[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Fantasy Advice - Week 16 - Playoff Edition

Hugh 0ne

Thank you in advance Hugh

This is for the Superbowl of our league, need to start 2 RB

Julius Jones vs Wash (tough matchup)

Willis McGahee @ SF ( does not look to good for him to play)

Emmitt Smith @ SEA (Good matchup)

Tatum Bell @ Tenn ( Looks like he may be the #1 option now)

AM I crazy for leaning towards Bell and Smith in the Superbowl leaving JJ on the bench

Who would you start ?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hugh, I have a couple of dilemmas going into the SB.

at WR two of these  Mason, Driver, Moulds kennison. (kennison seems to have been on fire lately.

RB, I'm feeling Mcallister and Bettis. should I even be conmsidering M Faulk or is that completly out of the question?

my opponent is playing Manning, dillon, C martin, Muhammed, A johnsom, graham, vinatieri and redskins.

thanks in advance

626610[/snapback]

I think Mason will have a nice week in the now pass oriented Titan defense and with Bailey covering Drew Bennett. Start him.

Driver is a nice option as well against a soft Vikes secondary. I think you have better options as well.

I like Moulds, even though he has been quiet. With the emergence of Evans, I think teams will be forced to take him more seriously, opening things up for Moulds.

I am just not a Kennison fan. Too inconsistent. I know it should be a high scoring game, but I just would not start him. I'd give Moulds a shot. He's got a great matchup and will do very well imo.

Since Staley is out, Bettis is a great option. Forget about Faulk. Good luck.

hello hugh - dave in dallas tx - I am leading in both my leagues - standard scoring - no yds for receptions - will have to chose my qb in my money league - going up against volek - I have brooks vs atl, leftwich at home against houston and bledsoe on the rd against cinn to chose from - who do you think my best play is ?? Last question - do you hear anything on wheather Wheatley will play - with mcgahee down and out looks like I will have to play him - if not I am sh*t outta luck as i have used up all my moves - thanks - dave

Standard 12 team performance league (except WRs get 1 point per reception} and my opponent has ALL the matchups this week (Collins @ KC, LJohnson vs OAK, Kennison vs OAK, CJohnson vs NYG, Evans @ SF) so I need to maximize my lineup this week to have a shot for the title.

Okay after last week's debacle I have to start Brett Favre @ MIN over Griese vs CAR, right.  Never mind that Favre often struggles in domes and very often struggles in the one at Minnesota. 

It seems like I can't make a mistake with my running backs this week.  McGahee is supposed to sit and apparently OSmith has lost his job (glad I resisted the temptation to start him last week).  So I'm "stuck" with Edgerrin James vs SD and Julius Jones vs WAS.  Neither are great matchups ... but at least both are home games.

Now to the tough part.  I really missed the boat on my WRs last week, a by product of having so many good ones to choose from :D  Anyway here's what I got and their Huddle projections in blue

Wide Receivers: Jimmy Smith has scored three times in the last two weeks with about 85 yards in both games. He had 117 yards on nine catches in the first meeting against the Texans. Troy Edwards brief fling with significance started and ended with the Pittsburgh game - he only had 10 yards last week and only 43 yards in the first meeting with Houston.  The rookie Reggie Williams was the ninth pick in the draft, but he looks like a bust so far. Other than his one score and 62 yards against the Bears, Williams has never had more than 42 yards in a game even though he gets up to nine passes per week. 120 yards, 2 TDs

Wide Receivers: Drew Bennett has caught eight touchdowns in the last three weeks - something done only by Jerry Rice in NFL history. Bennett has 517 yards in the last three games and since opponents still think that Derrick Mason is the biggest worry, Bennett is killing the secondary. He's had 17 passes in each of the last two games and had 25 catches total for 393 yards. His explosion is relatively without precedent since he only had nine catches for 118 yards and no scores in the two games previous to this three week bonanza.  Derrick Mason hasn't produced the eye-popping numbers of Bennett, but he's still been solid with 121 yards and a score last week. That would seem great if he was not lining up across from Super-Bennett. 90 yards, 2 TDs

Wide Receivers: Michael Clayton's hot streak earlier this year is still sputtering with only four catches for 53 yards last week and only 15 yards three weeks ago. The problem is less about Clayton, he's just not getting nearly the same amount of passes now that Joey Galloway has been a bigger factor during the last three weeks. Galloway has scored four times in those last three games and accounted for 19 passes and 11 completions by Griese that used to head to Clayton.  Clayton had eight catches for 77 yards the last time against the Panthers while Joey Galloway only managed 34 yards on three catches in the final game before he began to reassume his productive ways this season. 80 yards, 1 TD

Wide Receivers: Anquan Boldin still has not scored this season and after recording a 109 yard effort against the 49ers in week 14, he fell back to only 48 yards on four catches last Sunday. Larry Fitzgerald only had four catches for 37 yards against the Rams but he scored two touchdowns for his first career multi-score game. Fitzgerald had six touchdowns on the season but last week was the first time he had scored in the last month.  Back in week seven against the Seahawks, Boldin was still out and Fitzgerald turned in one of his best games when he had 73 yards and one touchdown. Though he has scored only once this year, Bryant Johnson has been quietly effective for the last couple of games with 77 and 69 yards. With McCown showing more poise, Johnson has been able to be productive in three receiver sets. 70 yards, no TDs

Wide Receivers: The Bills handed Chad Johnson his worst career effort - only ten yards on two catches. Prior to last week's effort in the howling winds, Johnson had scored in the four previous games and not fallen below 80 yards per game. Even T.J. Houshmandzadeh was held in check last week, gaining only 43 yards after two straight weeks of 140+ yard performances.  80 yards, 1 TD

Wide Receivers: Finally, Antwaan Randle El had a big game as an NFL wideout. He gained 149 yards on five receptions last week with one touchdown against the Giants while Hines Ward gained 134 yards on nine catches for his second best effort of the year and only his second time over 100 yards in a game this season. Plaxico Burress was held out last week for the fifth straight game.  Back in week two, Ward did have his best game of the year when he totaled 151 yards and one score on six receptions against the Ravens. It was the final game of Tommy Maddox and until last week, the last time that Ward had a disproportionately higher production than any other wideout. Plaxico Burress only had two catches for 30 yards in that game. 70 yards, 1 TD

Jimmy Smith vs HOU ~ 120 yards, 2 TDs

Derrick Mason vs DEN ~ 90 yards, 2 TDs

Micheal Clayton vs CAR ~ 80 yards, 1 TD

TJ Houshmandzadeh vs NYG ~ 80 yards, 1 TD

Anquan Boldin @ SEA ~ 70 yards, 0 TD

Hines Ward vs BAL ~ 70 yards, 1 TD

Okay even without the help of the projections the no brainers are Jimmy Smith and Derrick Mason (that debacle last week with his "injury" almost killed me).  That leaves me choosing 1 more.

Clayton's numbers have been depressed since Galloway returned and I'm nervous about starting him.

Boldin has what looks like a nice matchup ... but I thought the same last week and he let me down ... AND he has NO TDs on the year.

Ward has been hit or miss since week 10 and has a tough Baltimore defense.  He did okay against BAL earlier in the year, but that was with Maddox at the helm.  He is also coming off a nice week, but that was against the Giants.

I am intrigued by TJ's matchup.  He didn't have a great week last week ... but could rebound this week.  3 out of the last 4 weeks TJ was a monster.  Am I over thinking if I bench Clayton, Boldin and Ward so I can start TJ?

Okay ... last one.  I can bench Edge or Julius and go with a 4th WR.  Is there value in exploring that option?

626612[/snapback]

I'll take this one step at a time:

Yes, Favre over Griese is the way to go. I've watched every Vikes game this year, Favre will be succesful. Moreso than Griese, that's for sure.

I actually like both Edge and JJ. Dallas - Washington will be close, which means JJ will get a lot of touches, probably 30. Granted, it's a tough matchup, but 30 touches will lead to production imo.

Jimmy Smith is a must start against the Texans. He's hot, was good in the last meeting, and the matchup is great.

I happen to like Mason this week. Bailey will get Bennett, the Titans are pass happy with Volek, and I think Mason will benefit on both accounts. I haven't read the rest of your options yet, but I would probably start him unless you have another excellent option.

I like Clayton. He's been a bit quiet, but should regain his consistent form this week. I don't like him more than Mason or Smith.

Without a TD yet Boldin has to ride pine with the other options you have. I know he was busy last week, but he's way to risky a start when you have options like Mason and Smith.

Forget TJ. He could go for 150 and a TD, but he could just as easily go for 40 and 0 TD's.

Ward has a pretty tough matchup. If Manning and company only mustered 1 passing TD last week, I don't see much value in starting Ward this week.

So you need one more. I think Clayton would be my man here. He is the primary target and should once again find his grove against the Panthers this week.

No way I bench Edge or Jones for another of your WR options. They are just too inconsitent to be considered imo.

Hope that helps and good luck. :D

Oh great master...

I have these choices for WR & TE

Ward @ Baltimore

J. Smith @ Houston (Given)

Santana vs. NE

Rice vs AZ

Gariel @ KC

TE:

Shockey @ CIN

McMichael vs CLE

Haven't let me down yet...let's give it one more shot!  Thanks and Happy Holidays!

626617[/snapback]

Gotta go Ward and Smith here. The others are too risky.

Shockey.

Hugh,

Thanks for the insight! I need some help with 2 starting spots, QB and "D".

Collins at KC

or

Hasselback at home vs ARI

Scoring for QB:

1 pt for every 25 yrds

1 pt for every 10 yards rush

4 pts for Thrown TD (-2 for INT)

Pit at home vs Bal

or

CAR at TB

Scoring for D:

Blocked Field Goals 2 points

Blocked Punts 2 points

Fumble Recovered 2 points

D TD 6 points

Int 2 points

Points Against, Total Points Scored

0 - 0 PAs = 15 points

1 - 6 PA = 10 points

7 - 13 PA = 6 points

14 - 20 PA = 4 points

21 - 27 PA = 2 points

SACK - Sack 1 point

STY - Safety 2 points

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

standard scoring

need two rb's

C. Martin vs. NE

M. Pittman vs. Car.

K. Jones vs. Chi.

J. Jones vs. Was.

I'm thinking Martin @ Home and K. Jones vs Chi - Urlacher.

Need one D

Det. vs. Chi.

Wash. vs. Dal.

Miami vs. Clev.

Torn here but thinking Wash.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

hey there hugh...happy holidays :D

which QB do i play this week:

brees @ IND

or

volek vs DEN

brees has a great matchup, and it could be a shootout...but Indy's DEF is improving (held 7 of last 8 QBs to 215yds or less and 1TD or less)...so even with the nice matchup i'm only expecting like 250 and 1-2TDs...

volek is up against a tougher DEF, but can i really ignore how hot he's been?? I'd think he'd be safe for 3TDs don't you?

and now my RBs... :D

....need 3 (scoring in sig)

pittman vs CAR

green @ DET

edge vs SD

s. morris vs CLE

s. williams @ SF (mcgahee owner :D )

t. bell @ IND

as you can see...not the best options this week. basically, pittman and green are in...but should i give edge the nod here too? i'm a little leary going up against that SD run DEF...would morris or shaud williams be better options do you think?

OR...since it is a flex spot, I could play a guy like eric parker instead of any of those guys.

thanks in advance for any insight you can share...and have a merry christmas/happy chanukkah, etc... B)

Hello Mr. Hugh. I know new guy, please go easy. Two questions for you:

First, request your opinion on which QB to play:

Volek vs. Den

Hass vs. Ari

Second, which two WRs would you play?

Moulds @ SF

Mason vs. Den

DJax vs. Ari

14 team performance scoring league, 1 pt per 25 pass yds, 1 pt per 10 rec yds, 6 pts per TD, -2 pts for Ints, Fumbles lost.

Thanks

Hey Hugh! I made it to the Superbowl! Thanks for the great advice all year!

Performance league

1 pt. per catch all positions

1pt per 10 yds. rushing and recieving

1pt. per 25 yds. passing

All TDs are 6 pts.

-2 pts for picks and fumbles

We start 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, TE, K, Def

Brett Favre @ Minn or K. Collins @ KC?

Also pick 2 of these 3 RBs:

L. Johnson vs Oak

D. Davis @ Jax

K. Jones vs Chic

Thanks for all you do!! This Bud's for you. ;>)

Hi Hugh,

Long Time Reader first Time posting.

Here my dilemma's for the Big Game:

RB: Pick 2

Mcallister vs ATL

Taylor vs. Hou

Pittman vs CAR

WR: Pick 3

Harrison vs SD

Porter vs. KC

R Smith vs TEnn

D Mason vs DEN

Def: Pick 1

Mia vs Cle

TB vs CAr

Leaning towards Taylor, Pittman, Harrison, Smith& Mason. Porter is attractive option as is Deuce.

Standard Scoring League $1100 first prize.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Hi Hugh. Nice to be chatting once again. Goin to the big show! Please take a look at my lineup. My RBs are both playing tough away games this week, but I don't have much altenative. If you have any suggestions I would apreciate it. Thanks for your insight this season.

Farve@Min - DD@Jax - Goings@TB - RMoss - Walker- JHorn@No vs Atl - Stover

My opponent has TGreen/CuMar/R Johnson/CJohnson/DMason/JGalloway.

Happy holidays and have a prosperous 2005. :D

Edited by 1badfish

Hi Hugh..

Another defense question..

Carolina@Tampa or Chicago@ Detroit?

2 pts for INTs, recovered fumbles, safeties and blocked kicks; 6 for TDs; 5 pts for a shutout and 0 pts for 21+ given up(typical is 14-20 pts which gains 1 pt)

Also, WDIS at QB? The mirage that is Brooks vs a non-motivated Falcons team, or a hot Palmer vs the Giants(assuming he's at 80 to 100%)? 20 yds passing = 1 pt. 6 pts for rushing and passing TDs; 0.1 pt per yard rushing. Brooks does tend to run one in every 3rd or 4th game.

Big Hugh! Hey I need some lineup help this weekend. I snuck into the Championship Game but lost McGahee for this weekends game against SF. Heres what I got so far... Manning, LT, Pittman, J. Walker, Kaeding, & Ravens D. So I need one more flex player and a TE. Here are my options...

Flex

Emmitt Smith @ Sea (Had a great game against Sea last meeting (Over 100 yards, 1td))

Sammy Morris vs. Cle (Looked pretty good Monday Night and scored 2x)

Shaud Williams @ SF (Easy D, No RB to take carries away)

Andre Johnson @ Jax (No Comment)

Ashley Lelie @ Ten (Ten D...ugh!)

Dorsey Levens @ StL (Westbrook could sit)

TE

Jermaine Wiggins vs. GB (not scored since return of Randy)

LJ Smith @ StL (Scored 2 out of last 3 games and somebody has to catch balls with loss of TO)

Ben Troupe vs. Den (Volek has found him lately)

Performance Scoring, 1 PT every 10 yards rush/rec, 6 pts for rush/rec tds

Thanks Hugh, if you make the right picks I will OWE YOU MAN! If you make the wrong ones, well, lets just hope you make the right ones! :D

Edited by Primetime9287

Boys and girls, I'm back by popular demand. At least that's what I tell myself. :D

You know the drill. Ask your questions, please post any and all pertinent information I may need to help make my decision easier, like scoring type, matchups, roster requirements etc.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO PICK YOUR ENTIRE LINEUP!!!!

Fire away. B)

Oh, and sorry that I didn't get to a lot of questions last week, I had a busy work week and just couldn't find the time. I'm off on Friday this week, but between this afternoon and tomorrow I should be able to get to a lot of your questions. :D

626393[/snapback]

Hugh the Guru,

Somehow how I ended up in my leagues's FFL super bowl, go figure. Never would have guessed it with the teams/roster I had to field each week. Thanks again for your wisdom this season, it is much appreciated. So going into this final game, I'm figuring on starting: Bulger, DD, JJ, Horn, Ward, DJax, Gates, Longwell, AZ defense. Please poke holes where you think I'm wrong at starting (need 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1D,1K). My biggest dilemmas at this point at to sit Jamal vs. tough PIT def and keep riding JJ (but he also has a tough matchup with WAS). DD as well with JAX, but I just can't bring myself to sit this guy since he's the focal point of HOU offense. Also, starting Ward over Boldin simply because figure that B-more should stuff the run and PIT will have to throw a lot of short 8-10 yd passes which Ward fiests on. Thanks Hugh! :D

Bulger, Marc STL QB

Rattay, Tim SFO QB

Davis, Domanick HOU

Green, William CLE

Jackson, Steven STL

Jones, Julius DAL

Taylor, Chester BAL

Boldin, Anquan ARI

Horn, Joe NOS

Jackson, Darrell SEA

Johnson, Keyshawn DAL

Ward, Hines PIT

Clark, Dallas IND

Gates, Antonio SDC

Longwell, Ryan GBP

Cardinals, Arizona ARI

Lewis, Jamal BAL

I'm in a performance league and we can start 2rbs/2wrs or 1rb/3wrs. Who would you start from the following players ???

Rbs

O.Smith vs GB

M.Bennett vs GB

R.Droughns vs Tenn

Wrs

R.Moss Vs GB

M.Muhammad Vs TB

C.Chambers Vs Cle

Both Bennett and Droughns were named the starters for this week, but i'm leary on how many touches they will get....As of now i'm leaning towards Moss,Muhammad,Chambers and Bennet..........

THANKS........

Playing for the Super Bowl and need help at RB, WR, and Def.

RB (pick 3)

LJ vs Oak

Edge vs SD

McAllister vs Atl

JJ vs Wash

LJ is in and leaning towards Edge (too consistent) and McAllister. I think he will get more TD opportunities than JJ.

WR (pick 2)

Walker vs Minn

Muhammed vs TB

Andre vs Jax

Really a no brainer...But am considering picking up Kennison off the waiver wire and benching Muhammed. Kennison had a great game last time against Oakland (150 yds and TD) while Muhammed didn't do too well against TB (approx 50 yds).

Def

Pitt vs Balt

Buffalo vs SF

Going with Buffalo, but wanted to make sure it was the right decision.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Hey Hugh One,

I made it into the SB :D

The question on many peoples minds...

Brees at INDY

Volek vs. DEN

Here's another choose two ...

Portis at DAL

Goings at TB

Barber at CIN

I had a thought of starting Shaud Williams then stepped away from the mouse.

:D

Thanks for your time Bro!

Thanks in advance, Hugh!

WR (pick 2)

Evans v. Cin

Ward v. Balt

Mason v. Den

Clayton v. Car

and Def:

Atlanta v. New Orleans or

Detroit v. Chicago

Thanks Hugh!

626622[/snapback]

Mason is a must start imo.

Then it's a toss up. I'd probably play the matchup and play the hot hand Evans against a weak SF pass defense.