[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

did Denver waste a timeout?

hindukid

Game wasn't televised so I followed on nfl.com. It appears they called a timeout with 2:42 left. Absolutely terrible if they did. At 2:42 the clock won't run till the two minute warning and chargers would have to run a play. Calling timeout forced the chargers to run a play but than the clock ran for 37 seconds or so to the warning. It would have stopped at 2 minutes whether or not broncos used a timeout. That timeout cost them the game. Sounds like poor coaching to me.

The wasted time-out that really hurt them in the second half was the one called immediately after a TV time out. I couldn't tell what was going on other than Denver's offense looked in disarray for some reason. That time-out and the one you're talking about left them with only one. San Diego was able to run alot more time off the clock, and by the time Denver got the ball back it was too late! That kind of clock management from Shanahan was surprising to me.

But hey, I'll take a win over the Broncos no matter how it's accomplished, and if they want to help the Bolts, all the better! We're 9-3, baby!!!! :moon::moon::DB):D:yay:B):D:D

Game wasn't televised so I followed on nfl.com.  It appears they called a timeout with 2:42 left.  Absolutely terrible if they did.  At 2:42 the clock won't run till the two minute warning and chargers would have to run a play.  Calling timeout forced the chargers to run a play but than the clock ran for 37 seconds or so to the warning.  It would have stopped at 2 minutes whether or not broncos used a timeout.  That timeout cost them the game.  Sounds like poor coaching to me.

595029[/snapback]

Shannahan continues to blow games for his team with his horrible play calling. At least 5 times in the last 2 years, he has called passing plays when running plays are the right calls.

Last year, up by 3, with under 2 minutes to play, he attempts to pass, stops the clock with an incompletion and allows two teams to kick the tying field goals with less than 3 seconds on the clock. Clearly, a running play to kill clock and force the opponent to burn a TO is the call.

Yesterday, Denver has a first and goal from the 8, down by 3. What does he do?? You guessed, calls a fade and gets picked. This, at the time of the game when SD seemed to be worn down.

Skeletor is a bone head!

I'm starting to think Shanny needs to go as well. However, I think the real problem is Plummer. He constantly throws int's at the worst time. He's done it all year and even a little last year. The problem is that they are stuck with him. A team that is always in the hunt for the division title isn't going to start over with a rookie QB.

It was fourth down so he needed to pick up the first.  He should have headed toward the sideline, tried to get the first down and then dive out of bounds.

595396[/snapback]

Well I'll be ... it was 4th.

Looks like he did get the 1st down but did not get out of bounds.

4-10-SD46 (:08) (Shotgun) J.Plummer pass to D.Watts to SD 36 for 10 yards (D.Edwards, Q.Jammer).

Well I'll be ... it was 4th.

Looks like he did get the 1st down but did not get out of bounds.

4-10-SD46 (:08) (Shotgun) J.Plummer pass to D.Watts to SD 36 for 10 yards (D.Edwards, Q.Jammer).

595424[/snapback]

It was impossible to get the first AND get out of bounds. There were two defenders blocking the way to the first down sideline marker. It wasn't Watts' fault, Denver should have called a longer sideline pass play.

Game wasn't televised so I followed on nfl.com.  It appears they called a timeout with 2:42 left.  Absolutely terrible if they did.  At 2:42 the clock won't run till the two minute warning and chargers would have to run a play.  Calling timeout forced the chargers to run a play but than the clock ran for 37 seconds or so to the warning.  It would have stopped at 2 minutes whether or not broncos used a timeout.  That timeout cost them the game.  Sounds like poor coaching to me.

595029[/snapback]

Sitting with my buddy who kicked my ass in my local, but is also the biggest Bronco fan I know, he was going crazy with this.

They did call a timeout at 2:42 AFTER the Chargers had just gotten a first down.

I don't see how it made a difference in the game. :D They still blew their other time out, and whenever they decided to use their remaining 2, they still wouldn't have had one to use for their final drive.

It was impossible to get the first AND get out of bounds.  There were two defenders blocking the way to the first down sideline marker.  It wasn't Watts' fault, Denver should have called a longer sideline pass play.

595430[/snapback]

It sure looked that way to me as well. But, he needed to give it a try, no?

It was impossible to get the first AND get out of bounds.  There were two defenders blocking the way to the first down sideline marker.  It wasn't Watts' fault, Denver should have called a longer sideline pass play.

595430[/snapback]

The look on Shanahan's face when Watts stayed in was priceless. I believe he was saying "go out of bounds, why didn't you go out of bounds?". If I was Watts, I would've replied with "why didn't you call a deeper route? You want me out of bounds to stop the clock and not get the first down, or get the first down but let the clock run out?"

Edited for spelling

Edited by Whiskey Pimp

The look on Shanahan's face when Watts stayed in was priceless.  I believe he was saying "go out of bounds, why didn't you go out of bounds?".  If I was Watta, I would've replied with "why didn't you call a deeper route?  You want me out of bounds to stop the clock and not get the first down, or get the first down but let the clock run out?"

596116[/snapback]

Very well summarized.

It was fourth down so he needed to pick up the first.  He should have headed toward the sideline, tried to get the first down and then dive out of bounds.

595396[/snapback]

He was too far in to dive out of bounds. He should have angled toward the marker and then gone out. He ran away from out of bounds to get the first.

He was too far in to dive out of bounds. He should have angled toward the marker and then gone out. He ran away from out of bounds to get the first.

596288[/snapback]

Watts would have been stopped dead in his tracks, SD were all set up for that exact event with two defenders there - that's why he went inside, it wasn't possible to both make the first down marker AND get out of bounds. Hence the play call was wrong.

In Plummer's defense, three of those four INTs were not his fault. Two went right into the receivers' hands and popped out and in the third case the ball actually hit the TE in the numbers and bounced up into the air. The last and most damaging one, on 1st and goal from the Chargers 7, was his fault. Instead of throwing to the outside of Rod Smith he threw to the inside. Droughns was having some success running at that point and we should have kept running him.

As for Watts, I don't think he had much choice but to turn inside and hope he could go outside. But I'm still pissed at him for not catching that TD pass as the end of the Raider game (just before the blocked FG). The ball went right through his hands.

Skeletor is a bone head!

595345[/snapback]

Yeah, a bonehead who won back-to-back SBs, has only had one losing season in 9+ years as a head coach, and can turn any backup or journeyman HB into a Pro Bowler.

Shanahan may have not managed his timeouts well yesterday, but he's FAR from a "bonehead." :D