[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Staley Downgraded

max

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...e/s_283835.html

Per the pittsburgh tribune review Staley downgraded to questionable.

Staley downgraded to questionable for Sunday's game

By Jerry DiPaola

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Thursday, December 16, 2004

At the start of the week, Steelers coach Bill Cowher was confident running back Duce Staley would be able to play Saturday against the New York Giants.

That level of confidence fell Wednesday when Cowher downgraded Staley from probable to questionable on the injury list.

Figures, in my playoffs this week the guy I am playing has Bettis. I was hoping Staley would carry the load this week.

From the Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Steelers Notebook: Burress out; Staley hopeful

Friday, December 17, 2004

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Scratch receiver Plaxico Burress from the game tomorrow against the New York Giants -- in fact, he's planning to give his balky hamstring a three-day vacation -- but don't write off halfback Duce Staley just yet.

Both offensive standouts, listed as questionable for the contest at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., looked at their hamstring injuries in different ways yesterday after missing a key practice before 1:30 p.m. kickoff tomorrow.

Staley clinged to hope: "Right now, I'm definitely going to take it a step at a time. We come in [today] and go through the same thing -- treatment, test the strength, and go from there. You definitely don't want to miss practice. But hamstrings are a funny thing. As soon as you think you got your strength back ... you got to go right back in the tank. Mentally, you think you're ready, then you take two or three steps back.

"There's still a chance I could play."

Staley, who was downgraded Wednesday to questionable from probable, admitted it was difficult Sunday against the Jets to warm up the hamstring.

Burress similarly expressed problems with his hamstring, warming up before the Jacksonville game to no avail. He attempted to run in practice Tuesday, but stood and watched the final two workouts of the week.

"I'm kind of still feeling it a little bit," Burress said of the injury that has prevented him from playing the past three games. "I don't know what's going to happen. I'm going to take three days off and see how it feels. Get a little more treatment, a little more rest. I feel good, but it's still sore."

Antwaan Randle El is expected to start again instead of Burress, who remains second on the team in receptions (32) and third in touchdowns (four). And Jerome Bettis would start in place of Staley, the team leader with 809 yards rushing.

"I'm ready to rock," said Bettis, who has gained 555 yards the past six games with Staley mostly out. "That's what I do."

In the Early edition of Saturday, December 18th's Postgazette they have this article. It is different from the article I posted earlier from Friday's post gazette.

Here is part of it. The rest is in the link below:

Inability to accelerate keeps Staley on bench vs. Giants

Saturday, December 18, 2004

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Duce Staley is not expected to play against the New York Giants and probably won't be in uniform for the 1:30 p.m. game today, but it's not solely because the Steelers want him to rest his ailing hamstring.

Staley did not run well in the division-clinching victory Sunday against the New York Jets and admitted afterward he couldn't accelerate to get away from defenders, particularly on screen passes. Staley rushed for 51 yards on 16 carries against the Jets, but his injury prevented him from hitting several holes that the Steelers thought could have led to big gains.

The Steelers don't want that to happen against the Giants, who are allowing an average of 183.2 yards rushing the past four games, which is why they will start Jerome Bettis for the fifth time this season.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04353/428866.stm