[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How would the NFL rule on someone

Fatman

A scenario that a buddy of mine and I were discussing: let's say a player is about to score a touchdown, running down the sidelines. A player/coach from the opposing team comes onto the field of play and trips/tackles him. Let's also say that time had expired and it would have been the last play of the game.

What would the ruling be? They can't rule it a TD, because something could have happened to stop it (fumble, tripping on his own). I'm guessing that it would be a personal foul and an ejection, but would it be a forfiet? Would the other team get the ball at the one with a single, untimed down?

Anyone know what the actual rule is? Has anything like this ever happened?

Dick Moegle & Tommy Lewis

The most famous play in college football history

--a Rice touchdown.

The 1953 Owls might've been as talented a group as

ever donned the Blue and Grey. Coached by Jess Neely in his prime, and led by All-Americans Kosse Johnson and John Hudson, and Kenny Paul, Leo Rucka, and Richard Chapman, all-SWC, the Owls also had an explosive back by the name of Dickie Maegle (then spelled "Moegle"). The Owls swept through the SWC schedule, with an early 12-7 loss to SMU the only blemish.

The Owls had beaten Texas, 18-13, in Austin, and

smothered the Aggies, 34-7, in Houston. By the time the New Year's Day Cotton Bowl match with Alabama loomed, the Taylor, Texas, scatback was on a roll. Against the Tide, he struck early and often. The day's stats would show, in a 28-6 victory, that Maegle rolled to 265 yards in only eleven carries, scoring three times, still a Cotton Bowl record. But the carry of the day was one that will live in the annals of college football history. In the second quarter, with the Owls already up 7-0, they set up shop on their own five yard line. Maegle took a quick pitch, broke off-tackle, and headed for the sidelines. With nothing but daylight ahead, he was headed for a 95-yard touchdown run.

On the 'Bama bench, Tommy Lewis, a reserve back, had had all he could take. Maegle was in the clear, at the Alabama 40, when Lewis burst off the bench to bring him down. Confusion reigned; the officials huddled. Coach Neely dashed across the field, challenging Tide coach Harold "Red" Drew. "Rayud, Rayud," he drawled, "whatevah did yo boy think he was up to?" Lewis moaned, "Coach, I was jus' so full of Ala-bahma." The officials awarded Rice the TD; the Owls won going away-- and both players later traveled to New York to tell about it on the Ed Sullivan show.

Dickie Maegle said he felt like Ed Sullivan treated him like the heel and Tommy Lewis

like a hero. "Heck, I was the one who scored the touchdown!" he's said.

Does anyone here remember a few years ago, during a Jacksonville/Pittsburgh game, a Jacksonville defensive player was running down the Pittsburgh side of the field sidelines to score a defensive TD, and Bill Cowher actually tried to stop the guy? I think he just took a swing or something at him, but I remember it cause I had Jax's D that year.

If I remember correctly, it was either a Sunday nite or Monday nite game.

Edited by bigmike4969

Does anyone here remember a few years ago, during a Jacksonville/Pittsburgh game, a Jacksonville defensive player was running down the Pittsburgh side of the field sidelines to score a defensive TD, and Bill Cowher actually tried to stop the guy? I think he just took a swing or something at him, but I remember it cause I had Jax's D that year.

If I remember correctly, it was either a Sunday nite or Monday nite game.

606161[/snapback]

I think it was a MNF game. Jax blocked a FG, and the guy scooped it up and was running down the Pittsburgh sideline. Cowher took a step toward him, and kind of clenched his fists, but he did not swing, make contact, or come onto the field of play.

If he had, the above posts are correct. It would be an automatic touchdown.

Edited by CaptainHook

I think it was a MNF game.  Jax blocked a  FG, and the guy scooped it up and was running down the Pittsburgh sideline.  Cowher took a step toward him, and kind of clenched his fists, but he did not swing, make contact, or come onto the field of play.

If he had, the above posts are correct.  It would be an automatic touchdown.

606521[/snapback]

:DB):moon:B):moon::D:moon::D:yay::D

I remember that.......*** that was funny......he always has that, "I'M GONNA SNAP" lokk going

beantown baby