[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cleveland Browns: 17 Net Total Yards

major-tom

Not the worst.

3 worst:

Yards Game/Date -7 Seattle vs LA Rams (11/4/79) -5 Denver vs Oakland (9/10/67) 14 Chi Cardinals vs Detroit (9/15/40) 16 Detroit vs Chi Cardinals (9/15/40)

link

611191[/snapback]

A year or two ago the Steelers lost to the Texas after giving up about 49 yards. Maddox threw 2 picks if I remember right.

Doing that and losing is worse imo. -7 for an entire game is bad though.

Not the worst.

3 worst:

Yards Game/Date -7 Seattle vs LA Rams (11/4/79) -5 Denver vs Oakland (9/10/67) 14 Chi Cardinals vs Detroit (9/15/40) 16 Detroit vs Chi Cardinals (9/15/40)

link

611191[/snapback]

Wow - that Cards/Lions game on 9/15/40 must've been some kind of snoozer - 30 yards for the game both teams combined. :D

I did a little more research - that game had only one pass completion. Final score 0-0 (obviously)

Wow - that Cards/Lions game on 9/15/40 must've been some kind of snoozer - 30 yards for the game both teams combined.  :D

I did a little more research - that game had only one pass completion.  Final score 0-0 (obviously)

611233[/snapback]

A defense maven's dream..... :D

Wow - that Cards/Lions game on 9/15/40 must've been some kind of snoozer - 30 yards for the game both teams combined.  :D

I did a little more research - that game had only one pass completion.  Final score 0-0 (obviously)

611233[/snapback]

It's also tied for #2 in a couple other records you'd expect - most punts, game (Cards with 16) and most punts, BOTH teams, game (29).

Another oddity - the Cards played in ALL THREE games that had 29 punts between the 2 teams. This indicates something important, but I'm not sure what. :D

An update!

From Fanball:

The News

The Browns made perhaps their biggest offensive gain in the last week, picking up nine yards Thursday when Elias Sports Bureau made a scoring change. A Luke McCown sack from last Sunday's game against the Bills was switched to an aborted play, which means the nine "loose yards" are not counted against the team's total. The ruling improves the Browns' offensive output from 17 yards (fifth-worst in NFL history) to 26 yards (seventh-worst in NFL history).

Another question about this:

The NFL only started keeping sacks as an official stat some time in the last 20 years, so were yards lost to sacks in that Cardinals vs Detroit game in 1940 actually counted negatively? Or was that actual yards gained, in which case it's even more horrific than it at first appears. :D

The Browns have packed it in for the season. I think they are the only team that really is playing out the string. Even the 49ers and Dolphins are still playing hard and trying to win. Cleveland has quit. You may want to bet against them from here on out this season...