[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gates vs. Dwight Smith

pseudolefty

There's actually another story that's getting some play in SD and Tampa: Gates and Dwight Smith are long-time buddies from Detroit. They grew up in the same neighborhood, went to the same high school, played on the same teams, and led their high school basketball team to the state championship.

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=4244

These guys will be going at it hard on Sun. to try to get the best of each other.

Despite talk about McCardell vs. the Bucs and Gates vs. Dwight Smith, I still think the way to beat the Bucs is on the ground with a whole lot of LT. The Panthers have had recent successes against the Bucs by pounding them on the ground with the likes of Stephen Davis (last year) and even Goings a few weeks ago. The Saints' McCallister has also success against the Bucs the last few years.

Another link about this battle:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20...10chargers.html

Here's some nice excerpts from their former high-school basketball coach:

"Antonio told me, quote-unquote, that Dwight is too small to guard me. He's always been too small to guard me, even in high school. Nothing has changed."

Smith, the former point guard, will be giving up 6 inches and some 40 pounds to Gates, the former frontcourt player. But Murphy said that won't matter when the game begins.

"Dwight is the type of guy who looks forward to challenges," Murphy said. "He would love to come to San Diego and not only shut Antonio down, but also win the game. He's like, 'I'm going to show you.' He thinks he's the toughest guy on earth."

I don't know about the rest, but those TB safeties are the fastest I've ever seen. Dwight Smith ran down Eddie Kennison earlier this year like Kennison was walking. And, in the first game of the season, Jermaine Phillips came from WAY behind and almost caught Clinton Portis before he reached the goal line.

Gates is faster and more athletic than most LBs and safeties, but his only 1-on-1 advantage this week will be his size. He better tell Drew to throw it high.