[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brief comparison of Marino/Manning's seasons

I Like Soup

"So how do we compare Peyton's 44 TDs, soon to be ???, with Marino's 48 in 1984? Peyton's primary wideouts are Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. Marino had the Marks brothers, Duper and Clayton. Kind of a tossup there. The Markses had 26 TD catches, Harrison and Wayne have 22 and counting. Add nine more by the third wideout, Brandon Stokley, compared to Marino's No. 3, Nat Moore (six), and at least on numbers, you'd have to give the Colts the overall wideout edge. Edgerrin James is a lot better runner than either of Marino's two running backs, Tony Nathan or Woody Bennett, but Nathan was a better receiver, with 61 catches, two for TDs (James' numbers are 38 and zero). Finally the tight ends, Indy's Marcus Pollard and Dallas Clark (41 combined catches, 11 TDs) vs. Miami's Dan Johnson and Bruce Hardy (62 and eight). I'd have to give the edge to the current vintage, on look-ahead. So what does all this prove? Beats me. I just had fun looking all this up." - Dr. Z

I guess the only thing I would add is Marino's numbers were in his first full season (QB is the hardest position right?) and Manning is in his what?....seventh? I really don't know what effect the couple of expansions have had on the talent pool and if defenses are more complex but I thought this would be an interesting tidbit nonetheless! Enjoy!

The best comparison to me is that both seasons have been fun to witness.

Marino's season was nearly flawless and his QB Rating that year was 108.9.

But so far this year Manning is having the best overall season at QB in the History of the League. His QB rating through last week is an amazing 126.3.

Whether you're a Colts fan or not, you must admit Manning is setting an amazing new standard for excellence at the QB Position.

The best comparison to me is that both seasons have been fun to witness.

Marino's season was nearly flawless and his QB Rating that year was 108.9.

But so far this year Manning is having the best overall season at QB in the History of the League. His QB rating through last week is an amazing 126.3.

Whether you're a Colts fan or not, you must admit Manning is setting an amazing new standard for excellence at the QB Position.

601517[/snapback]

Exactly. He's fun to watch if your team isn't getting gouged at the time.

How about comparing Manning to Bonds of the SF Giants---both are on steroids undectable by tests---Bonds sets HR single season record--Manning TD's in a season....Bonds was unbelievable that year--Manning is unbelievable this year...proof in the pudding--Bonds took steroids in the form of steroids and Manning took steroids in the form of the biggest steroid of all---the one that panics "D" coordinators as they prepare for him and the Colts and paralyzes defenses at the line of scrimmage with his audibles and uncanny ability to pick the play that makes him and the Colts look super-human.....every team in the NFL wants whatever Manning is on for their QB....Marino was great but Manning owns the record soon and they should put an asterik beside his record season for "INCREDIBLE"!!! Can't wiat to see if a team can stop them or they will be the new Champs!! JMHO :D