[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ravens Defensive TD?

PackerFanX

Should this be a defensive TD?

(3:32) C.Palmer pass intended for C.Johnson INTERCEPTED by E.Reed at BLT 15. E.Reed to BLT 39 for 24 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by BLT-C.McAlister at BLT 36. C.McAlister for 64 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Palmer's pass is picked off by E. Reed. Then E. Reed fumbles and it is picked up by McAllister and run in for a TD. I would say it is a Defensive TD if Reed runs it back but is Baltimore considered the offensive team after Reed loses posession of the ball and it is picked up by someone else on his team?

It is listed on NFL.com as a fumble recovery for a TD, but would he be considered to be on offense instead of defense, since his own teammate fumbled? Or would it be a defensive score? On the INT return, Reed fumbles, and his own teammate recovers, so would it be offensive or defensive?

Is there an official rule for this kind of thing?

Yes

594112[/snapback]

Didn't something happen last year (I thought it was the Titans - could be wrong) where the Defensive player fumbled, a player who was on offense recovered and scored the touchdown. From what I remember, the Titans D scored the touch, not that player that recovered the fumble.

Does anyone remember what team this play was for last year?

Colts safety Mike Doss intercepted a Brad Johnson pass on MNF. He then fumbled. Tampa Bay WR Keenan McCardell scooped it up and went the rest of the way for a TD. Now THAT was discussed here for a while.

What happened in Baltimore last week is a defensive TD, plain and simple.

Edited by CaptainHook

Colts safety Mike Doss intercepted a Brad Johnson pass on MNF.  He then fumbled.  Tampa Bay WR Keenan  McCardell scooped it up and went the rest of the way for a TD.  Now THAT was discussed here for a while.

What happened in Baltimore last week is a defensive TD, plain and simple.

597962[/snapback]

Thanks Captain! I thought it was the Titans.

One quick point. CBS marked that as a Tampa Bay Defensive score, based on the fact that once Indy Intercepted the ball, they gained possession, thus making Tampa the Defense on the field, so once McCardell recovers, Tampa D gets the touchdown.

If that is the case for that situation, regardless, if it was the way your league went, doesn't the same logic apply up until the point the fumble was recovered? If Cincy recovered and scored, it would have gone as a Defensive Touchdown in our league (CBS), once McAllister recovers, doesn't go down as an Offensive Fumble Recovery for a TD similar to McMichaels fumble recovery for a touchdown last year? (We made the adjustment in CBS to give him McMichaels credit for the score.)

We are discussing in our league, I am attempting to stay out of it since it involves me. But there is a lot of thought to keeping the scoring consistent based on past decisions made.

If you would have scored the Ed Reed return as a defensive TD, then this would be a defensive TD as well.

As was discussed here last year ad nauseum after that Indy/TB play, by the strictest definitions, per NFL rules there would never be a defensive TD as the team with possession of the ball is the offensive team, so technically as soon as there is a turnover, the team that was on defense has now become an offensive team. Obviously this rule does not translate over into fantasy football for practical reasons.

While CBS defaulted the score as a defensive score, I know MFL and several other sites rules it an offensive score. The reason being is that, for practical reasons for FF purposes, the team that starts a play on offense would be considered the offensive team for the duration of the play, just as the defensive team is considered the defensive team for the duration of the play, even though by strictest interpretation of the NFL rules the are an offensive team once they gain possession. Again, this is not practical for FF purposes. So, they defaulted the ruling to be an offensive score, but had an option for a quick change to a defensive score for leagues that had rules/votes to make it so.

One quick point.  CBS marked that as a Tampa Bay Defensive score, based on the fact that once Indy Intercepted the ball, they gained possession, thus making Tampa the Defense on the field, so once McCardell recovers, Tampa D gets the touchdown.

598034[/snapback]

CBS is ridiculous. Using this same logic, then once a defensive team recovers a ball (int or fumble) then they would be the offensive team so why do defenses get any points for td's? If the above is the case, then there would be no such thing as a defensive touchdown. Why is CBS the only site that scores like this? (I'm assuming it's only them).

CBS is ridiculous.  Using this same logic, then once a defensive team recovers a ball (int or fumble) then they would be the offensive team so why do defenses get any points for td's?  If the above is the case, then there would be no such thing as a defensive touchdown.  Why is CBS the only site that scores like this?  (I'm assuming it's only them).

598126[/snapback]

My league uses CBS, and after that incident we created a 'snap of the ball' rule: whatever side of the ball your player or team is on at the snap of the ball, they remain on that team until the play is over.

So if Reed had fumbled the ball and Ray Lewis had picked it and ran it in, it would then be a defensive touchdown, since the offense would have lost possession and would now be the defense.

:D

598653[/snapback]

I think Jackass was replying to my original post (pre-edit), just in case, here is what I originally posted (I mis-read what actually happened in this play, thought Reed fumbled after his INT back to the other team :doah:)...

Beginner's Guide to Football

One 11-man team has possession of the football. It is called the offense and it tries to advance the ball down the field-by running with the ball or throwing it - and score points by crossing the goal line and getting into an area called the end zone.

The other team (also with 11 players) is called the defense. It tries to stop the offensive team and make it give up possession of the ball. If the team with the ball does score or is forced to give up possession, the offensive and defensive teams switch roles (the offensive team goes on defense and the defensive team goes on offense). And so on, back and forth, until all four quarters of the game have been played.

Source

Edited by Gunther