[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The cover of madden 2006 has been released!

Tokes

I'm sure ESPN would have done the same thing if they were in the position to. When they lowered their game to $20 and started a pricing war they should've seen it coming.

It's not like ESPN doesn't almost have a monopoly in the sports media arena. The best part this story is that Madden works for ESPN's parent company ABC.

I wouldve taken this joke to a different direction.  Instead of showing hitler on the cover, I wouldve shown a football player on a stretcher as the cover.  Because whoever is on the cover gets struck with the MADDEN CURSE! lolol :D

611168[/snapback]

Im still waiting on something to happen to Ray. The jinx may be over.

It's a bad long-term economic decision for the NFL and NFL Players Association as well. A big part of the cost of producing these games is rendering the likenesses of professional players and other football personalities. Without the ability to legally render those images, the competition will simply stop doing it.

So when the EA contract is up in 4 years, EA will have a library of rendered football images, which they already have in place because they have been producing "Madden 20XX" games for the last four years, while the competition will have to eat the cost of rendering these player images again, plus whatever their bid is to the NFL.

EA will automatically have a leg-up in future renewals of this contract, and the NFL and Players Association will get progressively less money for the renegotiation fee.

This kind of sucks for football fans who like these games as well, because now the price will go WAY up, and there will be much less competition to force new features into the game.

I'm glad I don't play console games. EA just dropped a few levels in my estimation.

yes Brentastic---up $6+ beanos this week per share---daddy likey--- :D

611303[/snapback]

Wow! I don't follow it nearly as much as I did last year (before and after it split :D ). It's a buy and hold for me, so no need to watch it on a daily basis. I see it closed at about $60 today, again B) . Peace.

yes Brentastic---up $6+ beanos this week per share---daddy likey--- :D

611303[/snapback]

I'm not sure why their stock went up, given that they paid something like $300 million for the exclusive rights. And it's not like ESPN would be able to keep selling their game for $20 over the next couple years (the price is what cut into EA's profits this year).

IMO, it was a bad decision by EA. They've owned the market on NFL video games for a LONG time and weren't about to lose market share to ESPN in the long term. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

I'm not sure why their stock went up, given that they paid something like $300 million for the exclusive rights.  And it's not like ESPN would be able to keep selling their game for $20 over the next couple years (the price is what cut into EA's profits this year).

IMO, it was a bad decision by EA.  They've owned the market on NFL video games for a LONG time and weren't about to lose market share to ESPN in the long term.  :D

611508[/snapback]

Their stock went up because the future value went up. Anytime new, pertinent information is available, the market will react on assumption. Obviously, it doesn't really mean shyt in the long run, but short term traders made a killing I'm sure.

Their stock went up because the future value went up.  Anytime new, pertinent information is available, the market will react on assumption.  Obviously, it doesn't really mean shyt in the long run, but short term traders made a killing I'm sure.

611510[/snapback]

I'd suggest you sell before EA announces that they're going to sell Madden 2006 for $70 to make up for the ridiculous $300 million that they paid the NFLPA. I guarantee that they'll lose revenue becasue people like me will simply wait five or six months for the price to go down.

I'd suggest you sell before EA announces that they're going to sell Madden 2006 for $70 to make up for the ridiculous $300 million that they paid the NFLPA.  I guarantee that they'll lose revenue becasue people like me will simply wait five or six months for the price to go down.

611513[/snapback]

Most people won't wait. A die-hard Madden fan ike myself, is willing to pay. I don't think their prices will go much above the $50+ they sell for now. I could be wrong, but I don't see it. It really is the best NFL game available. What they're doing is smart because it does limit their competition.

Another thing of note: Last year was the first time video game rentals surpassed movie rentals as the primary form of home entertainment. This is one of the reasons I bought EA to begin with. Them cornering the market now is great strategy, not the most popular, but great nonetheless.

Edit: I meant to say sales not rentals.

Edited by Brentastic

Most people won't wait.  A die-hard Madden fan ike myself, is willing to pay.  I don't think their prices will go much above the $50+ they sell for now.  I could be wrong, but I don't see it.  It really is the best NFL game available.  What they're doing is smart because it does limit their competition.

611516[/snapback]

Many people (especially parents) will not pay $65-$70 for Madden and will instead wait six months for the price to drop. Most video games drop in price six months or so after their release. FWIW, Madden 2005 is available now for $20. Had I known that the price would drop that much so quickly, I would've waited until now.

I disagree that paying a $300 million to corner a market that they cornered years ago is a good strategy. ESPN would NOT be able to keep selling their game for $20 in the long term.

Also, a lot of people (myself included) decided to fork over the $55 for Madden the day it was released instead of paying $20 for ESPN's version that was available almost a full month earlier. And I'm also a fan of Sega's (ESPN's) football games (I bought NFL 2K and NFL 2K1 for the Dreamcast and NFL 2K3 for PS2). In the final analysis, though, I like Madden's graphics a little better and don't want to re-learn a new set of game controls.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I wouldve taken this joke to a different direction.  Instead of showing hitler on the cover, I wouldve shown a football player on a stretcher as the cover.  Because whoever is on the cover gets struck with the MADDEN CURSE! lolol :D

611168[/snapback]

So far Ray Lewis hasn't gone down, this could be the year it ends?

so if they raise the price to $70, then drop it to $50 in 3-6 months, chances are they'll do alright--- :D ---brentastic, i put a stop sell in at &58.75 to lock in profits, i suspect may drop back to low $50's then i'll swoop it up again---

613204[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm thinking of buying some more at about 52 if it retraces that much. I might get impatient at 54 :D