman or other Bears from shutting down a riled-up Randy Moss. There is no shutting down Randy Moss when he is riled up.

"All I want you to remember is who we played the week after we lost to Chicago and look at Moss' stats,'' Tice said of last December's meeting.

The Vikings routed the Kansas City Chiefs 45-20, and among Moss' seven receptions for 111 yards were TD catches of 30 and 21 yards.

Randy Moss is fired up and riled up once again.

If Moss is still hobbled, Tillman is one guy that can keep him quiet.

They shadowed McQuarters against Moss 100% in the first game and that was a disaster.

I don't like the Bears chances at all. Tait is hurt, Kreutz is dinged, Ogunleye probably won't play, Williams is most likely out...a new QB.

It doesn't bode well for the Bears, but in these NFC Norris tilts, you just never know. :D