[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ferguson clotheslined!

Savage Beatings

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/rev/dec04/285684.asp

I hope this link works (edit, small picture on right-local paper actually has 4-photas of hit on front page).

I am sure all you Viking fans would be screaming suspension if that was Randy Moss on the receiving end of this obvious intentional hit.

622043[/snapback]

doesnt mater if it was moss or not should be a suspention

:D

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

I agree.  At full speed funny things happen.  If Darius was 6" lower and hit him in the chest he would have been on everyone's plays of the week.  I am not saying he shouldn't be fined, but this a a full contact sport and nasty things are going to happen when two grown, athletic men throw their bodies at each other.

621894[/snapback]

I agree completely. :D

“This is a very dangerous game we play and I always try to play within the rules,” Darius said. “Understand, sometimes these unfortunate things happen and I just pray for his speedy recovery.

Sounds like a classy guy to me.

btw, they ejected him so he wouldn't hurt anymore Packers, they were worried for thier safety.

Sounds like a classy guy to me. 

btw, they ejected him so he wouldn't hurt anymore Packers, they were worried for thier safety.

622401[/snapback]

Well, at least H8 is in his usual form.

To be honest, it looked like Darius's forearm hit Fergy's head because Darius mis-timed his jump and Fergy's. Darius was on the way up and Fergy was starting to come down. I don't think Darius intentionally tried to hurt him, but he needs to take that "technique" out of his repertoire. If he's not coordinated enough to make SURE he's not snapping people's necks, then he obviously shouldn't be swinging his arm like that.

On a sidenote, the aftermath of that play gave me yet another reason to be proud to be a Packer fan. NOBODY threw ANYTHING at Darius as he ran to the locker room. I'm so sick of jackass sports fans and I'm glad Green Bay showed everyone else how to behave. :D

I agree completely.  :D

622200[/snapback]

And potentially breaking a fellow man's neck was classy too, tanked? Many sports are "contact sports", but they do not give athletes laissez faire to commit on-the-field felonious assault.

I think you need to open your eyes and see the bigger picture, tanked. This senseless, so-called "classy" move by Darius could have paralyzed Ferguson for life, yet you worship Darius like he's the second coming of Christ. When you have a son and his neck is broken by such a senseless maneuver, you will think otherwise. But for now, think little and think infrequently, like you do when you answer these posts.

And potentially breaking a fellow man's neck was classy too, tanked? Many sports are "contact sports", but they do not give athletes laissez faire to commit on-the-field felonious assault. 

I think you need to open your eyes and see the bigger picture, tanked. This senseless, so-called "classy" move by Darius could have paralyzed Ferguson for life, yet you worship Darius like he's the second coming of Christ. When you have a son and his neck is broken by such a senseless maneuver, you will think otherwise. But for now, think little and think infrequently, like you do when you answer these posts.

623572[/snapback]

I think you quoted the wrong person. I didn't state that Darius was classy. More importantly, I am not H8tank.

Does anyone have a link to the actual video of the hit?????

624098[/snapback]

I found a link on foxsports about DelRios response, but I can't get it to load. I was hoping the hit would be included in the video. Anyone have luck loading this?

I found a link on foxsports about DelRios response, but I can't get it to load.  I was hoping the hit would be included in the video.  Anyone have luck loading this?

624106[/snapback]

Yeah, he said that after viewing the video he does not believe Darius intended to hurt Ferguson. He agrees with the penalty and possible fine, but not suspension. In his opinion, suspensions have only been issued in the past for players with a history of questionable hits, of which Darius has none. He also said that at first he was upset over the ejection (feeling the refs were swayed by the 10min delay and fan/player reaction) but in retrospect he agreed that in order to maintain control of the situation the refs really had no choice.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_19122380.shtml

After the game, Darius acknowledged that he swung violently but said he was trying to dislodge the ball from Ferguson’s arms rather than hit him in the neck and head. But Sherman’s take on the hit was the same Monday, after he’d seen the game videotape.

“I made my evaluation last night when you all asked me,” Sherman said. “I haven’t changed.”

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio, on the other hand, told reporters in Jacksonville on Monday that the hit wasn’t cheap. Del Rio in retrospect agreed with the officials’ decision to eject Darius but said he doesn’t expect a suspension because his player doesn’t have a history of illegal hits.

“I don’t believe it was his intent to hurt anyone,” Del Rio said. “He did not go helmet to helmet. He did not project himself or launch himself into the guy. He attempted to club at the football and ended up clubbing the guy in the head. It should be flagged and it was, and I’m sure it’ll be fined and it should be. If he really wanted to hurt the guy, he’d launch himself or he’d go helmet on helmet and really kill that guy.”

Sherman said he won’t lobby the NFL for a specific fine or penalty for Darius. The league regularly sanctions players for illegal hits on unprotected players, such as helmet-to-helmet shots on receivers trying to catch the ball. First-time fines often are in the $5,000 to $7,500 range, though that total can increase substantially and even include a suspension if league officials consider an illegal hit especially violent and unnecessary.

“In this league, there’s a responsibility of players to play the game as hard and physical as they can because that’s what they’re paid to do,” Sherman said, “but at the same time be wise enough to protect each other. I’ve voiced that message a number of times to our players.”

From FoxSports.com

Del Rio also said he expected Darius to be fined but not suspended for the shot that temporarily paralyzed Ferguson and knocked him unconscious Sunday.

"It was a nasty shot, but I don't believe his intent was to headhunt the guy," Del Rio said.

Ferguson was taken off the field on a stretcher and temporarily paralyzed below the waist following the hit. He regained feeling and movement on his way to the hospital, where he spent Sunday night. He will remain there at least one more night for tests and observation.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Robert Ferguson," Del Rio said. "My understanding is he's doing OK up there and everything's going to be all right. But it was a scary situation and a very serious situation."

As Ferguson made a leaping, 31-yard catch at midfield, Darius hit the defenseless receiver across the neck with a left forearm. The shot ripped off Ferguson's helmet, stunned the crowd at Lambeau Field and infuriated the Packers with 4:41 remaining in a 28-25 loss to the Jaguars.

Darius was flagged 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct and ejected by referee Ed Hochuli.

"He plays a physical brand of football, but he plays within the rules," Del Rio said. "He did not go helmet to helmet. He did not project himself or launch himself into the guy. He attempted to club at the football and ended up clubbing the guy in the head. It should be flagged and it was. I'm sure it will be fined and it should be.

"If he really wanted to hurt the guy, he would launch himself or he would go helmet on helmet and really kill the guy."

Packers coach Mike Sherman called the hit "a cheap shot," and some players said there probably would have been retaliation had Darius stayed in the game.

Del Rio said he was initially upset with the ejection because he thought it was a response to the 10-minute delay, the numerous replays on the scoreboard and the partisan crowd's reaction. But he said Monday it was "probably the wise thing to do."

"They have to do what they can to control the game," he said.

Del Rio also said he thought it was "highly unlikely" the league would suspend Darius.

"The guys who have been suspended in the past out of the secondary have had a history of doing things, a track record, several warnings and several big fines," Del Rio said. "I just don't see him in that category."

The league fined Denver Broncos safety Kenoy Kennedy a total of $17,500 in 2002 for two hits and suspended him for one game for a third.

He was fined $7,500 for a hit on St. Louis' Isaac Bruce and $10,000 for a hit on San Diego's Fred McCrary. Both receivers were deemed to be in a defenseless position when Kennedy hit them.

Kennedy was later suspended after a helmet-to-helmet hit on Miami's Chris Chambers, who suffered a concussion.

AFC spokesman Steve Alic said the league would look at Darius' hit and that any fine, if appropriate, would probably come Friday. A suspension could be handed out at any time.

Darius was not available for comment Monday, but said after the game he was trying to jar the ball loose.

"It was nothing intentional," said Darius, whose only fine for a hit came in 2001 in the preseason against Kansas City running back Priest Holmes. "I love to play this game 100 miles an hour, and I would never do anything outside the rules."

I think you need to open your eyes and see the bigger picture,

I think you need to look no further than irvins jacked up peice, watch them unload... any one of those hits could end a career.

Also, those little yellow bean bags can end a career of a player at any time too, shall we remove those from the game?

Darius is a class athlete, he is a professional. I'll take his word over some fantasy chump know it all and some coach who couldn't lead his team to a win.