[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NE vs. Jets

Rovers

Now, the Pats have something really important to play for next week.... the coveted bye. This assures the fact that NE won't be sleep walking next week, and as a Jets' fan, I prefer it to play out like this.

Both teams will bring thier A game, and it should be a war. No, I'm not about to predict the outcome, but now this gets spicy. Pennington at war with the NY press, Brady making a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes that he will be called onto the carpet for...... and the Weiss issue.... I can't wait!

Just a sideline here.... there is a beat reporter who works for the NY Post. Background: This reporter RAPED Pennington, said he can't win the big game, called him a choke artist, just really ripped him. Add to that the fact that the R Murdoch owned paper is EASILLY the most scandal ridden sensationalistic oriented rag even "written", that has no right to call itself a newspaper, with absolutely no integrity..... they write headlines to sell papers, and truth isn't even so much as an afterthought. Pennington's comments were diected at this one guy, Cannizzaro, who is pro-Giants to start with, and anti-Jets, always has been.

Now, has Pennington even been in the league long enough, and been in enough big games to earn this tag? The Post this week glowed about the Giants and Eli, who lost, and still managed to rip the Jets, who are 10-4 and headed to the playoffs. If ESPN, in Connecticut, with access to this rag were really trying to be reporters, this background would come up. I for one, am very happy that Pennington said what he said, talking about honesty and integrity, but wish he had named names. I've done that for him. Geeze, yes, the guy had a very bad game against the Steelers, but give him, and the Jets a freakin break. Mark Cannizzaro is worse than celebrity paparazzi.... note the similar spellings....

....and THAT, is the rest of the story.

All true re: next week's Jets-Pats game. Gonna be a good one. And my "road to Super Bowl goes through NE again" theory from that other post sure went to hell last night, eh? :D:D

Edit to add props to the Fins for treating this game like it was their Super Bowl. But we Pats fans can't complain, we've lived so many times by Brady's heroics and now we've got to suck it up and die by them, too....you can only throw from your arse so many times at this level before it gets picked off. This isn't the backyard, this is the NFL and even the worst teams have tremendous athletes. Some bad decisions by Brady – and we've honestly gotten spoiled because he's never made bad decisions before; that's always one of the things we've been able to count on game after game – and the Fins, to their credit, took advantage.

Edited by msaint

After the Pats beat the Bengals last week, the Jets/Steelers game was starting (4PM game).

Leaving the stadium, everyone was going J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets, Jets.

Meaning, if the Jets beat the Steelers, the Pats would move up to the #1 seed.

I was like, are these people crazy, if the Jets lose, the Pats win the division, and the division isn't on the line week 16 against the Jets.

Morons I say, willing to trade basically a lock for the #2 seed (I know, it's not a lock), for the possiblity of falling to the number 5 seed (if the Jets overtake them for the division).

Now, after the meltdown in Miami, I am glad the Jets lost to the Steelers.

Edited by Patsfan04

The Jets actually have less to play for than anyone.. They have basically locked up the 5 seed in the AFC Playoffs. No chance to catch the Pats (Pats don't lose three in a row to finish the season) and not much chance they slip to the 6 seed (Jets don't lose 2 in a row to finish the season).

I'm sure both teams will play hard, but the Jets aren't going to risk their spot for the playoffs, IMO.

Brady is to blame for 50% of that loss, but at least 50% of the blame goes to the Charlie Weis distraction. You could tell the offense (except Dillon) wasn't in synch, especially Brady.

I'm VERY worried that the Weis move will be our undoing. YES, coaching is that important.

I couldn't agree with Rovers more. The NY media, ESPN radio ESPECIALLY, tossed Chad under th e bus last week. I don't mean "he had a bad game" talk, Mike n Mike, Wally and teh Keeg, Brandon Tereny (sp)... all of them.. spent the entire week talking about his lack of arm strength, lack of accuracy, lack of ability to win a big game ("what had he doen since Oakland pounded them in playoffs 2 years earlier"), etc... And Jet fans were calling in yelling abou tthe same ***e. In fact, I even heard Fireman Ed call in complaining about that Chad is a "good" quarterback, but not a great one and that they will never win a Superbowl with him.

I boil it all down to a Jet fan losing mentality. 2 years ago, Chad was practicly Jesus to them. In teh midst of the best season in Jet recent history, they wanna tear him down after 1 bad game. I live in CT, and I am SO glad he said what he said after the game. Newspapers and radio are gettign all revisionist now, saying they were complaining about a bad game and he can't take it. I heard it and it was VERY vicous and I don't blame the guy one bit. The team is ***e without him and fans are so ready to Tony Dungy him* that they deserve every word he lays out.

*Tony Dungy- Verb: act in which fans and or media crucify player and or coach (who has resurected sports franchise) for not winning championship fast enough, despite playoff appearances and the fact that before their arrival said championship was nothing more than a pipe dream. Firing and or release often follows.

Brady is to blame for 50% of that loss, but at least 50% of the blame goes to the Charlie Weis distraction.  You could tell the offense (except Dillon) wasn't in synch, especially Brady.

I'm VERY worried that the Weis move will be our undoing. YES, coaching is that important.

623959[/snapback]

I'm also worried that the Pats O will not be the same w/o Weiss, but I'm not going to go jumping off a bridge just yet. Hopefully last night will remind Weiss that he's got a job to do for the next month and a half. Next year is a different story . . .

The Jets actually have less to play for than anyone..  They have basically locked up the 5 seed in the AFC Playoffs.  No chance to catch the Pats (Pats don't lose three in a row to finish the season) and not much chance they slip to the 6 seed (Jets don't lose 2 in a row to finish the season).

I'm sure both teams will play hard, but the Jets aren't going to risk their spot for the playoffs, IMO.

623923[/snapback]

The Jets DO have something very important to play for. They have heard all year that they have only beaten mediorce teams. Even Herm Edwards has told them that they are a good football team, not a great one, until they show that they can beat the Pats, Steelers or Colts. They want to quiet these jerks in the media, and want to prove to themselves that they can beat the NFL's elite.

Add the fact that the wild card playoff spot is not clinched, they DO NOT want to have to go to St Louis in two weeks in a must win situation.

Hitsquad makes some other good points, but why wasn't OC Hackett called onto the media hot seat more? When they asked him after the Seattle game why they broke modus operendi and passed on first down, he said "because we needed to score points against this team to win." Most of the time, this bumbleweed will only let Pennington throw on third down. That kills the effectiveness of the play action, and makes it impossible to ever surprise the opposing defenses. Pennington showed what he can do when the play calling isn't so predictable and conservative against Seattle.

No, Pennington can't throw the ball 60 yards, but he can throw it 50. The chitstorm that hit him last week was totally unjustified. Against a team like Pittsburgh, being SO predictable makes it very hard to put points up. The Jets have the weapons, but when Hackett won't let the team use them, teams like Pitt and NE will continue to beat them. The only problem with the Jets offense has been the play calling by Hackett. So, all the S Moss haters..... you are blaming the wrong guy, blame Hackett.