[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bonus Playoff Round?

dryerson

Does anyone participate in a league with an extra (post-championship) round that coincides with the "real" NFL playoffs? Some of the guys in my league are discussing this for an extra bit of fun. Our idea is to chip into a separate pot and re-draft players (possibly retaining one or more players from our FF season rosters).

I'm looking for ideas/details on how others have run rounds like this. I'd imagine that there are no head-to-head matchups, just total points from the team you select. I searched the Huddle articles for pertinent articles, but could not find anything. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Some FF leagues do a playoff re-draft ... or a suicide tourney using players from the NFL teams that make the playoffs ... or, simply have a cumulative points playoff pool using the players from each FF team's season-ending roster.

I'm sure that are other ideas out there, but these are the three that my leagues have used in the past.

Here is the e-mail I sent out last year to my league about "Playoff Fantasy Football"- we used RTSports to do the scoring and rosters, etc. It cost $19.95 to buy a League on there and it is separtae from the regular season league.

It was fun and we are doing it again this season- gives you someone to root for throughout the playoffs even when your home-towners aren't playing......

Hope it helps.....

2004 Fantasy Playoff League

The Rules:

1. All scoring is the same as our regular league.

2. Roster size is as follows:

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Special Teams Unit, 2 individual "D" guys. (Total of 10 spots).

3. You can select any NFL player from any NFL playoff team that you like with 2 wrinkles:

-The first is that players may overlap on multiple fantasy teams. i.e. We could all decide to have Peyton Manning on our team.

- The second (and more important) is that for the first 2 rounds of the playoffs when there will be 8 teams participating each week you MUST have at least one player from each NFL Team playing that round, AND you can't have more than 2 players from any one NFL team.

For The Championship round and Super Bowl you can have whoever you want on your squad with no limits or exceptions.

The way I set things up is that you can go into your team's page on the Web Site and select your players on your own from the "Rosters-Modify" link on the left side of the page. Once your players are selected you will also have to go in to "Starters-modify" and check off each player as a starter for that week. If you have any trouble you can also e-mail your desired roster and I'll set it up for you.

Rosters must be entered either by YOU or ME prior to the start of the first NFL playoff game each week. Once the first game kicks off you are locked for the whole weekend so choose players wisely.

I will also audit the rosters each week to make sure that you are within the rules of having 1 guy from each team etc. and will let you know if you are in violation.

4. Scoring is total points only throughout the Super Bowl.

5. $50 Entry Fee for each team (9 Teams) will be carried over to your 2004 regular fantasy account.

Winners:

1st Place winner will get $250 fantasy credit for next year.

2nd place winner will get $100 fantasy credit for next year.

Winners will also obviously not be charged the entry fee.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and start looking at those fantasy match-ups.

My league has a get-even game. The last week of the regular season, we choose who we want to "get-even" with, and play, just for the fun of it.

That team that blew you out on "pure luck", the team that smoked you twice this season, or how about the team that took you out of the playoffs.

The last week, it's all about revenge....

My two local leagues extend the merriment right thru the SB. We freeze the rosters after the regular season. In one league we play everyone (you should see the rash of waivers for those backups). In the other league we play a standard lineup each week (assuming you have players to fill each position). We put in $25 and payout top 3 places. Winnings are added to HTH and SB playoffs to determine next year's draft order (biggest loser gets first pick).

In our league, we chip into a postseason pot. The postseason draft order is based on the regular season standings (in reverse order). You can freeze any player you had on your regular season roster if their teams are in the playoffs. Each frozen player counts as one round of your draft (if you keep eight players, you do not draft for eight rounds).

First week is just jockeying for position among the bottom four teams from the regular season with the rest on Bye. Week two of the playoffs, the matchups are set. The winner of these games pillages the roster of the team they beat, add them to their roster (number of players cannot exceed our league roster limits) and advance to the next round. Winners in the Conference Championship weekend pillage and then advance to Super Bowl weekend.

After the Super Bowl is done, for each player on the winning team, the original owner of that player gets a piece of 50% of the postseason pot. If the winning owner only manages to have eight players in his Super Bowl roster, and another owner has three players that were taken from their roster during our postseason play, then they get 3/8 of the 50% postseason pot. The Super Bowl winning owner takes the remaining 50%.

Complicated, but it works for us.

Does anyone participate in a league with an extra (post-championship) round that coincides with the "real" NFL playoffs?  Some of the guys in my league are discussing this for an extra bit of fun.  Our idea is to chip into a separate pot and re-draft players (possibly retaining one or more players from our FF season rosters). 

I'm looking for ideas/details on how others have run rounds like this.  I'd imagine that there are no head-to-head matchups, just total points from the team you select.  I searched the Huddle articles for pertinent articles, but could not find anything.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

624620[/snapback]

I run one "Playoff Redraft" and participate in another, both spinoffs from 2 local leagues. Each redraft has six teams -- much easier than trying to get 12 people together this time of the year, and the numbers work out perfectly since there are 12 NFL playoff teams. Everyone drafts 2 team QB, 2 K, 2 D/ST, and 8 skill players (we don't require a certain number of RB or WR, but you could if you want).

Like you figured, we do not do head-to-head, just total points for the entire NFL playoffs and SB. We use our regular season scoring system, sometimes tweaking it a bit to try out some potential new scoring ideas. Alot of fun, and a great way to keep the FF season going for those who still have interest.

Here's the note I sent to my league today:

FORMAT

1) Same scoring rules as our normal fantasy league.

2) Same starting lineup requirements. 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 FLEX (RB/WR), 1 PK, 1 DF (this will be the first year with the flex … in year’s past we required 2 RBs).

3) You will draft 8 players to play throughout the entire playoffs from the NFL playoff teams to satisfy the starting requirement listed in number 2 above. So if you take a player from a team on a bye week you get a zero for that week … but will get the score for that player in all other weeks in which he plays.

4) You many only take ONE player from any single team. So if you choose to take Peyton Manning he would be the ONLY Colt you could take (including kicker and defense) … if you decide to take Culpepper than you would not be able to take any other Viking.

5) There is no restriction on the number of rosters a player can be on; ie we could all take Manning if we wanted to … but if we do he becomes a non-factor.

6) Enter as many lineups as you like.

7) Invite friends to participate if you like.

ENTRY FEE

In years past it has been $5 or $10 depending on the participants. I’m of the mind of making it $10 but will go with what the majority decides.

PAYOUT

At the conclusion of the NFL superbowl, the participant that has accumulated the most fantasy points will take the pot in its entirety.

The time frame for entry is very short as there is typically less than a week between the last regular season game and the first playoff game and I have to have all entries emailed to me before the kick off of the first playoff game.

CURRENT NFL PLAYOFF TEAMS

PIT 13-1

NEP 12-2

IND 11-3

SDC 11-3

PHI 13-1

ATL 11-3

GBP 8-6

TEAMS LIKELY TO MAKE THE NFL PLAYOFFS

NYJ 10-4

One of BUF, BAL, JAC, or DEN all at 8-6

MIN 8-6

SEA 7-7 or STL 6-8 or even ARI 5-9

? one of the 6-8 teams

Our league we use suicide style playoffs. Now comes the time to show your knowledge as to who will do best. The FF season is based on picking the best players for a season. Just like the FFTOC style we can all pick the same players or go with our own hunches. Lots of fun. usually $25 buy-in and friends invited to play too. Last 3-4 years have anywhere of 30-40 participants.

we have done draft and experimented with auction. 6 or 7 teams. same scoring as during regular season. 1 qb, 2rb, 3 wr/te, 1 pk, 1 flex (any position). we then do total score for all weeks (not sure how you would do weekly matchups given the unevenness of number of players each week, although it would be a way to force teams to balance their drafting amongst different teams).

we have no restrictions on number of players from each team, and the winner has frequently been the team to stack up on players from a single team that does well.

I had a post on this Monday and no one responded. Does anyone have an excel spreadsheet to keep track of the standings? I had one about 4 years ago but can't find it now. I don't want to take $20 out of the pot to pay for a site for just playoffs, I have no problem hand calculating the scores and entering it in Excel.

Also, does this work if you allow someone to take ANY players? For example, if you are risky enough to take Edge, Peyton, Harrison, Vanderjagt and Pollard.

I had a post on this Monday and no one responded.  Does anyone have an excel spreadsheet to keep track of the standings?  I had one about 4 years ago but can't find it now.  I don't want to take $20 out of the pot to pay for a site for just playoffs, I have no problem hand calculating the scores and entering it in Excel.

Also, does this work if you allow someone to take ANY players?  For example, if you are risky enough to take Edge, Peyton, Harrison, Vanderjagt and Pollard.

625595[/snapback]

Todd1 - I do have an excel you could use. I sent you a private message.

Our playoff rules are:

Same scoring as regular season.

Each team can pick any players to start (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D/ST)

You get 4 drop/adds to use at any time through the playoffs.

Total points at the end of the playoffs wins.

Obviously if you are certain the Colts will get to the Super Bowl, and they do, your team will do well if you take all colts. It's risky though, you are screwed if they lose the first game.

Here is what we do in my league...

Starting Lineups & Scoring Rules are same as during the season. Owners post their lineups on the league board.

Round 1 - pick a starting lineup (QB, RBx2, WRx3, K, D)

Round 2 - pick a new starting lineup

Round 3 - you get 3 add/drops from your Rd 2 lineup - use 'em or lose 'em

Round 4 (Super Bowl) - you get 1 add/drop from your Rd 3 lineup

I keep track of the scoring on Excel and post the weekly results on the board.

It's a total points contest - we pay 1st & 2nd.

Call it the Postseason Shootout