[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNair May Be Done For the Year

spain

Titans’ Volek finally gets in a groove

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

While quarterback Steve McNair has been slow to heal, backup Billy Volek's maturation has been put on fast forward.

And yesterday, for the first time, Coach Jeff Fisher acknowledged the Titans are considering sitting McNair the rest of the season and letting Volek play the final three games.

''I am going to talk to Steve in the next couple of days and we'll make a decision,'' Fisher said. ''Everything will factor into our decision.''

Volek started his fifth game this season on Monday night and had the best game of his NFL career, completing 29 of 43 passes for 426 yards and four touchdowns in a 49-38 loss to the Chiefs.

McNair, meanwhile, continues to be bothered by the sternum injury he suffered in September.

Volek, who signed a long-term deal with the Titans last offseason, has clearly benefited from the experience. He started just one game last season.

''I almost see myself as a second-year player,'' Volek said. ''I am a fifth-year veteran but I haven't had a lot of reps. When you get into a rhythm it is nice to go out there and practice with the guys and get the timing down and be able to go out there and execute it. But it is frustrating we scored 38 points and we didn't walk away with a victory.

''It's confidence-building, but I'd take 5 yards passing and a victory.''

With a banged-up offensive line, and with Volek getting valuable playing time, at this point in the season it wouldn't seem to make too much sense to put McNair back in the lineup and risk the chance of him heading into another offseason recovering from an injury.

Plus, Volek has actually outplayed last year's NFL co-MVP.

In seven games Volek is 154-of-249 for 1,708 yards, along with 13 touchdowns and seven interceptions. His completion percentage is 61.8. He's been especially effective working with receiver Drew Bennett, who has 15 catches, 357 receiving yards and six touchdowns in the last two games, including a 12-catch, 233-yard, three-TD performance against the Chiefs.

''Billy has done nothing but improve,'' Fisher said. ''He did some really good things (Monday), the numbers he put up, the poise, his pocket awareness, with two exceptions on the sacks. He was concerned about grounding, losing the down or losing the yardage, so he held it a little long. … Obviously him and Drew are very comfortable and he has confidence there.''

Volek has shown the ability to throw the deep ball effectively, he's been accurate, and he's cut down on his mistakes in recent weeks.

But he hasn't shown the ability to escape the rush, an area in which McNair excels. Volek has been sacked 12 times in the last two games and 22 times this season.

Also, the Titans are 1-4 in Volek's five starts, though he can't be blamed for the shoddy defense.

Assuming Volek plays, his ability to maneuver in the pocket could be tested more than ever this Sunday against the Raiders. Center Justin Hartwig left Monday's game with a severe laceration on his right ring finger and needed surgery to repair it. His availability for Sunday's game is in doubt.

Also, right tackle Fred Miller continues to be bothered by an ankle injury and Brad Hopkins hasn't played since Nov. 14 because of a right hand injury. They'll both be listed as questionable for Oakland.

''We have a lot of injuries. That's a fact, but we have to move on,'' Volek said. ''We have a long plane flight out to Oakland. They're not having a great year, neither are we with our record.

''We're beat up, but we just have to rebound and do whatever we can to get a victory with the guys we have on the field.''

I really hope the Titans go this route for selfish fantasy football reasons.  I have no desire at all to start A. Brooks against the Bucs this weekend and my other options are McNair / Volek.  I'd sure like to be able to start Volek with confidence that he will be the starter.

611659[/snapback]

Amen to that.

I picked up Volek last week but didn't start him. If McNair is done, Billy gets the start over Brady and Carr.

Guest aqualung
I said this before, but I think we've seen the last of Air McNair on a football field.  There's only so much a body can take.

611734[/snapback]

Agreed, I think he's done.