[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jake the....

Ursa Majoris

.....Snake?

That's two weeks in a row that one dumb play by Plummer has cost the Broncos the game. Last week against Oakland he ducked under a serious defensive onslaught and, having done the hard work, he threw it up to Buchanan in the end zone when there was a Bronco wide open in the flat.

This week, they get all the way to the 3, and managed to get Droughns back into the game but on 1st and goal, instead of plowing ahead with Droughns for at least that down, Jake lobs up a high one for Smith, double covered, resulting in the INT.

Shanahan can take some of the blame for the second one, but bad karma sure follows Jake around a lot.

I was at the game, and you're right. The call was not a good one, and Jake's throw was into double coverage. San Diego was stacked against the run on that play, so Shanahan probably thought he could catch the Chargers off-guard.

IT DIDN'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!! :D

that play call was a joke. if i were the owner i'd can his ass. 1st and goal at the 6 with your running game starting to roll and you have your QB who has already thrown 3 picks put up a jump ball. 

what an idiot

595495[/snapback]

That was exactly my take. I can just about understand a passing play, but that was just a jump ball, with the same chance of success as a Hail Mary. The thing went so high, it had snow on it when it came down. Poor old Rod Smith had no chance.

"That's kind of an option right there," Shanahan said. "You run a running play and then if you get a certain coverage of bump, you feel like you got an easy fade route to give the quarterback or the receiver the option to do it. It's a called run. You have the option to hit the fade if you feel like the guy has right coverage. Obviously, the ball was thrown slightly more inside and was deflected. It was just one of those things."

Sounds like the fade was Jake's call.

Obviously, the ball was thrown slightly more inside and was deflected. Sounds like the fade was Jake's call.

595565[/snapback]

So Shanny says it was deflected? I have to say I didn't see that at the time. It sure was a lousy pass if it wasn't deflected, so maybe that might explain it.

The Broncos went to the well one too many times. Throughout the game, they burned the Chargers on jump balls (two pass interference penalties against Chargers DBs for substantial gains, Rod Smith's 45 yarder, and I think Lelie's 44 yarder too). They did the same thing in their earlier victory over the Chargers. Shanahan previously noted that Chargers DBs play the receiver and don't look for the ball and he's right. Thus, I can see why Plummer did what he did. I'm not saying it was the best call, only that I see the rationale.

So Shanny says it was deflected?  I have to say I didn't see that at the time.  It sure was a lousy pass if it wasn't deflected, so maybe that might explain it.

595595[/snapback]

Smith was reaching to grab it and at the same time the defender knocked him from his original position....so Smith defelected it with help from a nice play by the first defender. Easy pick after that.