[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is football the most popular pro sport in the US

kcmast

Is football the most popular pro sport in the US  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is football the most popular pro sport in the US

• NASCAR
    • MLB
    • NFL
    • NBA
    • MLS

Argument at work of whether NASCAR is the most popular sport in America. The argument for was that they draw over 100,000 to every event. I argued that it's 1 event per week vs. other sports having multiple games. Opinions? References to surveys?

There is a debate here to whether NASCAR is really a sport - as there is a machine (car) doing all the moving where the person is maneuvering the machine.

And have you ever hear of a race-car driver as an "athelete"? :D

There is a debate here to whether NASCAR is really a sport - as there is a machine (car) doing all the moving where the person is maneuvering the machine.

And have you ever hear of a race-car driver as an "athelete"? :D

601649[/snapback]

Actually it takes a lot of strength, endurance, and concentration. I hate the sport, but don't races go on for 3-4 hours.

The Huddle might, just MIGHT, give you skewed results towards football.  Just a hunch.

601655[/snapback]

I'm sure it will, but I was looking for arguments to use and any info to back up my football view.

And isn't it best to support your view by only tallking to people that will agree with you? That's why I only watch Fox News.

Edited by kcmast

You have MLS as a choice? :D

601651[/snapback]

Heh - that was gonna be my comment.

Regardless wether NASCAR is considered a sport or not, it is still incredibly popular. I'd say it ranks right behind football, with football being #1 of course.

I'm sure it will, but I was looking for arguments to use and any info to back up my football view.

And isn't it best to support your view by only tallking to people that will agree with you?  That's why I only watch Fox News.

601659[/snapback]

I'm right with you. Hopefully your coworkers aren't aware of the "lies, *** lies, and statistics" POV, though.

Argument at work of whether NASCAR is the most popular sport in America.  The argument for was that they draw over 100,000 to every event.  I argued that it's 1 event per week vs. other sports having multiple games.  Opinions?  References to surveys?

601641[/snapback]

601659[/snapback]

There is a debate here to whether NASCAR is really a sport

601649[/snapback]

:D

And isn't it best to support your view by only tallking to people that will agree with you?  That's why I only watch Fox News.

601659[/snapback]

Hilarious. :D

kcmast, your coworkers have no leg to stand on with the attendance figures they are using. They need to come up with some other ridiculous angle. You may proceed to beat them about the head neck and shoulders. Note below:

2003 NFL total attendance - 34, 162,144

2004 MLB total attendance - 73,010,839

Lets give Nascar a 500,000 attendance (read: superspeedway) per event...there are 38 events scheduled for 2005. That gives them a paltry 19,000,000 to compare. Also, places like Dover, etc. only have an attendance of about 66,000.

2003 NFL total attendance - 34, 162,144

2004 MLB total attendance - 73,010,839

601719[/snapback]

A better comparison would be event sellouts. A 16 game schedule vs 160 game schedule makes for comparing apples to oranges.

Lets also not forget the popularity of college football.

Also, for those of you who receive SI, there is a lil piece in there that polls each state about favorite sport, rivalry, players, etc etc. Football, college and pro, almost always top the list for each state.....

I am not a NASCAR fan- I've watched some races here & there with my brother in law who is a HUGE fan, so I can take it or leave it really- NOTHING COMPARES TO NFL FOOTBALL. But you can't discount that NASCAR is pretty *** popular....

I think TV ratings are a pretty good indicator of nationwide popularity- sheer attendance numbers don't tell the whole story especially with baseball and their 162 games x 28 (or whatever teams), and even football with 14-16 games per week over a 17 week period. NASCAR has less than 40 "major league" events per year.

-this is from 2003 but still relevant I'd guess:

NASCAR

NASCAR races have led the weekend ratings as the No. 1 televised sporting event almost every weekend in 2003 since the season began in February. It is the second highest televised regular season sport in the United States, behind the National Football League, according to NASCAR reports. An average of 5.26 million households tuned in per race in 2002, according to NASCAR reports.

Here are some attendance facts from NASCAR records, which show just how large the sport is: The sport has 75 million fans nationwide, and more than 13 million fans came out to one of the three national series and the NASCAR Dodge Weekly series in 2002. A Winston Cup race may often times draw a larger crowd than a Super Bowl, NBA Finals game and World Series combined. Also 17 of the 20 highest attended sporting events nationwide in 2002 were NASCAR events.

Argument at work of whether NASCAR is the most popular sport in America.  The argument for was that they draw over 100,000 to every event.  I argued that it's 1 event per week vs. other sports having multiple games.  Opinions?  References to surveys?

601641[/snapback]

NASCAR = 1 Race - 43 Drivers - 125,000 fans through the gates per week.

NFL = 16 Games - 32 Teams - About 800,000 fans through the gates per week.

The question is, if there were 16 NASCAR races a week to choose from would they still draw 125,000 people per event?

I don't know.

But I do know that most of the Saturday Night NASCAR Races occur after the start of the NFL Season because NASCAR loses too many ratings points when they compete directly with NFL Games.

IMO the NFL is currently on top of the sports world. Take a look at the other sports. the NBA tarnished with thugery and violence as we all witnessed a few weeks ago in Det. MLB in the center of a steroid scandal that the Gvt is ready to get involved with if Selig doesn't do anything about it. Then the NHL a joke IMO. The NFL is cranking on all 8 cylinders right now.

If nfl owners could pack 120,000 people into the stand maybe that would change peoples minds...better yet perhaps we need to "think out of the box"...how could we make a sphereical football field, or maybe just make the field several miles long...wow that may cut down on scoring...probably not a good idea...unless we put a missle on the football :D ...well then we would have to have each player ride come kind of contraption to keep up with the ball...I'll keep thinking on this one.

:D

Edited by devilwoman

:D And your co-workers are probably Vikings fans, and you know better than that. :D

601737[/snapback]

All but for a couple of loyal Packer fans like myself who for some god foresaken reason wandered across the border.

The sad thing is of the 100,000 that attend the left turn clinics 95,000 of them are the same people who went to the race the week before!

NASCAR is only an excuse for people to get drunk and breath fumes somewhere outside of the trailer park!

The Huddle might, just MIGHT, give you skewed results towards football.  Just a hunch.

601655[/snapback]

:D - I thought offering the results from here may not neccessarily sway the opinions i fhis cowowrkers