[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Starting To Get Revved Up

Easy n Dirty

I am as excited for this weekend's Jets game as I've been for any Jets game since...well, I guess only since week 6 when they played the Pats in a battle of unbeatens.

Jets are not getting any attention right now in the NFL. The three elite teams are considered a cut above the rest of the league, and rightfully so. But even among the next tier of teams, you hear alot more about the Colts and even the Chargers, who both sport the same 9-3 record as the Jets. The schedule has been extremely kind to the Jets, so this Sunday gives us all a chance to see if they are legit. In their only other games against arguably "legit" squads, the Jets beat the Chargers back in week 2 when noone knew that San Diego was any good, they lost to the Pats 13-7, they lost a fiasco to the Ravens 20-17, and they split with Buffalo.

This Steeler game should be a tight game with points at a premium. The loss of John Abraham will hurt the Jets, the backup is Bryan thomas, a former first-rounder who did very little his first two seasons, but who has played well in spot duty this year. Still, he's undersized for a defensive end (listed at 266), more of a pass-rushing end who relies on speed, so I'd look for the Steelers to run at him early and often. He'll typically line up at right end, and the Steelers would probably just as soon run away from Shaun Ellis on the other end, who's very good against the run. Jets are 6th in the NFL against the run, up from 28th last season. Rookie Jonathan Vilma at MLB and free agent acquisition Eric Barton at outside LB have been a big part of the turnaround, they'll have to come up big Sunday for the Jets to win. When Big Ben drops back to pass, he may have more time than other Jets opponents due to the absence of Abraham, although Thomas has been able to exert pressure in limited action this year, and we still have Ellis coming from the other side. Rothlisberger has been taking sacks quite a bit lately I believe. Jets secondary has been decent this season, but Hines Ward and Randle-El both scare me. They've created some turnovers of late, but the rookie has only thrown 6 INTs this season, so it's tough to count on that.

I'm not sure if the Jets can move the ball on the Steelers. I'd expect the Steelers to focus first on taking away Curtis Martin and try to force Pennington to beat them. Historically, the Steelers have always been solid against the run and the way to beat them was to throw the ball 40 times or more. I don't think that's been the case this year, but I did see some of that in the jags game this past week as the Jags seemed to make big play after big play in the passing game. But this really doesn't play to the Jets strnegth at all. Pennington looked pretty good in his return last week, but that was against Houston and the Jets continue to have trouble getting the ball to their wideouts. Pennington's strength is accuracy and intelligence - he does not have a bazooka by any stretch of the imagination. jets o-line is excellent, however, so he should have at least a little bit of time back there. DMD cites some pretty intimidating stats for the Steelers "D" in his Game predictions (if you can wade your way through all the typos :D ), especially at Pittsburgh. Could be tough going.

Both teams can run the ball, both teams can defend the run, and neither team commits many turnovers. If form holds, I'd expect this one to be settled in the last 7 minutes or so and could go down to the wire. Kicking game could be a factor. DMD has the Steelers winning 23-13 - I think it'll definitely be closer than that, but must admit to some reservations as to whether or not we can win in Pittsburgh. I think we'll hold the Steelers offesne reasoanbly in check, but will have to get in the end zone and not settle for field goals in order to win. I don't want to pick a final score, but I like the Jets alot getting 5-1/2.

I am as excited for this weekend's Jets game as I've been for any Jets game since...well, I guess only since week 6 when they played the Pats in a battle of unbeatens.

Jets are not getting any attention right now in the NFL.  The three elite teams are considered a cut above the rest of the league, and rightfully so.  But even among the next tier of teams, you hear alot more about the Colts and even the Chargers, who both sport the same 9-3 record as the Jets.  The schedule has been extremely kind to the Jets, so this Sunday gives us all a chance to see if they are legit.  In their only other games against arguably "legit" squads, the Jets beat the Chargers back in week 2 when noone knew that San Diego was any good, they lost to the Pats 13-7, they lost a fiasco to the Ravens 20-17, and they split with Buffalo.

This Steeler game should be a tight game with points at a premium.  The loss of John Abraham will hurt the Jets, the backup is Bryan thomas, a former first-rounder who did very little his first two seasons, but who has played well in spot duty this year.  Still, he's undersized for a defensive end (listed at 266), more of a pass-rushing end who relies on speed, so I'd look for the Steelers to run at him early and often.  He'll typically line up at right end, and the Steelers would probably just as soon run away from Shaun Ellis on the other end, who's very good against the run.  Jets are 6th in the NFL against the run, up from 28th last season.  Rookie Jonathan Vilma at MLB and free agent acquisition Eric Barton at outside LB have been a big part of the turnaround, they'll have to come up big Sunday for the Jets to win.  When Big Ben drops back to pass, he may have more time than other Jets opponents due to the absence of Abraham, although Thomas has been able to exert pressure in limited action this year, and we still have Ellis coming from the other side.  Rothlisberger has been taking sacks quite a bit lately I believe.  Jets secondary has been decent this season, but Hines Ward and Randle-El both scare me.  They've created some turnovers of late, but the rookie has only thrown 6 INTs this season, so it's tough to count on that.

I'm not sure if the Jets can move the ball on the Steelers.  I'd expect the Steelers to focus first on taking away Curtis Martin and try to force Pennington to beat them.  Historically, the Steelers have always been solid against the run and the way to beat them was to throw the ball 40 times or more.  I don't think that's been the case this year, but I did see some of that in the jags game this past week as the Jags seemed to make big play after big play in the passing game.  But this really doesn't play to the Jets strnegth at all.  Pennington looked pretty good in his return last week, but that was against Houston and the Jets continue to have trouble getting the ball to their wideouts.  Pennington's strength is accuracy and intelligence - he does not have a bazooka by any stretch of the imagination.  jets o-line is excellent, however, so he should have at least a little bit of time back there.  DMD cites some pretty intimidating stats for the Steelers "D" in his Game predictions (if you can wade your way through all the typos  :D ), especially at Pittsburgh.  Could be tough going.

Both teams can run the ball, both teams can defend the run, and neither team commits many turnovers.  If form holds, I'd expect this one to be settled in the last 7 minutes or so and could go down to the wire.  Kicking game could be a factor.  DMD has the Steelers winning 23-13 - I think it'll definitely be closer than that, but must admit to some reservations as to whether or not we can win in Pittsburgh.  I think we'll hold the Steelers offesne reasoanbly in check, but will have to get in the end zone and not settle for field goals in order to win.  I don't want to pick a final score, but I like the Jets alot getting 5-1/2.

599037[/snapback]

Very good assessment. I am pumped up for this one as well. I expect it to be similar to the Jags game, as the Jets play a similar type of football. It will be close, but I feel confident that my Steelers will come through and pull out the victory at home. It should be fun to watch and don't forget to add at least 3 points to the Steelers due to the fact that I will be in the crowd this weekend. :D

I hope Burress plays, Randle-el's speed makes me nervous, he is explosive. I think the Jets' safeties will play up close, and will try some run-blitzes in an attempt to force the Steelers out of thier run first offensive schemes. This will put a lot of pressure on the corners, as they will have to play some man to man, instead of thier standard cover two scheme.

Nice assessment, Easy.... I dont see the Jets leaving thier run first offensive game plan either, Herm Edwards will try to win with strength against strength. This could be a mistake.... like it was in the NE game. Without some medium length passes, the Pitt LB's will forget about any defending in pass coverage and play run only. The lack of a good recieving TE will hurt the Jets in this game. If Chrebet has a good game, the Jets will stay in this game. He will run a lot of those short and medium slants just past the linebackers from the slot. If the Pitt safeties come up to defend that, and Pennington doesnt go deep once in a while to keep them honest, again, the Jets offense is in trouble.

If the Jets can somehow pull off an upset, it will be because of Pennington's ability to make reads and changing the play at the line. The crowd noise at Heinz could make that a problem, though. Dwayne Robinson has to have a big game, and he looks like a future all pro. He is the anchor on the D line against the run, but has also developed into a good pass rusher. He stays at home on the pass rush, meaning in his rushing lane, and can collapse the pocket, giving the DE's a chance for a sack. With Rothlisberger being a pocket passer, his play will be a key to the Jets defensive success. The Steelers may have to double team him when running the ball and Vilma along with Barton must come up big in run support.

I also like the Jets and the points.... as for a win, in Heinz.... that would be very hard to do. Any given Sunday....

OK, you caught me.... allow me to say that Ben is no Vick.... he is tough, and he CAN run.... and no, I havent seen him much. But.... I have seen the Jets alot. Rothlisberger is no Vick or Mcnabb however, and the Jets defense is a speed D.... they run down QB's once they are forced from the pocket. That comment was from a Jets perspective, not a Steeler one.

Hey, the Steelers should OWN the Jets this week at Heinz. They have only one loss, and with Rothlisberger they havent lost all year. He proved he could win a game in the last two minutes last week to boot. The Steelers should win this one sleep walking. The Jets have no deep threat, and won't be able to run the ball much, even with the NFL's leading rushing running back. Staley should rush for over a hundred, and Bettis gets 3 short rushing TD's. The Jets will probably mail this one in, having a wild card all but sewn up.

On the other hand, Pitt is playing for home field in the playoffs, and have much more to play for. I admit, I am just a Jets homer, stupidly thinking they have a chance. They don't. You guys are right. Just homerism on my part.

Jeez Rover's all I said was Big Ben wasn't a pocket passer and you extrapolate that I called you a homer (you certainly are a homer, but I didn't call you one :D ).

I don't think the game will be a blowout because the Jets are pretty good at stoping the run. However, I do see a fairly comfortable Steeler's vicotry... say 24 - 14.

Very nice assessment, EnD. I can tell you one or two things then I have to put my ball gag in my mouth.

Roth has taken a lot of sacks over the past few games but I for one view that as a good thing as far as Roth is not going to toss the ball out there in a bad situation. He is willing to live for another down. You don't see that sort of discipline in young, even a lot of vet players.

I also see Antowain as a hugh positive. Not saying that I don't want Burress back in there. Just saying that if I am the offensive coordinator for the Steelers then I am putting the ball in his hands a few more times than they are now. Every play that he touches the ball has the capability to be a home run.

This is going to be a great game. The Steelers have all the home field motivation and the fans know it. Look for the 12th man to make a difference in this one.

GO STEELERS!