[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tanking a game to change playoff seeding

alchico

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The proper way to handle this in the future is to let the top team pick his opponent. If four teams in the playoffs, then team one picks and the other two play each other. You can make the argument that if team 2 gets picked he got screwed, but I think he was just lucky to be in second place anyways since he was picked as the weakest opponent. Now you have no incentive to tank.

The proper way to handle this in the future is to let the top team pick his opponent.  If four teams in the playoffs, then team one picks and the other two play each other.  You can make the argument that if team 2 gets picked he got screwed, but I think he was just lucky to be in second place anyways since he was picked as the weakest opponent.  Now you have no incentive to tank.

613847[/snapback]

Wow -- I can't believe I read this whole thread, but it was pretty interesting and here at the end I found another way to reduce "tanking." I think you need rules/rewards to discourage it, and don't like to see it done, but in the end agree that if its not a rules violation, the commissioner and other league members have to just accept it and move on. And if the "fantasy gods" are watching, the guy who tanked, just might get beat anyway. Now that would be a hoot. :D

The proper way to handle this in the future is to let the top team pick his opponent.  If four teams in the playoffs, then team one picks and the other two play each other.  You can make the argument that if team 2 gets picked he got screwed, but I think he was just lucky to be in second place anyways since he was picked as the weakest opponent.  Now you have no incentive to tank.

613847[/snapback]

Good idea. Or just let him pick between teams 3 and 4.

The #1 team in our league has Tanked his game with me by Removing his monday night player. I probably would never had noticed as i'm in last place but i am playing him this week. As a result i will beat him. The loss will move him to the #2 seed, where he will play one of the other division leaders. This will pit the other division leader against wild card team who is on Fire!!!!  He has set the single season scoring record for our league 2 weeks in a row with 171 and 179 points and he has over a 100 again this week. Avg for our league is 80-110 with the previous high ever of 159. Is this wrong or just good strategy???? If it was me that was gonna get stuck with the wild card i think i'd be a little upset.B)

What do you guys think??? :D

609527[/snapback]

What goes around comes around....he'll get his.....trust me it always works out that way..... :D

Giving big money for finishing 1st in the regular season sounds like a good idea. For those willing to forego that for a better chance at winning the league title, here are two other options.

1. The higher seed in a playoff bracket wins a tie in the playoffs.

2. #1 seed has their choice of opponents. (Some might consider this instituting cowardice, but think about it for the moment. It encourages teams to stay competitive all year. And it also allows the league owners to zing the #1 seed for choosing one opponent over another. The team avoided gets to talk trash about it, while the team chosen has added incentive to defeat his opponent. It inspires conversation, which usually dries up come playoff time.)

What goes around comes around....he'll get his.....trust me it always works out that way..... :D

614037[/snapback]

Had to go out of town for a few days as my brother had a kidney transplant. I'm amazed at the varied responses this has generated. Personally i think it's wrong and not sure what should or could be done about it.(nothing in our rules covered it-including no penalty for a partial lineup) If i was one of the top teams i would definately raise a stink, but seeing how an email by me to the commissioner went unanswered and no one else seemed to notice, i won't be taking it any further. In fact as many have suggested i will be finding another league with next year. Hopefully one with a little more integrety. As it turned out he would have lost anyways and i'm sure he'll get his in the playoffs. I'll try to come back to it this weekend and let you all know how it turned out