[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ed Werder on Priest Holmes

Swiss Cheezhead

Link?

609130[/snapback]

Well, here is a link to one article.

Chiefs' Holmes: I'll Be Back in 2005

Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes (31) gets hit by Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Greg Spires during their game Sunday Nov. 7, 2004 in Tampa, Fla. Chiefs' star running back Priest Holmes will miss the rest of the season with a knee injury. Holmes, who was leading the NFL in scoring and rushing when he got hurt in early November, was placed on injured reserve Thursday , Dec. 9, 2004.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Despite a knee injury that ended his season, Priest Holmes says he is "definitely 100 percent" planning to be back for 2005.

"In terms of next year, I'm excited because of the fact that it gives me an opportunity to heal up and start preparing for the 2005 season," Kansas City's star running back said Friday, a day after the Chiefs put him on injured reserve.

"There are a lot of things we need to do. We left a lot of things on the table this year," Holmes said. "We're still playing, we're still in it in terms of winning some games and making sure we end the season the right way. But the 2005 season is going to be exciting because we know that there's a valuable lesson that we learned this year — and that is that when you start having guys go down, it makes it really difficult to win ball games."

Holmes, 31, was leading the NFL in rushing and scoring when he strained ligaments in his right knee at Tampa Bay on Nov. 7.

At first he thought he would be able to get back this year. But healing was slow, and since the Chiefs (4-8) are out of the playoff hunt, it was decided to shut him down for the rest of the season.

"The injury just gave me an opportunity to rest up and to get the body 100 percent," he said.

This is the third time injury has cut a season short for Holmes, who set an NFL record in 2003 with 27 touchdowns.

A knee injury his senior year in college forced him to come into the NFL as an undrafted free agent. He underwent hip surgery following the 2002 season and spoke of retirement after his big year in 2003.

But Friday, Holmes said his love for the game had not changed.

"The football has never left me. It never will, and I don't think there's any way that it could," he said. "It's a gift and something that I can't even control. I'd have to say that it's not necessarily something you have to train for ... it's just a God-given talent."

___

December 11, 2004 - 10:58 a.m. EST

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Despite a knee injury that ended his season, Priest Holmes says he is "definitely 100 percent" planning to be back for 2005.

"In terms of next year, I'm excited because of the fact that it gives me an opportunity to heal up and start preparing for the 2005 season," Kansas City's star running back said Friday, a day after the Chiefs put him on injured reserve.

"There are a lot of things we need to do. We left a lot of things on the table this year," Holmes said. "We're still playing, we're still in it in terms of winning some games and making sure we end the season the right way. But the 2005 season is going to be exciting because we know that there's a valuable lesson that we learned this year -- and that is that when you start having guys go down, it makes it really difficult to win ball games."

Holmes, 31, was leading the NFL in rushing and scoring when he strained ligaments in his right knee at Tampa Bay on Nov. 7.

At first he thought he would be able to get back this year. But healing was slow, and since the Chiefs (4-8) are out of the playoff hunt, it was decided to shut him down for the rest of the season.

"The injury just gave me an opportunity to rest up and to get the body 100 percent," he said.

This is the third time injury has cut a season short for Holmes, who set an NFL record in 2003 with 27 touchdowns.

A knee injury his senior year in college forced him to come into the NFL as an undrafted free agent. He underwent hip surgery following the 2002 season and spoke of retirement after his big year in 2003.

But Friday, Holmes said his love for the game had not changed.

"The football has never left me. It never will, and I don't think there's any way that it could," he said. "It's a gift and something that I can't even control. I'd have to say that it's not necessarily something you have to train for ... it's just a God-given talent."

link