[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question From Start/Bench List

Easy n Dirty

As an Andre Johnson owner, there was something in the Start/Bench list that cuaght my eye.

WW makes the point that because none of the Colts' cornerbacks can cover Andre Johnson one-on-one, he'll probbaly see double-teams from a safety, something he has struggled with at times this season. My question, perhaps out of ignorance more than anything else: hasn't this been the case in every game this season? There are few if any corners who can consistently deal with Andre Johnson's combination of size and speed every play. Between that and the fact that Houston doesn't have much of a threat anywhere else in their passing game, wouldn't Andre Johnson be seeing double-teams for a good portion of every game?

Just wondering if there's truly something specific about the way the Colts are gonna' cover Andre Johnson that I should be concerned about. Not a big deal, as long as his injury isn't serious he's starting for me regardless, just curious.

I do see that he has yet to have a strong game against the Colts in three outings so far: 4 for 29 yards and 5 for 51 yards last season, and 6 for 59 earlier this season with another 14 rushing yards thrown in.

This double-team excuse for Andre Johnson is wearing pretty thin for me. What good-to-dominant receiver is not double-teamed in the NFL? Safety support is manadatory against these guys but it rarely has the effect that everyone claims it has on AJ. Now, AJ is only a soph and Carr has struggled a bit this year so maybe that's got something to do with it. No way a WR with AJ's package should be shut down by a double-team week in and week out.

It's the same crazy talk that people are using to explain Hines Ward's disappearance. And you don't think he got double-teamed like crazy last year? The difference was that he was all that Maddox looked for last year.

This double-team excuse for Andre Johnson is wearing pretty thin for me.  What good-to-dominant receiver is not double-teamed in the NFL?  Safety support is manadatory against these guys but it rarely has the effect that everyone claims it has on AJ.  Now, AJ is only a soph and Carr has struggled a bit this year so maybe that's got something to do with it.  No way a WR with AJ's package should be shut down by a double-team week in and week out.

It's the same crazy talk that people are using to explain Hines Ward's disappearance.  And you don't think he got double-teamed like crazy last year?  The difference was that he was all that Maddox looked for last year.

601775[/snapback]

He's in this league for not even two years, and there is no other target. Plus he has been hitting the hard D's in the league, since his 5 week sprint to start the season.

Even Holt had to struggle, with other targets on the team as well.

I can't imagine DMD has time to watch Houston Texans game film enough to tell you EXACTLY when Johnson has struggled with double teams. It's best guess of one of the most experienced fantasy football guys in the industry. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's been said before -- take the start/bench list info for what it's worth. Andre Johnson will be double-teamed most of the game, I'm sure. He's also a very talented receiver on a team that figures to be playing from behind. Make your own decision.

I can't imagine DMD has time to watch Houston Texans game film enough to tell you EXACTLY when Johnson has struggled with double teams. It's best guess of one of the most experienced fantasy football guys in the industry. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's been said before -- take the start/bench list info for what it's worth. Andre Johnson will be double-teamed most of the game, I'm sure. He's also a very talented receiver on a team that figures to be playing from behind. Make your own decision.

602209[/snapback]

Don't get your panties all in a bunch just because I asked a question about the Start/Bench list. I wasn't even challenging what was said, nor was I asking anyone to make any decisions for me, just asking a question for clarification's sake. And it's because of the experience you cite that I was asking, because I find the info valuable.

Too many Huddle apologists around here IMO.

Don't get your panties all in a bunch just because I asked a question about the Start/Bench list.  I wasn't even challenging what was said, nor was I asking anyone to make any decisions for me, just asking a question for clarification's sake.  And it's because of the experience you cite that I was asking, because I find the info valuable.

Too many Huddle apologists around here IMO.

602222[/snapback]

MY panties are in a bunch? :D I think you misunderstood what I wrote.

I was speaking in strictly general terms and I don't think anything I said could be considered "Huddle-apologist". If anything, my first paragraph was critical of WW (I incorrectly referenced DMD in my first post -- I forgot it was WW who wrote the start/bench list).

The statement you were asking about was, indeed, a curious one. I happen to agree that it doesn't make much sense. In fact, I find similar statements almost every time I read that piece. All I was trying to say was that there is probably not a "real" explanation for that particular part of what WW wrote.

It seems to me that he has a hunch that Indy will focus all their defensive attention to stopping Andre Johnson and, therefore, he won't have as good a game as the matchup might indicate. I think WW probably could have done better at explaining his reasoning, but I still respect his opinion.

Basically, I don't blame you for being curious, but (a) your question did sound a little more like criticism and (b ) I wouldn't count on the kind of answer from Whitney that you might want.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

He's in this league for not even two years, and there is no other target. Plus he has been hitting the hard D's in the league, since his 5 week sprint to start the season.

Even Holt had to struggle, with other targets on the team as well.

602142[/snapback]

Yeah, I mentioned that he was a sophomore in the league, but the hard Ds? After week 5 he's played Tenn twice, Indy and Green Bay. Hardly top Ds. I just find it somewhat puzzling that everone talks about what a stud he is but he gets shutdown by doubleteams. Hey, I have him on my team and I'd love to see him play the first 5 weeks, but it's not happening.