[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did anyone else find this NOT surprising?

Hugh 0ne

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is another major sport that does as little as baseball to police the use of steroids.

597731[/snapback]

That's what happens when the league lets the player's union push them around for too long. The MLBPA doesn't care one bit about the good of the game. All they care about is empowering the players as much as humanly possible and making them as much money as humanly possible. I hope that McCain goes after them and smashes them to pieces.

The MLBPA doesn't care one bit about the good of the game. 

597838[/snapback]

...or the health of the players. Look at all the lives that are ruined later by the use of performance-enhancing drugs! :D

That's what happens when the league lets the player's union push them around for too long.  The MLBPA doesn't care one bit about the good of the game.  All they care about is empowering the players as much as humanly possible and making them as much money as humanly possible.  I hope that McCain goes after them and smashes them to pieces.

597838[/snapback]

Those nasty players, why do they play a game just to take the money of those hard working owners?

Those nasty players, why do they play a game just to take the money of those hard working owners?

597920[/snapback]

The skyrocketing prices of MLB player salaries result in higher ticket prices for fans and the lack of a salary cap renders the bottom third of each league out of contention by Spring Training every year. What good can come out of that?

The skyrocketing prices of MLB player salaries result in higher ticket prices for fans and the lack of a salary cap renders the bottom third of each league out of contention by Spring Training every year.  What good can come out of that?

598008[/snapback]

Those *** players and the way they force those owners to sign over their paychecks! Baseball is a free market economy. Salaries are in correlation to revenues.

Unlike football, where it's a commune-like peace and love thing.

Edited by godtomsatan

Uh. Can we please not talk about baseball in my thread. Baseball is for homos. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

598042[/snapback]

I tried to bring up hockey, but they all went right back to baseball. :D

Oh, and please be careful with the use of the word "homo." I seem to recall a recent flame war that was sparked by the repeated use of "homo." Not that there is anythign wrong with homos or those that use the word. B)

Boston's a straight narcissict - why a WR would feel the need to bulk up like that is beyond me. That said, I think some people (not talking about anyone here) are going a little nuts with the "if you gain muscle, you're on roids" line of attack. Case in point - local radio guy was going off the other day on this topic and said "all those protein powders etc. that they sell in the magazines don't do anything - if you're big, you're on steroids." This just isn't true - I've used these products off and on for years and they work (I've been ignorantly accused of being on roids as well). I guess my point is that a lot of the Steroid Witch Hunt that we're seeing right now is built on ignorance of the fact that people can put on significant amounts of muscle w/o juicing.

Sorry for the rant.

I must have missed something, who's nutsack? There are a lot of candidates. :D

598051[/snapback]

Nutsack is Swerski's creative rendition of my screen name.

Water under the bridge, Bill - no need to start it up again.

Baseball is a free market economy.

Unlike football, where it's a commune-like peace and love thing.

598076[/snapback]

Which is why the NFL is popular everywhere, but nobody outside of New York and Boston cares about baseball anymore. :D

Boston's a straight narcissict - why a WR would feel the need to bulk up like that is beyond me.  That said, I think some people (not talking about anyone here) are going a little nuts with the "if you gain muscle, you're on roids" line of attack.  Case in point - local radio guy was going off the other day on this topic and said "all those protein powders etc. that they sell in the magazines don't do anything - if you're big, you're on steroids."  This just isn't true - I've used these products off and on for years and they work (I've been ignorantly accused of being on roids as well).  I guess my point is that a lot of the Steroid Witch Hunt that we're seeing right now is built on ignorance of the fact that people can put on significant amounts of muscle w/o juicing.

Sorry for the rant.

598103[/snapback]

Agreed. I know MANY college athletes who took creatine and phosphagen and had experienced increased strength benefits with no discernable ill side effects (except that phosphagen apparently casuses constipation :D ). Legal supplements work. That said, nobody gets as big and strong in such a short period time as Sammy Sosa by taking supplements that don't contain steroids or steroid precursors.

Also agreed that Boston is a narcissict. I remember reading an article where Boston allegedly told one of his Cardinals teammates to not hit him in the chest during practice because he was wearing nipple rings. What a freak.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Which is why the NFL is popular everywhere, but nobody outside of New York and Boston cares about baseball anymore.  :D

598162[/snapback]

Explain 100,000,000 in attendance @ MLB games. Explain 20 new stadiums built with taxpayer dollars in Seattle, San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC (soon), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland (plus wherever else I missed) in the last 10 years.

The NFL is huge and football is the American pastime, but baseball's a very very healthy business.

Explain 100,000,000 in attendance @ MLB games. Explain 20 new stadiums built with taxpayer dollars in Seattle, San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC (soon), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland (plus wherever else I missed) in the last 10 years.

598182[/snapback]

Explain why attendance in Tampa, Pittsburgh, Denver, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland have been severely down over the past couple years. Explain why the Expos are now defunct. Explain why the defending World Champion Florida Marlins only averaged 22,000 per game this year.

Baseball may be a healthy business, but it's clearly been on the decline since the strike. The lack of comptitive balance is clearly a problem and the steroid scandal is going to make things even worse.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Explain why attendance in Tampa, Pittsburgh, Denver, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland have been severely down over the past couple years.  Explain why the Expos are now defunct.  Explain why the defending World Champion Florida Marlins only averaged 22,000 per game this year.

Dunno, explain why the Big Red Machine never averaged more than 20,000?

Baseball may be a healthy business, but it's clearly been on the decline since the strike.  The lack of comptitive balance is clearly a problem and the steroid scandal is going to make things even worse.

598203[/snapback]

Baseball is as popular as it has ever been. Franchise values are incomparable to what they were 15 years ago. The lack of competitive balance is irrelevant.

The steroid thing will be an issue, but if the players strike didn't drive fans from the game, this won't either.