[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff Tie

michaeljordan ca

We have an "Overtime" player designated by each team. This is a player already on the starting lineup whose score is doubled ONLY IF the game would otherwise end in a tie. If it's tied after overtime, higher seed advances. You could do the same thing with a bench player.

If no system is currently in place, default is higher seed advances.

In our league we hate the idea of using players not started in the actual game to break the tie ... so we came up with something different

We compare the highest scoring player at each position (excluding the kicker) from each team ... giving the owner that has the highest scoring player at that position another point.

If they are still tied after that we award the win to the team with the LOWEST scoring kicker.

If they are still tied after that we award the win to the team whose players scored the most actual TDs.

If they are still tied after that we award the win to the team with the highest MFL efficiency rating for that week.

If they are still tied after that (yeah right) the team with the highest bench points wins.

Home field advantage sucks ... I will NEVER play in a league that aribitrairly assigns points to a team for no other reason than that team managed to win more regular season games than another.

Or ever worse ... in my league I went 8-5 and got the 5th seed ... the 4th seed was 7-6 but got the 4th seed because he won his division. So because he was in a softer division you'd give him more points, homefield advantage. :D

In the league that I commish, each team is supposed to make NFL picks for the week. The team with the most correct NFL picks has the tie breaker. We have had a handful of ties over the years, and this rewards owners who are active.

How are ties normally broken in the playoffs? Almost happened in my local when Lawrence Tynes was the only player playing monday night and single-handedly made up 7 points to clinch.  :D

612280[/snapback]

Playoff Tie-breakers for our league in order:

1. Regular season H2H record.

2. Total Cumulative Points

3. Coin Flip

Edited by J.D.Morrison

Don't like those either ... because they have nothing to do with the actual game that was played in the playoffs.

612733[/snapback]

I see your point.....as this has not happened for us in 13 years believe it or not...

What do you suggest?

I see your point.....as this has not happened for us in 13 years believe it or not...

What do you suggest?

612745[/snapback]

I like ours ... they are posted above ... and BTW we have only had ONE playoff tie in 13 years ... and I lost it on tie-breakers :D

Now that we have decimal scoring ties are very unlikely.

Edited by Grits and Shins

How about decimal scoring.

We take our score's out 2 decimal points.

Ties are still possible but very much less likely.

Even then you could probably break any ties by just extending the number of decimals in the event of a tie.

612743[/snapback]

I lost by one - one-hundred-thousanth of a point !!!! :doah:

:D

I lost by one - one-hundred-thousanth of a point !!!! :doah:

:D

612749[/snapback]

At least you would know that you really lost, based on your starting lineup, not your bench or a coin flip or the color of someone's underwear the day after a game or whatever other method one might use that includes something other than the players you started.

In my local I commish we have the following in place just in case, but with decimal scoring we have never used it.

Tiebreakers for playoff games are as follows:

1) Number of TD's scored by starters.

2) Number of combined rush/receive yards by starters.

3) Number of Passing yards by starters.

4) Bench points

5) Beloved Coin Flip!