[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Once again, Peyton fails owners when it counts

Wolv

I had him last year: I lost as he did zilch and was booted from the playoffs.

This year, I played vs the Peyton owner for SB rights. Once again, Peyton let down the owner when he was needed the most. At least this time I'm on the side that advances :D

2 years ago I traded for him to make the Bowl run and he tanked on me too.

yes, Peyton sucks.  I cant understand why anyone would have him on their fantasy team... :D

622403[/snapback]

There are too many teams that got to the playoffs based on Manning alone. If your team relies on one guy to win games, maybe you aren't as good as you think you are.

Same thing with Holmes. The guy that has had Holmes in our league has made and then tanked the playoffs three years running!

I had Manning, and he only helped me win two more games than I would have with an average QB. He didn't help me this week, but neither did the rest of my team. I had three guys score more than 10 points this week, LT, Gates and J. Smith, the rest coughed up a hairball. :D

Manning would have had to put up like 550 and 6 TDs to help me this week... and I was run away high scorer in my league this year by over 300 points. A lot of those were "fluff" points added by Manning!

Look at it this way. You coulda had McNabb this week, tied your opponent, and lose the tie-breaker. Why does that sound familiar? :D Oh yeah, that's what happened to me this week. :D

I didn't need a "monster" game out of McNabb but, 3 turnovers sure didnt' help.

There are too many teams that got to the playoffs based on Manning alone.  If your team relies on one guy to win games, maybe you aren't as good as you think you are.

622438[/snapback]

Exactly my point.

In NO WAY am I saying Peyton sucks! In fact, just as McBoog said, a lot of average teams made it to the playoffs BECAUSE of Mannings strong showings.

And I'm not busting on Peyton for his un-Manninglike game. In fact, I posted last week stating that this is the best week to play vs Peyton owners due to his matchup. I'm not surprised at the outcome.

But I simply stated a fact here - Peyton got most owners into the playoffs. He also just lost it for a lot of teams too, esp. those teams that have been riding only his coattails thus far...I'm also pointing out that this is a TREND. It has happened to FF owners the past few years running...

There is no better QB than Manning, but when it comes to FF and crunch time he leaves a lot to be desired.....

There is no better QB than Manning, but when it comes to FF and crunch time he leaves a lot to be desired.....

622465[/snapback]

I think you are making a giant leap of faith here. I can see an argument for a player, Barry Bonds for example, that fails to show up in the REAL playoff matches for a particular sport. Folding under pressure, better opposition, whatever might cause this, it does happen in the REAL world.

This however is FANTASY football. There is no way ANY player is going to go into a regular season game and think, "Golly gee willackers! This is week 16 and most fantasy football playoffs start this week! I better perform wee! God, I hope I can handle the pressure!"

For these guys it is "crunch time" as any late season game and playoff scenarios would play out.

The reality is that Manning, and in my case almost every other stud on my squad, just happened to have tough match ups in week 15. It is how the schedule and the dynamics of the season went.

Do you mean to tell me that Manning would have had a comperable performance against the Titans, Chiefs, Raiders or any other joke of a defensive unit?

As stated many times by many people, "That is why they play the games!" Just look at what the Chargers have done. Good fortune and unexpected improvement.

I have seen Manning have average days against Bad teams and go-off on good ones. I think you have to give the Ravens as much credit for what they did against him as you do blame for Manning coming up average!

I agree that of course Peyton has had a phenomenal season and had a good actual football game last night in that he didn't turn the ball over against a tough defense, and most importantly his team got the win...I don't think the initial poster was implying otherwise, he was just pointing out how he didn't do much in the fantasy playoffs. And he has done that before.

I won the Superbowl in one league last year in large part due to my opponent relying heavily on the combo of Peyton and Marvin. Some very good players that I've had on my teams in multiple seasons do always appear to collapse in the fantasy playoffs for whatever reason. Two that come to mind quickly are Deuce McCallister and Terrell Owens. Doesn't mean they aren't good players or that I wouldn't draft them again, it is just an interesting fact to note, and perhaps something to consider. :D

Edited by Skrappy1

Look at it this way.  You coulda had McNabb this week, tied your opponent, and lose the tie-breaker.  Why does that sound familiar? :D Oh yeah, that's what happened to me this week. :D

I didn't need a "monster" game out of McNabb but, 3 turnovers sure didnt' help.

622455[/snapback]

Yeah, it really sucks especially when your opponent has Brees and Chandler as his starting QBs, and you have McNabb and Plummer. Oh, that's right I had Chandler and Brees as my QBs, all I can say is thank goodness for Porter.

Yeah, it really sucks especially when your opponent has Brees and Chandler as his starting QBs, and you have McNabb and Plummer.  Oh, that's right I had Chandler and Brees as my QBs, all I can say is thank goodness for Porter.

622750[/snapback]

No, what really sucks is when your opponent has Volek and Culpepper as his starting QB's. :D

I agree that of course Peyton has had a phenomenal season and had a good actual football game last night in that he didn't turn the ball over against a tough defense, and most importantly his team got the win...I don't think the initial poster was implying otherwise, he was just pointing out how he didn't do much in the fantasy playoffs. And he has done that before.

622715[/snapback]

Manning played very well against a good defense last night. That may not translate into great fantasy numbers, but nobody should except 4 TDs against the Ravens anyway. That's completely unrealistic.

The most consistent fantasy players down the stretch are RBs. I've NEVER won a fantasy league without a solid RB combo (e.g., George/Taylor in 2000, LT/Faulk last year and will have LT/C-Mart this weekend). IMO, drafing a QB in the first round sets one up for failure.

Edited by Bill Swerski

The reality is that Manning, and in my case almost every other stud on my squad, just happened to have tough match ups in week 15.  It is how the schedule and the dynamics of the season went. 

Do you mean to tell me that Manning would have had a comperable performance against the Titans, Chiefs, Raiders or any other joke of a defensive unit? 

I still don't see the point of saying he "gets average" during the FF playoffs. It is luck of the scheduling draw. Period.

Change my mind by convincingly answering the question in my quote above!

I agree with Bill. Riding a solid RB combo is what will get you the ring! QBs can be like WRs and have wildly inconsistent games.

Yeah, it really sucks especially when your opponent has Brees and Chandler as his starting QBs, and you have McNabb and Plummer.  Oh, that's right I had Chandler and Brees as my QBs, all I can say is thank goodness for Porter.

622750[/snapback]

Where is my :flipyouoffwithbothfingers: smiley?

I still don't see the point of saying he "gets average" during the FF playoffs.  It is luck of the scheduling draw. Period.

622833[/snapback]

Exactly. Sounds like your team and mine were playing the same opponents - all my matchups stunk, bar one - and that was Griese against NO, and he stunk it up without any help. :D

I played the Manning owner (top scorer all year) and won as I started Kerry "Jim Beam" Collins this week :D , with a little Larry Johnson thrown in.. I drafted Holmes and got the KC scraps with diaper pins taken off. Guarenteed $750 for being in the Super Bowl.. 1st pays $1050.. Needless to say, I'm happy

Manning was great -- fantasy owners should have seen this coming. And if they benched him they are probably one of the guys looking ahead to this week's matchups and picked up Griese earlier in the year just for this occasiion. Now they're crying cuz he (Manning) got 15 points (in our league) while Griese had 9. Such are the fortunes of fantasy football. You might have wanted more out of Manning, but to expect it against a Raven defense that was highly motivated, is foolish. While Collins would have been great to have at qb this week, I never would have made the playoffs with him (see last week's totals). Thankfully, my quarterback, Trent Green, was good enough both weeks.

To all the Manning crybabys... WAKE UP!!! it's a no brainer to KNOW Manning is a weekly starter. But, when he plays a stout defense like Baltimore(they gave McNabb and C-Pep some of their lowest FF points this season) it's time to scour the WW like any ASTUTE ff owner would do. Volek/Griese are prime examples. Those that manage their FF teams by resting on a 'select" few players to carry their team deserve to lose in playoff time for not maneuvering themselves into finding solid back-ups in playoff rounds.

To all the Manning crybabys... WAKE UP!!! it's a no brainer to KNOW Manning is a weekly starter. But, when he plays a stout defense like Baltimore(they gave McNabb and C-Pep some of their lowest FF points this season) it's time to scour the WW like any ASTUTE ff owner would do. Volek/Griese are prime examples. Those that manage their FF teams by resting on a 'select" few players to carry their team deserve to lose in playoff time for not maneuvering themselves into finding solid back-ups in playoff rounds.

623385[/snapback]

Griese didn't do me any favors this week ...

622465[/snapback]

Yeah. I'm sure Manning chocked under the pressure of your fantasy playoffs B)

:DLets go insurance adjusters! Lets go!

:DCut that meat! Cut that meat!

Yeah.  I'm sure Manning chocked under the pressure of your fantasy playoffs :D

623627[/snapback]

He didn't choke under mine. He choked under my opponents :D

I hate these people that want to construe an FF rant to direct pressure for the player. Seriously, who is that stupid to think that is the case. Try reading between the lines. Manning has a history of failing fantasy owners who leaned on him during the regular season into the playoffs. The average team that rode him to the playoffs now get to take a seat in the stands. Again.

622715[/snapback]

Exactly.