[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Rule question

DMD

Does a division, say - the NFC West - have to have a divisional winner go to the playoffs? It seems so unfair to other teams with winning records that are not lucky enough to be in the NFC West. :D

Does a division, say - the NFC West - have to have a divisional winner go to the playoffs? It seems so unfair to other teams with winning records that are not lucky enough to be in the NFC West. :D

596933[/snapback]

Not only that, but they are seeded higher than any wildard team regardless of record. We follow the same rules in our FF league.

I was afraid of this when they created the 8-division layout. I thought they would revise the playoff system at the same time they made the new divisions - it just made sense that would be the case. At the very least, I thought they would add two new playoff teams, to off-set the two new division teams in the playoffs.

Personally, I think the best solution would be one of two: extend the playoffs to include one more week of wild-card playoffs - to allow the "real" teams a chance to play. Or, take the top-4 teams from the entire league to be the wildcard teams (which could possibly result in two same-conference teams playing...but if they were the two best teams...why not?).

I was afraid of this when they created the 8-division layout. I thought they would revise the playoff system at the same time they made the new divisions - it just made sense that would be the case. At the very least, I thought they would add two new playoff teams, to off-set the two new division teams in the playoffs.

Personally, I think the best solution would be one of two: extend the playoffs to include one more week of wild-card playoffs - to allow the "real" teams a chance to play. Or, take the top-4 teams from the entire league to be the wildcard teams (which could possibly result in two same-conference teams playing...but if they were the two best teams...why not?).

I feel your pain, but let's not make the NFL playoffs as weak as the NBA/NHL.

, where just about everybody makes the playoffs. In the NFL they have single game matchups, not best of 5 or 7, and on any given Sunday, anything can happen. Adding more teams to the playoffs only increases the chance that a less deserving team goes deeper in the playoffs because the better team they play against may have injuries/not up for game/dumb luck/etc..

12 out of 32 is more than a third, and IMHO, is enough.

I for one, have no problem letting the division champs (regardless of how strong the division is in said year) go to the playoffs. The old adage "what goes around,comes around" applies. The NFC-west may not be strong this year, but over the long haul, they will rise up, and another division will weaken....... Hell..... my hometown team (the Falcons) use to be in the crappiest division in football at one point, sharing the division with inept teams like the Saints and Panthers not to mention the Falcons themselves. But in recent years have sent the Bucs and Panthers to the Dance...... the ups and downs of the division is just a part of the NFL.