[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tanking a game to change playoff seeding

alchico

The #1 team in our league has Tanked his game with me by Removing his monday night player. I probably would never had noticed as i'm in last place but i am playing him this week. As a result i will beat him. The loss will move him to the #2 seed, where he will play one of the other division leaders. This will pit the other division leader against wild card team who is on Fire!!!! He has set the single season scoring record for our league 2 weeks in a row with 171 and 179 points and he has over a 100 again this week. Avg for our league is 80-110 with the previous high ever of 159. Is this wrong or just good strategy???? If it was me that was gonna get stuck with the wild card i think i'd be a little upset.:D

What do you guys think??? :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which player did he pull and who did he replace him with? Or does your league allow not fielding a full, active, roster each week?

609528[/snapback]

He had mason starting yesterday, but just benched him today, with no replacement. Not sure what the rule is but i think you forfiet if you have an illegal lineup which is what he wants anyway.

He had mason starting yesterday, but just benched him today, with no replacement. Not sure what the rule is but i think you forfiet if you have an illegal lineup which is what he wants anyway.

609541[/snapback]

Then I agree with the above opinions, he should be taken to the shed. That sucks!

My local has a similar situation....playoffs start next week.

A guy out of the playoffs tanked against a team that is in it--sitting Trent Green, starting Testaverde. Playing both Greg Jones and Fred Taylor as his RB's, sitting Kevin Jones and Droughns. Starting Curry and R. Moss, but not playing D. Jackson.

Essentially, it's a massive tank job, but it will not affect the seedings whatsoever.....

Not sure what to do.

Nothing necessarily wrong with it, as long as he's not affecting anyone getting into or out of the playoffs, and he's not hurting anyone else's seeding.

Definitely do risk angering the fantasy football gods though.

My leagues have more of a financial payoff for finishing 1st in the regular season, as added incentive to try to win every game.

Edited by LegFuJohnson

I agree.  I might hope for a loss in a situation like that but I would never pull players or even field less than what I thought would be my best lineup.

I'd be too afraid of bad karma.

609561[/snapback]

It may come back to haunt him, especially since i would have beat him anyways. Now it just makes him look bad and could bite him in the a**.

Nothing necessarily wrong with it, as long as he's not affecting anyone getting into or out of the playoffs, and he's not hurting anyone else's seeding.

Definitely do risk angering the fantasy football gods though.

My leagues have more of a financial payoff for finishing 1st in the regular season, as added incentive to try to win every game.

609579[/snapback]

He is affecting another teams seeding!!!

He needs to field a full roster, he can't bench a player without a replacement.

Get the commish to reinstate the dropped player.  If he won't, abandon this league, or have the other guy thrown out.  Cheating - and that is what this is - makes the whole FF deal a waste of time.

609631[/snapback]

Here's your answer.

As a commish, I TOTALLY agree with Ursa.

If he was in my league, I'd automatically switch his lineup. What he did was terrible, I'd be all over his A$$ on the message board, and would have sent him an email un-inviting him back for next year.

Here is an exerpt from our league rules, feel free to plagarize!

You are required to submit the most competitive roster possible every week. Remember, the purpose of the game is to win!

If any team fields an incomplete or illegal roster (failing to lfill all required roster spot, or starting an individual on a bye) the commish has the authority to automatically fill the roster spot with the best available player on their team. ((Best available will be decided by the projected stats found for the players at www.thehuddle.com))The team in question will automatically take a loss for the week. They will be docked 50 pts for the current week, and will loose 50 pts off the following weeks score. ((prevents teams from intentionally tanking to better their seede in the playoffs)). Remember, its a friggin game, do your best and have fun with it!

Dats all I gotta say bout that........

I can go one better. In one of my leagues, the top 4 go to the playoffs. I was in 5th place, but had considerably more points than the guy in 4th. The guy in 4th place had match up hell this week, but was playing a team that was out of contention. We start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF. The guy playing the 4th place team did not start any RBs or a TE, and lost by 11 points, and kept me out of the playoffs. I have posted a scathing message on the message board, but doubt it will do much good.

If your rules allow such behavior, quit biitching about dude and fix your rules by say maybe giving the top two teams that make the playoffs a first round bye.

While I'm too competitive do do such a thing and agree with Skippy and LegFu that it's bad karma, I can see where it makes sense. He's not doing anything but seeking a competitive advantage in the playoffs. He's earned this right because he played so well all season he could afford to lose this game. He's not tanking he's taking a major strategic risk to technically play a better team just to avoid the hot team.

Babies.

tanking games is kind of cheesey. In our league, we used to award draft spots based on the previous season's record, so guys who went into the consolation rounds with the worst records would tank so that they could lock up the rights to pick Marshall Faulk the next season. Now, we only use that system for the 4 playoff teams, who have a reason to play every game. All the teams that miss the playoffs go into a lottery, and have an equal shot at the number 1 and 2 picks the next year.

It's not cheating if it isn't against the rules. Unless your rules prohibit him from fielding an incomplete lineup, then he isn't cheating. Assuming there is no rule to prevent this (like drafter's league) then on what basis does the commissioner have the authority to alter his starting lineup?

Can we not all understand the strategy at play here. He's not trying to screw anybody, rather he's trying to improve his chances at advancing in the playoffs. Like club said ... his play to this point in the season has given him the luxury of taking a loss if he feels like it will improve his playoff position. If a few more of your league mates had defeated him then he wouldn't be in this position.

Clearly he is not cheating. Having said that it is also clearly distasteful. In Hannibals recently (week 13) I was in position to tank my game to improve my draft position for 2005. The game was totally meaningless to me as I was already out of the playoffs ... so strategy would dictate that I tank the game. However, it's just not in me to tank a game for whatever reason. I want to win every single game that I can possibly win. While my game had no playoff implications for me, it certainly had playoff implications for my division rivals, spain and rhino. My victory over spain knocked him out of the playoffs and gave rhino the division win.

I think the way to handle this particular situation is to require that all teams field a complete lineup every week and institute a penalty when they don't. Obviously you wouldn't want to give the guy a loss because that's what he was going for in the first place. Not sure what an appropriate penalty would be.

Now how do you prevent him from benching Peyton Manning to start Vinny Testaverde because he wants to tank the game?