[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ben roethlisberger doesnt deserve offensive ROY

there are some good candidates this year. i can't see how one wouldn't include him in the running..... unless one might be a delussional pat's fan fisherman who might be a touch bitter because the rest of the world doesn't hink brady is god.

Michael Clayton probably deserves it the most.

624886[/snapback]

Agreed.

Big Ben has been steady, but has not been really tested. He has been kept in a nice protective shell and has benefitted by strong D and a crushing running game.

Clayton performed all year and endured QB changes, WR injuries that made him, a rookie, the focus of the tougher DB match-ups, but continued to produce through it all.

nothing gets by Monsters of the Midway...

but its certainly no worse than starting a post asking how many times Joe Montana was picked off 4 times, in an attempt to poke fun at Tom Bradys performance and discredit his accomplishments.

was that question even answered in the post?

624885[/snapback]

Yes.

Agreed.

Big Ben has been steady, but has not been really tested.  He has been kept in a nice protective shell and has benefitted by strong D and a crushing running game.

Clayton performed all year and endured QB changes, WR injuries that made him, a rookie, the focus of the tougher DB match-ups, but continued to produce through it all.

624893[/snapback]

Well said and I agree.

cause his defense is good and his running backs are all better than Antowain Smith

624815[/snapback]

:D

You crack me up. 12-0 as a starter at QB? Certainly, they'll lose one of the two remaining, but c'mon, show the Rook some love ... he hasn't cost his team A SINGLE GAME all season. For a qb who came into the league a year early from "weak competition" and who fell into the starting role unexpectedly, he's done wonderfully. He might not be the absolute tops, but he's surely among the final contenders ...

Clayton -- nice year B)

Roeth -- nice year :D

ROY Williams -- nice start, nice long disappearance, strong finish?

Julius Jones -- incomplete year, nice potential.

Kevin Jones -- incomplete year, toooo topsy turvy.

Eli Manning -- a couple nice moments, but no.

Seems every QB costs his team a game at somepoint in the season ... Brady this week, Vick the week before, etc ... Not Roeth. That should earn him some love, if not the ROY.

Donutrun..I was kidding..it was in response to the "How many times did Joe Montana throw 4 ints in a game" thread

624923[/snapback]

Dang!! Wasted a good rant! I always miss the subtle stuff around here. :D Sorry to pile on when not necessary!! :D

As a long suffering steeeeeeler fan, I've come to love the rook ... B)

It comes down the two that are pretty much nominated on this thread for me. Clayton or Big Ben.

For me though it would be a vote for Ben and not just becuase I am a Steeler homer. But having watched every one of his games I just feel like this kid is something special and stepped right up when called on. Clayton has also been great and I would not be upset if he won but those are really the only two that I would consider above the rest. And there really is some good talent that will turn into studs in the rest of the bunch.

"Dang!! Wasted a good rant! I always miss the subtle stuff around here. Sorry to pile on when not necessary!!

As a long suffering steeeeeeler fan, I've come to love the rook ... "

hey Im not here to curb your enthusiasm

but a word to the wise...if Ben leads your team to a Superbowl victory this year...dont let the media compare him to Terry Bradshaw..because some naysayers at the Huddlerwill say "he could never shamelessly flirt with Jillian Barberie on the Fox pregame show like that".

C'mon Ben as ROY???When he averages <20 throws a game how does that justify "leading" a team to victory. He's only attempted >20 passes in 7 games this season. It isn't to hard to hand the rock to Bettis/Staley and take the pressure off of you. Clayton, on the otherhand, 3 different QBs, listed as #4 WR at season's beginning and step-up to the plate when injuries deplete the WR corp. He's done more than most rooks. Plus doing better than most vets in receptions. Clayton would/will have my vote for ROY before Ben.

C'mon Ben as ROY???When he averages <20 throws a game how does that justify "leading" a team to victory. He's only attempted >20 passes in 7 games this season. It isn't to hard to hand the rock to Bettis/Staley and take the pressure off of you. Clayton, on the otherhand, 3 different QBs, listed as #4 WR at season's beginning and step-up to the plate when injuries deplete the WR corp. He's done more than most rooks. Plus doing better than most vets in receptions. Clayton would/will have my vote for ROY before Ben.

624993[/snapback]

Clayton's had a nice year and his intangibles are good as you cite ... I wouldn't mind it if he won it ... but Big Ben is a deserving choice, too. He's avoided the rookie tendency to give away games -- and that's huge.

but a word to the wise...if Ben leads your team to a Superbowl victory this year...dont let the media compare him to Terry Bradshaw..because some naysayers at the Huddlerwill say "he could never shamelessly flirt with Jillian Barberie on the Fox pregame show like that".

624971[/snapback]

Ben is good, but Bradshaw is a god!!! :D Gotta love him ... and heck, Jillian is fine ... :D

Umm, we're talking Rookie of the Year. NOT Fantasy Rookie of the Year.

Roethlisberger: 182/276; 2400 yards; 65.9%; 15 TD; 10 INT; 1 rushing TD

Clayton: 74 catches; 1041 yards; 4 TD

Roethlisberger helped the Steelers to a 12-0 record and #1 seed in the super tough AFC. I cannot believe that anyone would even consider Clayton. It is not even close.

but its certainly no worse than starting a post asking how many times Joe Montana was picked off 4 times, in an attempt to poke fun at Tom Bradys performance and discredit his accomplishments.

624885[/snapback]

Remember this the next time people are blasting Manning. :D:D

Edited by CaptainHook

The Roethlisberger stuff really cracks me up. It is as if no one wants to fully give him the credit that he deserves. I don't even think that it is a question that he is the rookie of the year. If you don't think that he is a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE reason that the Steelers are where they are then you just haven't been watching their games. They do have him in a safe situation. They run the ball well, the play good defense, but Roethlisberger has been amazing. His 4th Quarter passer rating is 2nd in the NFL and his 3rd down numbers are amazing. He doesn't force the ball often (He did twice last week though), he plays intelligently, and has shown poise 4 times in games that came down to the wire. The guy is 12-0 as a starter and it is as if everyone is reluctant to give him the credit that he deserves. Everyone talks about his pass yards not being impressive, his attempts not being impressive, but the fact is he hasn't had to have huge passing games. The only high scoring game he was in was this week and he threw for 315. I don't care if people want to admit it or not, this kid's got "it". He's got composure, physical ability, a strong and accurate arm, good running ability and athleticism, and a lot of class. Add to that the fact that he is 12-0 and 22 years old and regardless of what happens this year, this Steeler fan is thrilled that Big Ben is in Pittsburgh. Clayton is the "fantasy" rookie of the year, but Big Ben is EASILY the NFL rookie of the year.

It is as if no one wants to fully give him the credit that he deserves.  I don't even think that it is a question that he is the rookie of the year.

625108[/snapback]

Not everyone. See my above post. I couldn't agree with you more. Roethlisberger. Hands down.