[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Fantasy Advice - Week 15

Hugh 0ne

Another WDIS at QB and WR--

T. Green vs. Denver or J. Kitna vs. Buffalo (assuming he starts)--

Normally would go with red hot Trent Green, but the Cincy offense has been smoking lately.

1 pt. per 25 pass yds, 4 pts. per pass TD, 0 pts per INT

J. Morton vs. Den, J. Galloway vs. NO, or Roy Williams vs. MIN

1 pt. per 10 yards Rec. 6 pts per TD

Thanks for your help!!!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to start 2 of the following 5.  I have 1 RB spot open and a flex.  I have the Denver and Titans RB combos.  This a performance scoring with 1pt per reception.

Bonus at 100yds and for long TDs

Bell, Droughns, Brown, A.Smith and Driver.

612916[/snapback]

If I had to make that choice right now, I'd start Chris Brown and Rueben Droughns. Based on what happens between now and gametime could change that decision.

Im in a tough spot, I could use advise this week. (I guess i could always use it, just willing to admit it today.)

QB: Vick v CAR, Lefty V GB, Carr (leaning towards Lefty)

Im pretty stuck w/ my RB: Jlew and whoever starts for STL

And at WR: (can start 3) AJohnson, JHorn, JWitten, KColbert

Standard scoring, 1 for 10 ryd w/ 6 for TD and 1 for 20 pyd w/ 3 for TD

You disagree w/ anything?

Thanks.

Hey Hugh. Been a heck of a week in the Fantasy Advice Section, huh? glad you haven't left also.

I actually have two different leagues that I need help in this week. They are both standard scoring (1 point per 25 Pass, 1 point per 10 yards Rush/Rec, 6 points per TD)

The first one is a QB dilemma. Griese (playing NO) vs. Hasselbeck (playing NYJ). I originally thought Hasselbeck, even though he is going against a tough Jets D. He has been on a roll lately and my opponent has Darrell Jackson. The later is just a bonus. On the other hand, Griese has a benficial matchup against a porous D. What do you think?

The other league has me confused on whether to play Dunn (against CAR) or Taylor (against GB) to go along with Ahman Green and Willis McGahee. I want to play Dunn, especially because of Duckett's absence and at home in Atlanta. However, Taylor is supposed to be getting more carries and has the potential to do well against Green Bay yardage wise. The only thing that scares me about Taylor is that he plays worse away and the weather in Green Bay could be a factor. Which do you like better? If you don't like either, I guess I can start Bennett instead, but I don't trust him.

And like always, thanks a bunch for your advise; it is always appreciated.

Edited by Lost

Playoffs baby! Hugh One, you helped me get here, now I'd appreciate it if you could help me close it out (but of course I won't hold any recommendations against you, obviously).

I'm planning to start Griese over Brady -- I'm pretty sure you'll agree, but please let me know. Also, I'm gonna start Owens, Moss, and Houshmandzadeh. I hope that's a good idea. Housh has been hot.

My main question is my RBs. I'm planning to start Onterrio and Chris Brown, but I hate only getting 1/2 game from Brown. But Tiki hasn't done anything lately and is playing PIT this week, so I think I gotta stick with Onterrio and Brown. Which two would you go with? (Their matchups are: Onterrio @ DET, Brown @ OAK, Tiki v. PIT.) Thanks!!

Hi Hugh.

I've got some issues at WR. Right now I have Mason, J. Morton and Roy Williams on my roster. I've been starting Mason and Morton. Mason is injured, Morton has been hit and miss and Williams hasn't done anything in weeks. T. Houshmandzadeh (vs Bills) and Galloway (vs Saints) are available on the WW. I'm thinking of picking up Houshmandzadeh and starting him in place of Mason (I don't think I can take a chance playing him with this being the play-offs). I'm thinking of picking up Galloway and starting him in place of Morton (vs Broncos). Whatta think? I really don't want to drop any RB's to pick these guys up. What two WR's should I drop? I would drop Morton for sure. Does Williams have any value the next two weeks? So I guess the question is, who do you like out of Houshmandzadeh, Mason, Galloway and Morton the next two weeks?

Thanks Hugh.

Edited by Sam

You know the drill...

McGahee @ Cincy

J Jones @ Philly

Westbrook vs. Dallas

L Johnson vs. Den

K Jones vs. Minnie.

I am ranking them right now as:

L Johnson

K Jones

McGahee

J Jones

B westbrook

But it seems like a heck of a log jam.  I love what I have been seeing from LJ, and he gets the start this week.. Frankly, while others seems to get discouraged that it is against Denver, I don't think it matters.  The KC line is just so good, and he's showing great speed and vision.  K Jones plays the rest of the way.  No more doubting.  The Westbrook/Jones match-up is tough...I am not excited about either's chances, but McGahee should knife through thatt Bengals front pretty well.

What think you?

612977[/snapback]

What's up Nick?

I find it interesting that you have the one guy, probably the most unproven of the bunch and the only one in a RBBC as your number one option, I respectfully disagree.

Kevin Jones plays the Vikes. He's healthy. Have you seen the Vikes play defense? I have. It ain't pretty. KJ is a better option than Johnson.

McGahee has been one of the better and more consistent backs since filling in for Henry. He plays a horrible rush defense, why on earth would you bench this guy? McGahee is a better option than Johnson.

J. Jones, since being healthy, has been the most active RB in the league. Moderate matchup, problem here could be a loss of carries if the game gets out of hand, but even then watch for Parcells to continue to run Jones. I think Jones is a better option than Johnson, but not as good as McGahee or KJ.

Westbrook is a tough call. Also a good option. Had a very nice day in their first meeting. Problem here could be Levens getting carries to spell Westbrook in a meaningless game. I think Westbrook is a decent option, but might be inclined to start Johnson over him by a hair.

So, there you have it. :D

In case you need rankings:

McGahee

K. Jones

J. Jones

L. Johnson

B. Westbrook

One more thing: Everytime I tell someone to bench Westbrook, he goes off. It's unlikely with the Eagles situation, but take it for what it's worth. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Need to start 2 of these 4:

I am going against Ahman and Deuce- I need to get this one right.

Dom at Chicago

Jamal at Indy

Chester at Indy

O. Smith at Detroit

10 rush/rec yards=1 point

TD=6 points

125 rush/rec yards=3 bonus points

Thanks for the advice!...

612990[/snapback]

If I had to chose today, I'd go with Jamal Lewis and Domanick Davis. If the Lewis health becomes an issue and this starts to look like a RBBC, bench Lewis and Taylor and start Smith. If for some reason Lewis doesn't play at all, start Taylor and Davis.

Make sense?

I need to start 3 of the following players:

WR - J. Smith @ G.B.

WR - R. Smith @ K.C.

WR - B. Stokley vs. Bal.

WR - A. Johnson @ Chi.

RB - R. Johnson vs. Buf.

RB - C. Brown @ Oak.

relevant League scoring:

1 pt per 10 total yards for RB & WRs

3 point bonus for over 150 total yards (RBs only)

1pt per reception (WRs only)

Thanks Hugh!

Edited by Midget Chain Gang

OK HUGH, Tony Gonzalez against Denver, they triple teams him last time or Donte Stallworth against Tampa???

613009[/snapback]

Tampa has been playing well, and Stallworth sucks. I'm generally not a fan of starting TE's over WR's, but in this case it's a no brainer.

What's up Nick?

I find it interesting that you have the one guy, probably the most unproven of the bunch and the only one in a RBBC as your number one option, I respectfully disagree.

Kevin Jones plays the Vikes. He's healthy. Have you seen the Vikes play defense? I have. It ain't pretty. KJ is a better option than Johnson.

McGahee has been one of the better and more consistent backs since filling in for Henry. He plays a horrible rush defense, why on earth would you bench this guy? McGahee is a better option than Johnson.

J. Jones, since being healthy, has been the most active RB in the league. Moderate matchup, problem here could be a loss of carries if the game gets out of hand, but even then watch for Parcells to continue to run Jones. I think Jones is a better option than Johnson, but not as good as McGahee or KJ.

Westbrook is a tough call. Also a good option. Had a very nice day in their first meeting. Problem here could be Levens getting carries to spell Westbrook in a meaningless game. I think Westbrook is a decent option, but might be inclined to start Johnson over him by a hair.

So, there you have it. :D

In case you need rankings:

McGahee

K. Jones

J. Jones

L. Johnson

B. Westbrook

One more thing: Everytime I tell someone to bench Westbrook, he goes off. It's unlikely with the Eagles situation, but take it for what it's worth. :D

613093[/snapback]

:D I am going on the report that Blaylock has an MCL sprain, and that he will be second string that game. I would be surprised to see him get any carries if his knee is banged up unless Johnson got hurt. That is why I ranked him first.

I should have made clear that I am looking at starting 2 RBs plus a flex. LJ, MgGahee, and K Jones are the most likly 3. I actually like J Jones this week, probably better than most. Looking at whT LJ has done the last 2 weeks from second string, though, is hard for me to ignore.

But...as usual you have given me food for thought B)

And I'll be looking for your "It's tougher when it's your team" post. :D

Fairly standard 12 team performance league.  WRs get 1 point per reception in addition to their yardage and TDs.  This is the big week, round 2 of the playoffs.  If I win this week it's likely I will win the SB ... if the other guy wins it's likely he will win the SB.  His team has outscored mine 9 of 14 weeks this year so I really need to try and maximize my output.

I have to choose 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR from the following (I could go 1 RB, 4 WR ... but would you really?).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quarterback: Brian Griese comes off his best game of the year, throwing for 392 yards and three scores against the Chargers. He's scored in every game that he's started and two of the last three games have been over 340 passing yards. Griese threw for 194 yards and one score in the last meeting against the Saints. This was the game when Griese stepped in for the injured Chris Simms and together they had 262 passing yards.

Quarterback: Brett Favre was red hot for most of the year but the last two games he's only managed one touchdown and not exceeded 188 passing yards. While the game in Philadelphia was not a shock to give him problems, the home tilt against the Lions only continued his struggles against a much lesser team. This is Favre's final home game this season and it comes against an opponent tougher than Detroit.

Running Backs: Willis McGahee is proving to be a very shrewd draft pick last year. He comes off a 105 yard, two touchdown game against the Browns and has six 100 yard efforts in the last nine games with nine scores on the season. McGahee is a lock to get at least 24 carries this week and could top 30 totes in an effort to keep the Bengals from catching up. McGahee has two 30+ carry games already this season.

Running Backs: Julius Jones fell off from his torrid pace of the previous two weeks, but he still turned in 88 yards on 23 carries with one touchdown last week against the Saints. Along with the rest of the offense, it was a disappointment. In the previous game against the Eagles this season, Anderson and George combined for only 67 rushing yards on 17 carries and George scored on touchdown.

Running Backs: Onterrio Smith continues to be the primary back and had 14 runs for 56 yards and one score last week with 41 yards coming on four receptions. Michael Bennett was given five carries and ran for 25 yards. Smith will continue as the primary back and needs to improve since the Vikings did not run very well in the last meeting against the Lions. Michael Bennett only had 30 yards while Smith had 27 yards and Moe Williams scored once while only gaining 15 yards in the game.

Running Backs: Edgerrin James doesn't score much anymore - he only has three touchdowns in the last eight games and two of those were in the same game. But he's still a great yardage guy. He's never failed to get at least 100 total yards in any game this season and has four straight games of 100 yards going now.

Wide Receivers: Joey Galloway and  Michael Clayton have teamed up for a nice duo lately. Galloway has scores in both his last games and at least 63 yards in each. Clayton comes off the best game of his young career when he logged nine catches for 145 yards and one score against the Chargers. He only has four touchdowns on the season but has been rock solid staying over 60 receiving yards in almost every week. Joe Jurevicius has disappeared lately, only catching two passes for 33 yards last week and none the week before that.  Back in the previous meeting with New Orleans, the Bucs were still using Charles Lee who had 76 yards on four catches while Michael Clayton totaled 61 yards on four receptions with neither wideout scoring

Wide Receivers: Jimmy Smith comes off an 85 yard, six catch game against the Bears with one touchdown but that's been his best game in the last month and his only score. Even against the Vikings, Smith only managed 68 yards on four catches. Leftwich is spreading the ball around well enough to water down what individual receivers can do.  Last week added yet another receiver to the equation. The rookie Reggie Williams had four catches and his first NFL touchdown. Troy Edwards had a nice game against the Steelers in week 13 but went back to only 30 yards last week.

Wide Receivers: The lone positive from last week was that  Anquan Boldin had nine catches for 109 yards though he still has yet to score a touchdown this season. Larry Fitzgerald only had 47 yards on four catches and the addition of Boldin to the roster didn't serve to free him up. Evidently it just sucked away his production since Fitzgerald has not done anything since week 11.

Wide Receivers: T.J. Houshmandzadeh has been one of the hottest wideouts in the NFL over the last three weeks and in two games against NE and BAL had 22 catches for 316 yards and one touchdown. Chad Johnson has scored in each of the last four games while never falling below 80 yards in any of those matchups. Palmer has established nice chemistry with this duo and even Kelley Washington has been a contributor. He only has a high of 47 yards in the last three games but has scored in each one. The passing attack with Palmer has been top notch lately and the wideouts are the main beneficiaries.

Wide Receivers: Drew Bennett comes off a game for the ages when he had 12 catches for 233 yards and three scores and was literally exhausted by the fourth quarter (not to mention very heavily covered). That gives Bennett six scores and 357 yards in the last two games. He only had two touchdowns in the previous twelve weeks but there is no chance we will remember that next summer.  Derrick Mason scored once last week and has touchdowns in four of the last five games. He turned his ankle but remained in the game though was very limited. Barring later practice information, the assumption is that he plays this week with some residual effects from the ankle sprain.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huddle projections in  blue below:

BFavre vs JAC ~ 220 yards, 2 TDs

BGriese vs NO  ~ 250 yards, 2 TDs

Favre has not got the job done the last 2 weeks but I have managed to win anyway.  I can't see how I will NOT play Griese this week.  Do you concur?  Although I am a little concerned that TBB will run the ball and Griese's numbers will be down AND Favre often finds ways to play well against the good defenses.

EJames vs BAL  ~ 130 combined yards, no TDs

WMcGahee @ CIN  ~ 140 combined yards, 2 TDs

JJones @ PHI  ~ 100 combined yards, 1 TDs

OSmith @ DET  ~ 120 combined yards, no TDs

WMcGahee is the no brainer IMO ... I can't possibly take him out of the lineup, right?  After that it's tough.  I'm tempted by OSmith ... but I just don't know if I can trust the up and down Minnesota offense and I don't know if I can trust Tice to run O.  I am afraid that Philly gets up early on Dallas and Richie is on the field more than Julius because Dallas is out of the running game.  And Edge gets Baltimore, plus he doesn't score TDs.  I am really wrestling with this choice.  First I was going with O ... then I decided he doesn't get enough touches and I don't like the Minnesota backfield.  Then it was James because maybe Baltimore will be more worried about stopping the pass and James will benefit.  Then  it was Jones because it's likely he will get 25 to 30 touches.  I am at a loss here.

MClayton vs NO  ~ 100 yards, 1 TD

JSmith @ GB  ~ 100 yards, 1 TD

ABoldin vs STL  ~ 100 yards, 1 TD

TJ Houshmandezadeh vs BUF  ~ 90 yards, 1 TD

DMason @ OAK  ~ 60 yards, no TDs

Okay I'm thinking I'll bench Mason because of his gimpy ankle.  I can't really bench Clayton, he's on fire right now.

I like Jimmy Smith against GB ... but Lefty is spreading the ball around AND what if the weather is a factor?  How will Lefty fair in the cold?

Boldin seems to be coming on and caught 9 balls last week.

The last 3 weeks TJ has been the best in the league.

So if I start Clayton I have to pick 2 more from JSmith, Boldin and TJ.

I'm thinking I'll bench TJ and Mason ... do you concur?

613024[/snapback]

Wow, that's a lot to digest.

I concur on the QB for sure. A hot Griese against a horrible defense is better than a cold Favre on the frozen tundra against a decent pass defense.

The RB is a tough call. You're tight about McGahee. No-brainer. I like Onterrio, and I think the Vikes bounce back, and I don't like Edge, because he doesn't score, Manning will be throwing, and Baltimore has a solid rush defense that has only allowed 7 rushing TD's. I also happen to like Julius Jones, since getting healthy one of the most active backs in the league. Even if they go down, which is a distinct possibility, I don't think Parcells will completely abandon the run. Tough call. I'm a Vikes fan, go with Smith.

No brainer for me at WR. I see the allure with TJ, but I don't start him over Boldin (getting better each week and a great matchup), Jimmy Smith (9th in the league in receiving yards), or Clayton (solid, consistent, and playing the Saints). The problem with Clayton and Smith is that they only have 4 TD's, so that's a bit of a downside, but I think they are better optons than TJ.

Good luck. :D

One more copy/pasted from an earlier WDIS post:

.1 per yd, TDs get an additional 2 pts per 20 yds. Example, 40 yd TD = 10 pts

Start 3 WRs. My WRs are:

Boldin v STL

Chambers v NE

Horn @ TB

A. Johnson @ CHI

D. Givens @ MIA

Currently, I have Boldin, Chambers and Horn going, but I'm thinking of benching Horn for the following reasons based on trend analysis and common opponent analysis.

PROS

1. During the past 3 seasons, Horn has always had 1 great game v Tampa (they play them twice a year), he only had 40 yds and a TD the first game this year

2. Both teams are essentially (not mathematically) out of the playoffs, so it could get sloppy and high scoring.

CONS

1. Only one quarterback has exceeded 147 passing yards in Tampa Bay this season. (huddle info)

2. During the past three seasons, Horn has never had 4 consecutive games with a TD. He currently has 3 consecutive, TB would be the 4th.

Gimme whatcha got!

Ok, one more time but not the usual question. I am starting Mcnabb over Favre without question. Of the remaining slot for RB I have either Dunn or S. Jackson. For defense I have ARZ vs STL or Houston vs. Chicago. I think I will start Dunn and the Texans D. Do you have any other thoughts?

HUGH DOG,

It’s playoff time and I could use your two cents.

RB (for flex … pick one)

J. Jones (away @ Eagles)

N. Goings (away @ Falcons)

WRs (start two):

Holt (away @ Cardinals)

Stokley (home vs. Ravens)

Housh (home vs. Bills)

Burleson (away vs. Lions)

DEF (pick one)

Philly

Chargers

SCORING

A Yahoo league with points for TDs and yardage.

MY THOUGHTS

Holt and Housh at WR and Chargers DEF against the Browns. I scored huge in another league last week with the Bills vs. Browns. Do I go to the well twice?

Thanks for all the help!!!

Hugh,

A few tough choices this week.

Your favorite question: Plummer @ KC or Breese @ Clev.

I have RMoss and Clayton starting at WR, need one more:

RWilliams vs Minn. - Lions passing attack horrible, but so is Minn pass D

Plax @ Giants - If he is healthy enough to go, will Ben throw it?

Burelson @ Det. - 2 WR, same team tough one.

Crumpler vs Carolina - cooled off some and is a TE.

Also, Bears (vs Hou.) or Redskins (@ SF) D this week.

Thanks as always.

hey hugh...need help sorting out my RBs if ya don't mind.

i need 3....scoring in sig.

mcgahee @CIN

pittman vs NO

james vs BAL

a. green vs JAX

c. taylor @IND

t. bell @KC

they're pretty much ranked in order of how i like em....pittman and mcgahee seem pretty obvious....but what do you think about my third? with all the attention this week on manning, do you think james can sneak in there and have a solid game against a great defense? your thoughts on these guys? 'preciate it...

Edited to add a flex question as well, if you don't mind....thanks

Gonzo vs DEN

or

E. Parker @CLE

thanks in advance :D

Edited by gordon_gekko

Hey Hugh

pick 2

Clayton Vs NO

Jimmy Smith @ GB

POrter vs Tits

im leaning clayton and smith but am thinking porter is a nice play if the weather is atrocious in GB which right now it is redicted to be.

my tougher decision is which D to play. Falcons D vs Panthers, Bills @ cincy or zona vs st louis. I could also pick up the rams D still. the bills have been the strongest D the last month but have the toughest matchup on the road. falcons d will do ok i think but nothing special. zona d could be the call but can I really trust zona to step up for me when it counts? I have serious doubts. thoughts?

hey Hugh...

thanks for the help the past few weeks...really helped

its crunch time now...

Pittman vs NO

L.Johnson vs Den

J.Lewis vs Ind

J.Jones vs Phi

N.Goings vs Atl

S.Jackson vs Ari

need 3 of them...

im thinking Johnson and Pittman...Johnson was just named starter...he's hot...

im torn between the others...

Help !

Thanks in advance

You rock

Edited by Dman33

Dude!!! Truly didn't expect to thrown' you a line this week. Who'd a thought that Holt and CJ would have great games and that Brown would have a great 28 minutes. Didn't hurt that J Jones had some difficulty with the 'Aint's. Anyway, back at it again this week. RB are the flavor of the day, picked up L Johnson as FA so I actually have more choice this week. Fairly standard performance scoring with extra points for length of TD.

Current RB roster is:

C Brown v Oak

M Pittman v NO

T Jones v Hou

L Johnson v Den

L Suggs (oh never mind even though it is almost Christmas)

I am currently considering the combo of Pittman and Johnson, but Pittman is starting to struggle a bit (like last year after 7 ot 8 games as a starter) and even though it is the 'Aint's. Jones could have good game in the snow of the windy city and it is alway tough the rule out Brown even if he only plays a half. I'm pretty well sold on LJ, KC offensive line is too good, they ate up Denver in game one on the road, I think the home cookin' and Johnson first start are recipe for success. As always your thought's are revered and appreciated?

Off to Colorado with the family for the holidays next week (actually get to see some white stuff) so probably won't be seeking the insight of "The Soothsayer" regardless of this weeks out come. Have a great Christmas and a happy new year.

Edited by GoTs

Allright boys and girls, I'm back for the 15th week. Please post any pertinent information I might need to help make a decision, and please don't ask me to pick your entire lineup.

Fire away. :D

612850[/snapback]

Hugh the Guru,

I start my FFL playoffs this weekend and need some help on WDIS as my #2 RB (as always :D ) and also my #3 WR. My entire roster is listed below. At this point, I am starting DD (vs. CHI) and JJ (vs. PHI), for the simple fact that DD has been a fantasy point machine for me the last few weeks and JJ has been solid. I'm not sure if SJax is starting this week and how much playing time he'll get, and I'm a little gunshy about Jamal because he hasn't exactly 'exploded' this year if you know what I mean (but he has a nice matchup vs. Indy). And on my wideouts I have Horn, DJax and Boldin. I hate sitting Ward but I see PIT running the ball all day and that means zippo out of the passing game. Am I on the right track with these starts? Or should I switch it up? Thanks as always with your sound advice B)

Bulger, Marc STL QB

Rattay, Tim SFO QB

Davis, Domanick HOU

Green, William CLE

Jackson, Steven STL

Jones, Julius DAL

Taylor, Chester BAL

Boldin, Anquan ARI

Horn, Joe NOS

Jackson, Darrell SEA

Johnson, Keyshawn DAL

Ward, Hines PIT

Clark, Dallas IND TE

Gates, Antonio SDC

Longwell, Ryan GBP

Cardinals, Arizona ARI

Lewis, Jamal BAL

Hey, Hugh. Been checking your advice for a few weeks now. Must say you7're as solid as they come. I need to start 6 of the following (minimum of 2 at a position). Scoring is the same; points for yards and length of TD. I won this past week even though I sat Holt and LJ. Alexander is a must start. I would also lean toward Holt and KJ. How about the others?

Alexander @ Jets

DD @ Chi

Goings @ Atl

Kevin Jones vs Min

LJ vs Den

S. Jackson @ Ari (assuming he plays)

Holt @ Ari

Ji. Smith @ GB

An. Johnson @ Chi

Moulds @ Cin