[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNair Done for the Year

spain

McNair likely done for year

Titans Coach Jeff Fisher and quarterback Steve McNair have talked.

So far, however, neither has said anything publicly about McNair's status for the rest of the season.

But based on McNair's continued problems with his sternum injury, the Titans are expected to announce he will sit out the final three games.

Fisher hinted the announcement could come as soon as today. McNair was unavailable for comment yesterday.

McNair hasn't practiced since re-injuring his sternum on Nov. 28 at Houston, and he hasn't even been throwing.

Because cartilage in the injured area has been strained, McNair has also had discomfort in his back. He had similar problems when he suffered a sternum injury in 2000.

The Titans are looking into designing some kind of body armor for McNair, but it won't be ready this season.

''It would be like putting on a flak jacket, a rib protector that would spread the force (of the hit) out. We'll look into it more during the offseason,'' Fisher said.

McNair first injured his sternum on Sept. 26 against Jacksonville.

He has played in just eight games and last month hinted that he may retire.

The Titans think the chances of McNair playing next season will improve significantly if he doesn't suffer further problems with the sternum this season.

''He needs an offseason where he can run around and lift and condition himself to put himself in the best shape,'' Fisher said. ''That is possible with time during the offseason.''

Backup quarterback Billy Volek, meanwhile, is prepared to make another start Sunday at Oakland. He's thrown for 695 yards and six touchdowns the past two games.

Nasty injury: Fisher indicated center Justin Hartwig, who suffered a nasty laceration to his right ring finger Monday night against the Chiefs, might be an emergency option at guard against the Raiders.

Hartwig still had a large wrap around the finger yesterday.

''I don't think I'm going to be playing this week,'' he said. ''I just can't do much with my hand now.''

Hartwig said he had some frightening moments Monday night as he came to realize the seriousness of the wound. A Chiefs player wearing a seven-stud cleat unintentionally stepped on Hartwig's hand, ripping up his finger.

''Immediately I panicked. There was blood shooting down my hand,'' he said. ''I have some nerve damage. I don't have a lot of feeling in my finger right now but they are saying it shouldn't be permanent. … But my finger is pretty chopped up right now.''

Hartwig said he nearly fainted when doctors looked more closely at his finger in the Coliseum training room and when they surgically repaired it and closed it up with a dozen stitches.

''A lot of (teammates) thought they saw a compound fracture, my bone sticking out,'' he said. ''But it was actually … they asked me to flex my finger and the insides of my finger started popping out. It wasn't a pleasant sight.''

Rookie Eugene Amano is expected to start at center against the Raiders, with utility man Jason Mathews prepared to shift from tackle to center if needed.

''I've never played center,'' Mathews said. ''I might as well play fullback. We're just picking names out of a hat.''

Other linemen: As for other injured offensive linemen, tackle Brad Hopkins (hand), guard Benji Olson (toe) and tackle Fred Miller (ankle) didn't practice yesterday.

Olson and Miller are expected to play at Oakland. Hopkins said he wants to play while wearing a cast on his broken right hand, but it's probably too soon to do so.

Brown update: Running back Chris Brown (turf toe) will see orthopedist Dr. James Andrews today in Birmingham, Ala.

Brown has played the past two weeks despite not practicing.

''We just want to make sure we're doing the right things to make sure we're not going to subject him to further injury or risk,'' Fisher said.

He said ''there is a very good possibility'' Brown will still be able to play against Oakland.

Calmus has surgery: Linebacker Rocky Calmus underwent surgery to repair his torn left hamstring earlier this week.

''This speeds up the process,'' Fisher said. ''He'll be back for training camp, and will probably be able to participate in the minicamps.''

Calmus suffered the injury on Dec. 5 at Indianapolis.

Helping hands: Strapped for bodies, the Titans got creative during offensive and defensive walkthroughs at the end of yesterday's practice.

Equipment assistant Joey Barranco lined up as a cornerback against wide receiver Drew Bennett, while McNair stood in the spot of a deep safety.

Rolle probably done: Fisher acknowledged that cornerback Samari Rolle (knee) probably won't return for the final three games: ''It is going to be difficult for him to come back.''

Award for Volek: Volek was voted the FedEx Air Player of the Week for his performance (career-high 426 yards, four touchdowns, 130.6 passer rating) in Monday's 49-38 loss to the Chiefs.

— JIM WYATT, PAUL KUHARSKY