[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who goes to the Pro Bowl

Bill Swerski

link

The AFC South champion Indianapolis Colts will be represented by four players in the Feb. 13 Pro Bowl.

Selected to the AFC all-star squad, which was announced this afternoon, were quarterback Peyton Manning, wide receiver Marvin Harrison, running back Edgerrin James and defensive end Dwight Freeney.

All know the routine.

Harrison was selected to his sixth consecutive Pro Bowl while Manning will make his fifth appearance in the past six seasons. James is headed to his third Pro Bowl, his first since 2000. Freeney made his first appearance last season.

Center Jeff Saturday and offensive left tackle Tarik Glenn were named first-alternates at their position.

"Obviously it's a great honor," Manning said. "But as I've always said, there are other guys in (the locker room) that deserved to go as well."

Manning was the leading vote-getter in the fan balloting, becoming the first player to draw more than 1 million votes.

His popularity has spiked this season during his pursuit of Dan Marino's single-season touchdown record. Manning needs two touchdown passes on Sunday against San Diego to surpass Marino's record of 48 set in 1984.

Edited by CaptainHook

Jeff Saturday should be on the Colts list.

626222[/snapback]

Agreed, although he may have competition from Mawae and Nalen. I omitted stud tackle Tarik Glenn becuase he is having a less-than-studly year, IMO. Vanderjagt is also having a rather poor year, although at least he can blame it on an injury.

Jason David's 4 INTs are rather impressive as well, but I think that a better-known, but less-deserving guy like Bailey will get in instead.

Edit: David has 4 INTs, not 5.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Are the picks out already? My homer picks for the Steelers would be:

Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Alan Faneca, and Jeff Hartings for sure. I would also stongly push for Deshea Townsend and Dan Kreider.

I think of those that I mentioned at least seven will make it and maybe all nine.

I would push for Corey Dillon and Richard Seymour

likely to make it..Seymour and Rodney Harrison

626248[/snapback]

It'll be quite sad if Dillon doesn't make it . . . almost at 1500 yards and nearly 5 ypc to go along with 12 TDs? Travesty, even.

It'll be quite sad if Dillon doesn't make it . . . almost at 1500 yards and nearly 5 ypc to go along with 12 TDs?  Travesty, even.

626290[/snapback]

No vote for Vinatieri? With Vanderjagt having a bad year, I don't see how he won't get it.

Agreed on Seymour and Dillon, but I think that at least one NE LB should get in (Bruschi, Vrabel, or McGinnest). Unfortunately, none of those three really stand out in comparison to each other.

It's even more unfortunate that there's not a "general player" category for the Pro Bowl, as Troy Brown would run away with that, hands-down.

No vote for Vinatieri?  With Vanderjagt having a bad year, I don't see how he won't get it.

Agreed on Seymour and Dillon, but I think that at least one NE LB should get in (Bruschi, Vrabel, or McGinnest).  Unfortunately, none of those three really stand out in comparison to each other.

It's even more unfortunate that there's not a "general player" category for the Pro Bowl, as Troy Brown would run away with that, hands-down.

626302[/snapback]

I'm actually not that huge on Vinatieri - he's made some clutch kicks when they really counted, but I don't think he's all that great (and to be honest, I forgot that Ks even get to go to the pro-bowl :D ).

Troy could still make it a special teamer, but he missed a big chunk of the early part season.

I agree w/ you re: the LBs - none of them really stand out. They're all very solid, but I don't think any of them are pro-bowl material.

Are the picks out already?  My homer picks for the Steelers would be:

Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Alan Faneca, and Jeff Hartings for sure.  I would also stongly push for Deshea Townsend and Dan Kreider.

I think of those that I mentioned at least seven will make it and maybe all nine.

626242[/snapback]

Ben doesn't beling in the pro bowl, IMO. Farrior and Troy for sure. Hines, although having an off year stat-wise will likely go based on past performance and reputation.

I plan to vote for the Bus, but he ain't gonna make it.

6 Steelers are going- No Big Ben:

Steelers

Six Steelers Selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl Squad

PITTSBURGH— The Pittsburgh Steelers have placed six players on the 2005 Pro Bowl team announced today by the NFL.

It is the most Steelers players selected to the All-Star game since 2002 (the 2001 season). The Pro Bowl will be played Feb. 13, 2005 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu.

Steelers earning Pro Bowl recognition are: offensive guard Alan Faneca, inside linebacker James Farrior, center Jeff Hartings, safety Troy Polamalu, outside linebacker Joey Porter and wide receiver Hines Ward.

6 Steelers are going- No Big Ben:

Steelers

Six Steelers Selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl Squad

PITTSBURGH— The Pittsburgh Steelers have placed six players on the 2005 Pro Bowl team announced today by the NFL.

It is the most Steelers players selected to the All-Star game since 2002 (the 2001 season).  The Pro Bowl will be played Feb. 13, 2005 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu.

Steelers earning Pro Bowl recognition are: offensive guard Alan Faneca, inside linebacker James Farrior, center Jeff Hartings, safety Troy Polamalu, outside linebacker Joey Porter and wide receiver Hines Ward.

626390[/snapback]

Ward? Come on - over Reggie Wayne? That's asinine.

Green Bay:

I'd say Walker, Favre, Wahle, Rivera, Clifton deserve consideration.  Maybe 2 of those o-linemen will make it.  It would be unfortunate if Walker didn't make it.  I think Favre makes it because other than McNabb and Culpepper, what other QB in the NFC had a better season?

626420[/snapback]

No Favre- Vick was named!

FOUR PACKERS HEADING FOR HAWAII

In marking the first such honor for each player, fullback William Henderson and wide receiver Javon Walker were named to the NFC squad for the 2005 Pro Bowl, the National Football League announced Wednesday.

Also elected to professional football's all-star contest were running back Ahman Green and guard Marco Rivera, for the fourth and third consecutive years, respectively, giving the Packers a total four players voted for the honor. - More

yes, it is complete b.s.

626454[/snapback]

Have you ever seen Hines Ward block ? There is more to being a receiver than catching passes. Ward is great at everything he does at that position.

Have you ever seen Hines Ward block ?  There is more to being a receiver than catching passes.  Ward is great at everything he does at that position.

626478[/snapback]

Please Menudo. Please. Ward is a great blocker, but Wayne is no slouch. Wayne has had a much better overall year. Period.

Hines Ward 75 receptions 972 yards 13.0 avg. 4 TD

Reggie Wayne 71 receptions 1059 yards 14.9 avg. 11 TD

Edited by CaptainHook

Have you ever seen Hines Ward block ?  There is more to being a receiver than catching passes.  Ward is great at everything he does at that position.

626478[/snapback]

I wish people would realize this when they voted Shockey in as an alternate. As an all-around TE, that guy sucks.