[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commited by mssaint

Menudo

"Mark wrote the best-selling novels The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, which have sold more than ten million copies worldwide. Um...true."

:D

Breaking Hollywood News: Ron Howard signs on to direct the film version of "Committed". While the lead role has not yet been cast. Rumors are rampant that both Snoop Dog and Jack Black are attempting to be the first to clear their respective schedules in the coming months for what has been called “A project of  fanatical and unswerving proportions, a faithful introspective into the mindset of the devoted”.  However, there is no truth  to the whispers that Ben Stiller may have the inside track “Dodgeball: A True underdog Story was my Superbowl. I have been working on twenty-three other projects and  just cannot commit to any others at this time, although I am flattered to be mentioned.” :D

Well done Mark!

634530[/snapback]

Quitting a job to play fantasy football? Gotta be Jack Black.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quitting a job to play fantasy football? Gotta be Jack Black.

634674[/snapback]

I'm 5' 8 1/2", white and can't rap....which means Hollywood, in their infinite widsom, will definitely cast Snoop. :D

How did you get it published?  Care to offer any suggestions for future writers?

633380[/snapback]

OK, here's some more stuff in case there's any more curiosity about the publishing process & my experience with it...First, you gotta write, write, write...and then write some more. Doesn't have to be a set schedule, but lots of people try to nail down a chunk of time each day where they write, whether it's a page or twenty. I was almost finished with the manuscript by the itme I started tracking down an agent. And re: agents...

To get your manuscript in front of any reputable publisher/into the hands of the right acquisitions editors, you'll need a literary agent. And there are literally thousands and thousands. Misconception 1: an agent has to be in NYC. Wrong. They can be anywhere, long as they're reputable and have sold stuff in the past. Great agents are in SF, Chicago, Goat-f*ck, Mississippi, wherever. Misconception 2: getting an agent is simply a matter of looking in the Yellow Pages under "A." It ain't...it's possibly the hardest part of the process, along with writing the book, of course.

But before targeting agents, get those first couple chapters fine-tuned, because an agent, when you query him/her, if, IF (and it's a big if) they're intrigued by your query (pitch) via email or snail mail, they'll then ask to see the first few chapters, first 50 pages, whatever. I had agents turn me down because they didn't "fall in love w/ my opening" so first impressions count with these people. To start tracking down an agent, there are a couple of good books:

Agents, Editors and You: An Insider's Guide to Getting Published. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Jeff Herman's Guide to Literary Agents. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Herman's is a little pricey ($25ish, I think?) but worth it, as it outlines agents by category, what they're looking for, how to contact them, whether they accept email and/or snail mail submissions, who else they represent. It also outlines their EXACT sumbission guidelines, etc. (important: agents will ignore even the best-written stuff if it doesn't follow their submission guidelines; very anal people). Also, sounds simplistic, but you can also just Google "literary agents fiction action adventure suspense" or whatever category you think your writing falls under and you'd be surprised how many come up. That said, there are a LOT of scam artists out there, so be careful; if an agent asks for even one cent up front as a fee for reading, editing, whatever, run the other way, fast, screaming. A reputable agent (typically a member of the AAR, Association of Artists' Representatives or something) will only take his/her fee AFTER he/she has sold your peoject and you've been paid for your work. A couple great sites to look up agents' track records, get general info and see if they've ever been "busted" or suspected of scamming:

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/

http://www.everyonewhosanyone.com

http://www.writers.net

Writers.net has great forums –- it's sort of the writing = of the Huddle -– where you can share info about agents, get opinions on your query letter, talk publishing in general, etc. RE: query letters, again, just Google "literary agent query letter" and you'll get some good examples of how they usually sound, what kind of info you need in them, etc, but queries are usually a brief (but compelling) description of the book, why it's different from others in its genre, what your writing history is. Agents are extremely busy, and often don't even respond or, if they do, it can be with a terse "No thanks" and that's it. It's as hard if not harder/more frustrating to get a good agent than a publisher, so you gotta just keep at it even if you get rejected. e.g. I wrote another book (travel humor) that no agent would touch with a ten-foot pole (not patting self on back, but I still think it was as funny/well-written as COMMITTED), and I got rejection after rejection FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS...but then I hit the right idea/timing with the FF book and I actually had to CHOOSE between agents, and later, between publishers, so it CAN happen...just keep at it and know it's not personal to these people. But you have to have a thick skin.

Bottom line, I just kept at it until I had the right combination of a timely, marketable idea with the writing style an agent/publisher was looking for. If anyone has any other specific ?'s feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer fairly promptly...after all, I sought advice left and right when I was going through it, so it's only right that I offer up whatever experiences I've had so far to help someone else out.

And go Pats! (I had to bring it back to football so Big John didn't move this into the Tailgate, right? :D )

OK, here's some more stuff in case there's any more curiosity about the publishing process & my experience with it...First, you gotta write, write, write...and then write some more. Doesn't have to be a set schedule, but lots of people try to nail down a chunk of time each day where they write, whether it's a page or twenty. I was almost finished with the manuscript by the itme I started tracking down an agent. And re: agents...

To get your manuscript in front of any reputable publisher/into the hands of the right acquisitions editors, you'll need a literary agent. And there are literally thousands and thousands. Misconception 1: an agent has to be in NYC. Wrong. They can be anywhere, long as they're reputable and have sold stuff in the past. Great agents are in SF, Chicago, Goat-f*ck, Mississippi, wherever. Misconception 2: getting an agent is simply a matter of looking in the Yellow Pages under "A." It ain't...it's possibly the hardest part of the process, along with writing the book, of course.

But before targeting agents, get those first couple chapters fine-tuned, because an agent, when you query him/her, if, IF (and it's a big if) they're intrigued by your query (pitch) via email or snail mail, they'll then ask to see the first few chapters, first 50 pages, whatever. I had agents turn me down because they didn't "fall in love w/ my opening" so first impressions count with these people. To start tracking down an agent, there are a couple of good books:

Agents, Editors and You: An Insider's Guide to Getting Published. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Jeff Herman's Guide to Literary Agents. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Herman's is a little pricey ($25ish, I think?) but worth it, as it outlines agents by category, what they're looking for, how to contact them, whether they accept email and/or snail mail submissions, who else they represent. It also outlines their EXACT sumbission guidelines, etc. (important: agents will ignore even the best-written stuff if it doesn't follow their submission guidelines; very anal people). Also, sounds simplistic, but you can also just Google "literary agents fiction action adventure suspense" or whatever category you think your writing falls under and you'd be surprised how many come up. That said, there are a LOT of scam artists out there, so be careful; if an agent asks for even one cent up front as a fee for reading, editing, whatever, run the other way, fast, screaming. A reputable agent (typically a member of the AAR, Association of Artists' Representatives or something) will only take his/her fee AFTER he/she has sold your peoject and you've been paid for your work. A couple great sites to look up agents' track records, get general info and see if they've ever been "busted" or suspected of scamming:

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/

http://www.everyonewhosanyone.com

http://www.writers.net

Writers.net has great forums –- it's sort of the writing = of the Huddle -– where you can share info about agents, get opinions on your query letter, talk publishing in general, etc. RE: query letters, again, just Google "literary agent query letter" and you'll get some good examples of how they usually sound, what kind of info you need in them, etc, but queries are usually a brief (but compelling) description of the book, why it's different from others in its genre, what your writing history is. Agents are extremely busy, and often don't even respond or, if they do, it can be with a terse "No thanks" and that's it. It's as hard if not harder/more frustrating to get a good agent than a publisher, so you gotta just keep at it even if you get rejected. e.g. I wrote another book (travel humor) that no agent would touch with a ten-foot pole (not patting self on back, but I still think it was as funny/well-written as COMMITTED), and I got rejection after rejection FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS...but then I hit the right idea/timing with the FF book and I actually had to CHOOSE between agents, and later, between publishers, so it CAN happen...just keep at it and know it's not personal to these people. But you have to have a thick skin.

Bottom line, I just kept at it until I had the right combination of a timely, marketable idea with the writing style an agent/publisher was looking for. If anyone has any other specific ?'s feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer fairly promptly...after all, I sought advice left and right when I was going through it, so it's only right that I offer up whatever experiences I've had so far to help someone else out.

And go Pats! (I had to bring it back to football so Big John didn't move this into the Tailgate, right? :D )

635703[/snapback]

Thanks Saint. Surprisingly thorough and informative for a message board!

Appreciate you taking the time.

I guess all that's left now is to decide who will play you in the movie version... :D

635775[/snapback]

We've already decided that...Snoop Dog. Or Nicolette Sheridan. :eek:

I got the book as a gift for XMAS after telling my wife the story about the book after the Cold Pizza episode(I rarely watch this show just happened to catch that part of it). Haven't cracked it open yet, but I know once I do i won't be able to put it down and haven't had the time just yet. So why is it that there is only one or two copies on the shelf in stores Msaint? My wife said it was the only one in B&N.

Have you tried to get it as an "Oprah's Book Selection"?

Send her a copy

635801[/snapback]

Unfortunately, jackshi, that's like being a struggling physicist at a community college and someone asking, "Have you tried winning a Nobel Prize for Physics? That'd really help your career, I think." Her Book Club is simply the forbidden city. Not a chance. B)

Not sure why there are so few copies left in some stores...either it means they've sold out most, or only ordered a couple to begin with. It's different at every B&N/Borders, etc. Some stores ordered 50, others ordered 2. :D

And Rez :D yup, I'm exactly 5' 8 1/2"...maybe you're 7'4"?

If you are having a hard time finding the book I would suggest Amazon.com. I ordered my copy on Tuesday, had it shipped 2nd day air, and it was delivered yesterday! Total price was under $26. Can't wait to dig in and start reading. I ordered a copy for a couple of friends and they also got theirs yesterday.

It's pretty cool when I talk to people about this book. The conversation goes something like this:

" You really ought to read this book about fantasy football. It's called Committed and its hilarious. I know the author. Well, I don't really know him, but I know of him. Yeah, I met him on a message board. On the internet. Yeah, one of my internet buddies. No, not that kind of buddy. From a fantasy football website. Yeah, I know he's not really my friend, but I replied to one of his posts and he replied to one of mine, so I would say we are friends. Oh, nevermind, just buy the dam book."

It's pretty cool when I talk to people about this book. The conversation goes something like this:

" You really ought to read this book about fantasy football. It's called Committed and its hilarious. I know the author. Well, I don't really know him, but I know of him. Yeah, I met him on a message board. On the internet. Yeah, one of my internet buddies. No, not that kind of buddy. From a fantasy football website. Yeah, I know he's not really my friend, but I replied to one of his posts and he replied to one of mine, so I would say we are friends. Oh, nevermind, just buy the dam book."

636125[/snapback]

:D I seem to have that type of conversation more often than I like. It makes me feel like a moran saying "this guy I know online."

I picked up the book a couple of weeks ago. I only just started reading it though with the business of Christmas Holidays. So far it's an outstanding work & has hit my fantasy addiction right on the mark with nearly every line. But unlike some of you others I'm not letting my wife read this one, it'd only add fuel to the already raging inferno that the fantasy season brings. :D

Bought the book directly from Mark at WCOFF draft (f'n WCOFF...stupid Julius Jones....ok, stop ranting). Read it in about 3 days - anyone that has ever played FF will have a hard time putting it down, especially if you are a huddler as many are profiled or mentioned.

I really enjoyed the following of several different leagues, as many of us, including me, are in 3 or 4 that have completely different memberships and backgrounds. It's intriguing how they all are different, yet coincide in terms of players and roles.

Highest recommendation for it. Humorous style (Bill Simmons is similar) that will serve well in future endearvors. Maybe my autographed copy will be worth millions someday...

636125[/snapback]

:D Too true....my league-mates have abused me re: my "imaginary fantasy forum buddies" for years now. And Mrs. Saint still doesn't quite get it (but it's better than chatting with 12-year-old girls, I always tell her). But one of those formerly taunting league-mates (Brady12) finally broke down and joined this year, and he's seeeeeen the light! Hallejulah!! Praise DMD & WW!! :D Although I can't say I like having him here – yes, you heard me, Brady – it used to be my little secret.

Edited by msaint

• 5 months later...

Saved it for the summer, to help bridge the gap. Just finished it. My only criticism, is that Bronco Billy-Sgt. Ryan should've been one of the great rivalries. So what, if only half your readers would have known what you were talking about.

Nice job & thanx & :D

Great to hear. Thanks for giving yet another official Huddler endorsement it & hope you enjoy it. :D

633339[/snapback]

As an avid reader and writer (comes with the job) I must say that was my favorite summer read to date. Great anecdotes about the"life" of a FFer. Excellent book, my friend.

Coincidentally, I am working on the next great American Haiku. :doah: