[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any news on Mason?

Swashbucklers

Mason, who sprained his ankle during Monday night's loss to the Chiefs, had a very difficult time moving around in the locker room after the game, the Nashville Tennessean reports.

An MRI revealed nothing more than a sprain, but Mason is still likely to miss some or all of practice this week. We'll keep you posted on his status for this Sunday's game against the Raiders.

So good news nothing more than a sprain. But unless he practices this week at least once I will sit him in favor of Moulds. To me at playoff time just WAY too risky to start a player who is questionable and doesn't practice all week. Could play 5 plays and then go out for the game.

If he sits, I will not be pleased. I have that bastid in both of my leagues and he's a big reason why I am where I am. Not cool.

That said, I think he'll play.

If he sits, I will not be pleased.  I have that bastid in both of my leagues and he's a big reason why I am where I am.  Not cool. 

That said, I think he'll play.

612218[/snapback]

See I actually agree 100% he'll play, but to me that's not the main question. It's will he be able to play the whole game, and how effective will he be when he plays? Those are the questions. He killed ALL of us on Monday night, and once he came back in CLEARLY wasn't the same. The TD catch was huge, but imagine if he didn't get hurt. He wouldn't have left the game for long stretches and he would have had huge #'s.

On another note why is your star # 1 WR even returning punts still? He is averaging 4 yards per return. get Mason out of there.

It's obvious who Volek is more comfortable with...Mason will be on my bench this week in favor of Clayton.

612222[/snapback]

To be honest with you I could not disagree more. In the games Volek has played Mason has averaged like 8 catches. Even the week before yes Bennett caught 3 TD's, but those were his only catches. Mason had 6 or 7 catches and MANY more balls thrown to him than Bennett who only had those 3 thrown his way all game. Then Monday Volek had no choice but to throw to Bennett. Mason was out some and wasn't near 100%. So I disagree. With that said I'd start Clayton over Mason this week also with the ankle a question.

Edited by giantsfan

So I have to decide between him, Hines Ward, or Lee Evans in the second round of the playoffs!!!  Which one would you play alongside Clayton?

612236[/snapback]

Not to make this a WDIS post which is illegal over here, my advise on Mason is simple. If he practices at all this week play him, if not I'd play Evans. In my case I'm starting Clayton and Horn for sure. If Mason practices, and I REALLY hope he does, I start him, if not I start Moulds.

So I have to decide between him, Hines Ward, or Lee Evans in the second round of the playoffs!!!  Which one would you play alongside Clayton?

612236[/snapback]

:D Post this in the advice forum!

Do not hijack other threads with WDIS questions. :D

I do not agree that Volek likes Bennett more than Mason. In the games that Volek had played leading up to Monday night, Mason had still been his #1 target. After the injury, Volek was forced to look elsewhere. With the emergence of Bennett, it can only help Mason as he will not be the main target for the oppposing secondary. That being said, when will we find out if he is practicing and what the results of the MRI were?

To be honest with you I could not disagree more. In the games Volek has played Mason has averaged like 8 catches. Even the week before yes Bennett caught 3 TD's, but those were his only catches. Mason had 6 or 7 catches and MANY more balls thrown to him than Bennett who only had those 3 thrown his way all game. Then Monday Volek had no choice but to throw to Bennett. Mason was out some and wasn't near 100%. So I disagree. With that said I'd start Clayton over Mason this week also with the ankle a question.

612234[/snapback]

Last week was last week and the injury to Mason was a factor.

The week before was more of an indication of who Volek is more comfortable with. Who did the money balls get thrown to, and how many of them were pitch and catch?

Volek's choice for the deep ball is Bennett based on the trends.

Targets for Week 13: Mason 9, Bennett 6...compared to 12 and 7 the week previous when McNair was in there.

Not saying Bennett is getting more looks than Mason, but saying that Mason is getting less looks when Volek is in there.

Go back to week 10 when Volek was in there. Bennet got 11 looks to Mason's 9.

So, I guess we disagree with each other.

See I actually agree 100% he'll play, but to me that's not the main question. It's will he be able to play the whole game, and how effective will he be when he plays? Those are the questions. He killed ALL of us on Monday night, and once he came back in CLEARLY wasn't the same. The TD catch was huge, but imagine if he didn't get hurt. He wouldn't have left the game for long stretches and he would have had huge #'s.

On another note why is your star # 1 WR even returning punts still? He is averaging 4 yards per return. get Mason out of there.

612226[/snapback]

Definitely - a Mason at 50% (like the one we saw this week) is not really worth starting, IMO. Luckily I have Moulds on my bench in one league, but in the other (roster below) I'm hosed b/c both Mason and McCardell could potentially be out (I LOVE scouring the waiver wire for WRs). Anyway, if Mason practices w/o any real problems towards the end of the week I'll play him. Otherwise, I may as well suit up myself and play - that's about the quality of WR left out there in this league.

Last week was last week and the injury to Mason was a factor.

The week before was more of an indication of who Volek is more comfortable with. Who did the money balls get thrown to, and how many of them were pitch and catch?

Volek's choice for the deep ball is Bennett based on the trends.

Targets for Week 13: Mason 9, Bennett 6...compared to 12 and 7 the week previous when McNair was in there.

Not saying Bennett is getting more looks than Mason, but saying that Mason is getting less looks when Volek is in there.

Go back to week 10 when Volek was in there. Bennet got 11 looks to Mason's 9.

So, I guess we disagree with each other.

612262[/snapback]

Okay Bennett had 3 catches all for TD's ALL in the first quarter and had ZERO balls thrown to him the rest of the game. Not zero catches ZERO thrown to him. Meanwhile Mason had 6 or 7 catches in the game and had 10 or 11 throws to in the game. So #'s are on my side. Now if your point is who is the better deep threat then yes that's Bennett. But Mason gets the throws and in the RZ Volek looks for Mason more as well. Bennett's TD's were all bombs.

I think the bottom line is that the O is much more open with Volek in there (i.e. while I don't have the stats, I'm sure you would find that he throws the ball much more frequently than McNair). Bennett comes to the forefront (seemingly) for one reason - Volek throws a great deep ball . . . a skill that McNair has never really excelled at. Mason is still the #1 target and gets the most looks, but the big gainers tend to go to Bennett. With Volek in, they both win. All that said, I'm anxious to see if Bennett starts to draw any double coverage, leaving Mason with more 1 on 1 opps.

I think the bottom line is that the O is much more open with Volek in there (i.e. while I don't have the stats, I'm sure you would find that he throws the ball much more frequently than McNair).  Bennett comes to the forefront (seemingly) for one reason - Volek throws a great deep ball . . . a skill that McNair has never really excelled at.  Mason is still the #1 target and gets the most looks, but the big gainers tend to go to Bennett.  With Volek in, they both win.  All that said, I'm anxious to see if Bennett starts to draw any double coverage, leaving Mason with more 1 on 1 opps.

612289[/snapback]

I think you hit everything right on the head. Bottom line is both are VERY good plays this week IF mason is healthy enough. Again I just couldn't start a guy in a playoff game who doesn't practice at all, so that will make my decision for me.

Okay Bennett had 3 catches all for TD's ALL in the first quarter and had ZERO balls thrown to him the rest of the game. Not zero catches ZERO thrown to him. Meanwhile Mason had 6 or 7 catches in the game and had 10 or 11 throws to in the game. So #'s are on my side. Now if your point is who is the better deep threat then yes that's Bennett. But Mason gets the throws and in the RZ Volek looks for Mason more as well. Bennett's TD's were all bombs.

612273[/snapback]

Hey...that's cool. You think you're right, and I think I'm right.

IMO, it is evident who Volek is more comfortable with.

But get your facts straight. Against the Colts, Bennett was thrown to him in the second half of the game. Where are you coming up with your information?

1-10-TEN23 (11:49) B.Volek pass to D.Mason to TEN 24 for 1 yard (J.David).

2-9-TEN24 (11:14) B.Volek pass incomplete to D.Bennett.

3-9-TEN24 (11:10) (Shotgun) C.Brown up the middle to TEN 37 for 13 yards (I.Bashir).

1-10-TEN37 (10:23) C.Brown up the middle to TEN 40 for 3 yards (J.Nelson, J.Williams).

2-7-TEN40 (9:48) B.Volek pass to E. Kinney to 50 for 10 yards (D.Thornton).

1-10-50 (9:10) C.Brown right end to IND 48 for 2 yards (C.June).

2-8-IND48 (8:33) B.Volek pass to E.Berlin to IND 43 for 5 yards (N.Harper).

3-3-IND43 (7:51) B.Volek pass to R.Holcombe pushed ob at IND 37 for 6 yards (C.June).

1-10-IND37 (7:25) B.Volek pass incomplete to D.Bennett.

and

1-10-TEN34 (4:30) A.Smith up the middle to TEN 35 for 1 yard (N.Harper, D.Thornton).

2-9-TEN35 (3:47) B.Volek pass incomplete to T.Fleming.

3-9-TEN35 (3:43) (Shotgun) B.Volek pass incomplete to D.Bennett.

4-9-TEN35 (3:37) (Shotgun) C.Hentrich pass incomplete to K.Amato (G.Gardner).

and

Mason had 3 catches for 18 yards in garbage time in that game. Big whoop.

You are right it was 9 6, but again still in Mason's favor and zero thrown to Bennett in the RZ. But if you go through the year when Volek has started Mason has seen many more passes his way than Bennett.

612294[/snapback]

That's just terrible logic, giantsfan.

Of course he saw more through the course of the season, if you want to go back into week 4 when Volek was a starter, but Tyrone Calico was playing. If you want to look at recent trends, that's where I'm coming from.

I believe I'm beating a dead horse here.