[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League Debate...I need your help!

Phazool

Ed Reed intercepted Carson Palmer for 15 yards. Ed Reed fumbled. Chris McAlister recovered fumble and returned for 64 yard TD (Matt Stover made PAT)

The owner of the BAL DEF feels he should have won his game because of that defensive TD...the commish is in agreement and is waiting untill saturday for yahoo to make the change, or he will do it himself.

I am almost certain that there is a rule in the NFL about def becoming offense once there is a turnover..therfore, when Reed fumbled the INT, and Mcallister picked it up, it was considered an Offensive FR and a TD to follow. So no DEF TD.

Am I right? Do you guys have any credible proof of this? The guy who stands to lose this game will be eliminated from th playoffs if he does.

I remembered what the big to do was about last year.

1-10-TB 33 (5:17) 14-B.Johnson pass intended for 85-K.Dilger INTERCEPTED by 20-M.Doss at IND 41. 20-M.Doss to TB 44 for 15 yards (76-J.Wade). FUMBLES (76-J.Wade), touched at TB 43, RECOVERED by TB-87-K.McCardell at TB 43. 87-K.McCardell for 57 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Folks said once Doss intecepted the pass the TB offense became the defense. Then Doss fumbled and McCardell recovered and ran it in for a TD. Delusional folks wanted a TB defensive score.

If it's true that once a defense intercepts a ball that they become the offense and the other team original offense becomes the defense.....then there would never be a defensive score :D

:D

It is a Def. TD and has been scored that way. The commish is correct and should make the change.

600847[/snapback]

It has? By who? what credibility does your statement have? I think I am going to need solid proof to calm these guys down once they realize whats going on.

It has? By who? what credibility does your statement have?  I think I am going to need solid proof to calm these guys down once they realize whats going on.

600854[/snapback]

Just tell them that if having the ball means you're on offense & not having it means you're on defense.......then there would NEVER be a defensive score.

Simple enough?

It has? By who? what credibility does your statement have?  I think I am going to need solid proof to calm these guys down once they realize whats going on.

600854[/snapback]

Name Tm RuYdAll PaYdAll SACK SackYd FBR INT PRTD KRTD FumTD InTD BkTD Saf PtsA PtsAD PtsAST WLT Pts

Team Defense Bal 98 355 3 27 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 27 27 0 L 16.0

Totals: 98 355 3 27 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 27 27 0 0-1-0 16.0

I know this may be tough to follow without the formatting but, this is the way it was scored by TQ Stats. I've been using this service for some years and they've been correct thus far. This shows a def. FR for a TD.

To take this a step further, it can't be anything else than what it is; a def. td. To make an argument of the off. being on the field after a turnover is absurd, there would be no Def. scoring td's.

Baltimore Ravens 64 yard fumble recovery touchdown (6.00 pts)

Baltimore Ravens 3.0 sacks (1.00 pts)

Baltimore Ravens 1 fumble recovered (2.00 pts)

Baltimore Ravens 1 interception (2.00 pts)

Baltimore Ravens 453 total net yards allowed (-10.00 pts)

from rts scoring

Int: 1 Sack: 3

Fmbl: 1 Sfty: 0

Blocked FG: 0 Punt: 0

Fmbl TD: 1 (64)

Points Allowed: 27

Net Yards Allowed: 453

( Pass: 355 Rush: 98 )

Kick Return Yds: 104

Punt Return Yds: -4

fanball scoring

Last season, Brad Johnson was intercepted by an IND defensive player. He fumbled. McCardell, WR who BEGAN the play as on offensive player, picked up the fumble and returned it for a touchdown. Here's the gamebook account of that play:

"(5:17) B.Johnson pass intended for K.Dilger INTERCEPTED by M.Doss at IND 41. M.Doss to TB 44 for 15 yards (J.Wade). FUMBLES (J.Wade), touched at TB 43, RECOVERED by TB-K.McCardell at TB 43. K.McCardell for 57 yards, TOUCHDOWN."

The Tampa DEFENSIVE UNIT was credited for a fumble recovery and the touchdown in fantasy leagues. The reason: once McCardell and the team on the field in the Buc's uniforms no longer had the ball and were defending an endzone, they became a defensive unit. While I disagree with this line of thinking, if you look on the game stats for that game on NFL.com (below), you will notice that McCardell is NOT awarded offensive stats for that play nor that score: 2 passing TD's came directly from Johnson, and he has no rushing TD's listed

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20031006_IND@TB

Again, while I do not agree with the logic the NFL and fantasy leagues used last season (ESPN), I think it sets a precidentan argument that the opposite much be the case (BAL players running the INT back become the offensive unit).

That being said... EPSN (yuck - don't like them) League Manager scored last week's McAllister score as a TD for the BAL defensive unit, which I own. This season, it appears that it SHOULD count as a defensive TD (I agree, but am confused by ESPN's hypocritical ruling on these two situations).

So, yes, I think it should be counted as a TD. But check your league provider rules. Good luck!

I guess that's a good reason to have league stats stand as how the NFL scores the play but, I stand by what I said as far as the analogy given. If it were to go that way there would be no def. td's. There have been def. td's in the past, how could that be possible if the change of possession changes the squad on the field?

I guess that's a good reason to have league stats stand as how the NFL scores the play but, I stand by what I said as far as the analogy given. If it were to go that way there would be no def. td's. There have been def. td's in the past, how could that be possible if the change of possession changes the squad on the field?

600880[/snapback]

How about looking at it as the DEF team at the time they got the interception? So the defensive action caused the resulting TD...

Also, after Reed intercepted the ball, he fumbled it and the ball was recovered by another teammate of his, no change of possession and it is like a continuation of the interception play.

This kind of like the play where a WR catches the ball but fumbles it and another receiver (RB, whatever) picks it up and gets in the end zone.

My two cents anyway...

All I can offer is this snippet from the NFL Fans Basic Rules page:

Beginner's Guide to Football

One 11-man team has possession of the football. It is called the offense and it tries to advance the ball down the field-by running with the ball or throwing it - and score points by crossing the goal line and getting into an area called the end zone.

The other team (also with 11 players) is called the defense. It tries to stop the offensive team and make it give up possession of the ball. If the team with the ball does score or is forced to give up possession, the offensive and defensive teams switch roles (the offensive team goes on defense and the defensive team goes on offense). And so on, back and forth, until all four quarters of the game have been played.

Interpret it as you wish, but our league scored this as a DEF TD because it was a defensive play that directly resulted in a TD.

600854[/snapback]

NFL.com lists it as a fumble return, and Yahoo has already scored it as a TD for the DEF. Not sure why your commish thinks he needs to change it.

Hey Thanks to all that responded!

As someone said earlier, Yahoo fixed it on Thursday morning (today)....they did score it a DEF TD.

I feel bad for the guy who thought he was in the playoffs .............oh well, better him than me.

In that TB game was the Indy defense charged with a fumble?  And was that scored as negative points for the Indy defense in fantasy leagues?  Or positive for the recovery and negative for the fumble back?

601547[/snapback]

The Indy defensive player was charged with a fumble lost, and if a league was set up so that defensive teams lost points for lost fumbles, then they would have been charged for it. As it is, I have never seen a scoring system that charges a defensive team for a lost fumble, mainly because they way most sites score team positions is by using total team stats (ie, ALL lost fumbles would get charged to the team defense regardless of when or how they happened), and secondly because it is an extremely rare occurence.