[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Recent rental movies

Thews40

Napoleon Dynamite – My 17 year old son loved this movie. If it wasn’t for him, I would have turned it off in the first 15 minutes. I watched it all the way though, and the dance scene at the end was worth waiting for. Jury is still out… I didn’t love it but I didn’t hate it too much.

Hero – I bought this and haven’t watched it yet. What did you think?

Kill Bill I and II – I loved both of them. A lot of people were turned off by I, and found it “too violent.” Ironically, they usually like Pulp Fiction which was brutal in comparison.

Second hand lions – This is a feel good movie and I liked it very much. Watch it with or without your kids.

Shrek II – Not as good as Shrek I, but ok.

Collateral – It’s a movie. If you are one to keep thinking “That would never happen in real life” then you won’t like it, but take it for what it’s worth and it’s pretty good.

Hellboy – It was ok. I knew the fish guy was Frazier’s brother immediately.

Scary movie III – See scary I and II?… same thing only a little more mainstream.

Van Helsing – Stupid story line, cheesy graphics… just what you expected.

Spiderman II - Same as Spiderman I... sucked.

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - Different... I liked it. The intellects should like this one.

Haven't seen Terminal and a bunch of other recent releases. Let me know what you think is worth $4 to rent.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rented Chronicles of Riddick. Very entertaining. Better than I thought it would be. The sequel to Pitch Black, which I never saw and didn't know about til recently.

Wife rented The Princess Diaries 2. No comment, except that Anne Hathaway is a hottie....

Hero - Saw it in the theater and I didn't really care for it actually. Maybe I expected a different kind of movie since Tarantino's name was associated with it. Friends of mine loved it.

The wife and I rented Anchorman last night,

It Was AWFUL!

Are you not a fan of Will Ferrell in general? Just asking because I thought Anchorman was pretty funny, but I'm a fan of Will Ferrell's humor.

Recommendations:

DO NOT rent Envy (Stiller and Jack Black). While I'm normally a fan of Stiller movies, this one stunk.

Starsky and Hutch was Ok. I'm a little young to remember the TV show, but I found it entertaining anyway. I've been told that if you were a fan of the TV show growing up it adds a little to the fun quotient.

The Girl Next Door was pretty good if you don't mind teen comedies. Elisha Cuthbert alone might make this one rentable.

I really liked Saved!. Many thought it was a comedy attacking the church, but it really attacks the hipocrasy of the overzealous. McCauley Culkin actually does a pretty good job as the wheelchair-bound brother.

The Cooler was good. Not really a gambling movie in the vein of Rounders. More of a love story. Still good though.

Rent Thirteen if you don't mind movies that are a little disturbing. It will scare the crap out of any prospective parents out there.

Owning Mahowny is a movie about gambling addiction. Based on the true story of a bank manager who embezzled millions of dollars to support his gambling habit. Stars Philip Seymour Hoffman and I definitely recommend it.

Edited by A Little Bit Special

Are you not a fan of Will Ferrell in general?  Just asking because I thought Anchorman was pretty funny, but I'm a fan of Will Ferrell's humor.

Actually, I am. I thought elf was very funny. The humor in anchorman was just obvious, base level stuff. If Will Ferrell hadn't been in it, I would have turned it off after 5 minutes.

The scene with Christina Applegate wearing nothing but an apron was very nice however.

I loved Napolean Dynamite- check your brain at the door and just enjoy 90 minutes of some pretty *** good comedy. Also a pretty original movie- I can't think of anything else that is like this one, so if you are tired of the same old plot lines and gags give this a try. Napolean, Kip & Uncle Rico are funny to just look at.

Napoleon Dynamite – kicks ass. Hilarious.

Hero – Cool to look at and starts off pretty good but lost intrest in the story

Kill Bill I and II – Good stuff. Enjoyed them alot.

Second hand lions – meh.

Shrek II – enjoyed it. loved the cops scene

Collateral – Not bad.

Hellboy – Doesn't compare to the comic but Ron Perlman was perfectly cast as Hellboy. Wanted more from it though.

Scary movie III – I hate these movies and didn't bother seeing it.

Van Helsing – Crap. May cause eye cancer.

Spiderman II - Good flick.

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind - Like most Kauffman flicks for the first 15 minutes I'm wondering *** is going on, however, once I got past that I ended up really liking it. In fact, I think it's the best movie I saw in 2004.

Recently saw Spanglish in theatres and have to say I didn't care for it much, but that Paz Vega is fricking hot.

Also saw Lemony Snickett which has an awesome look/art direction from the sets to the costumes. Plus, I'll probably buy it alone for the closing credits. The story is okay. I thought it was better than the first Harry Potter flick(the only one I've seen to compare it to).

That's because NSab is an old fart- you didn't find it even mildly amusing?

634745[/snapback]

I'll try to watch some more tonight, I tried yesterday but didn't like, neither did your nephew and niece.

Actually, I am.  I thought elf was very funny.  The humor in anchorman was just obvious, base level stuff.  If Will Ferrell hadn't been in it, I would have turned it off after 5 minutes.

The scene with Christina Applegate wearing nothing but an apron was very nice however.

634739[/snapback]

I enjoyed this movie. The news anchor rumble was hilarious.

I really liked Saved!.  Many thought it was a comedy attacking the church, but it really attacks the hipocrasy of the overzealous.  McCauley Culkin actually does a pretty good job as the wheelchair-bound brother.

The Cooler was good.  Not really a gambling movie in the vein of Rounders.  More of a love story.  Still good though.

634728[/snapback]

Liked both of these flicks :D

Has anyone seen Harold and Kumar got to White Castle? Couldn't bring myself to seeing it in theatres probably will rent it soon though.

Plan to see Life Aquatic soon too.

634758[/snapback]

Harold and Kumar hasn't been released on DVD yet (releases Jan. 4), but I've heard it is funny. I've added it to my Netflix queue.

Wife and I watched Dodgeball last week. It was amusing if you like that sort of thing.

Last night she brought home Garden State with Natalie Portman. Natalie is a cutie and this movie was kind of goofy, reminding me of Benny & Joon at points.

Watched Dodgeball last night--ehh, it had its moments but wasnt great. Watching Collateral today. Saved and Cooler are excellent. Saw Thirteen and it was disturbingly good. Sad that Anchorman is getting panned.

Of course, my wife rented Wimbledon so I have some naptime coming.

Has anyone seen Harold and Kumar go to White Castle? Couldn't bring myself to see it in theatres, probably will rent it soon though.

634758[/snapback]

It's pretty funny. It's another road trip movie.

I really liked Saved!. Many thought it was a comedy attacking the church, but it really attacks the hipocrasy of the overzealous. McCauley Culkin actually does a pretty good job as the wheelchair-bound brother.

That movie was hilarious. I liked how Mandy Moore's character's hipocracy shined.

Watched a double feature last night. :D

A Day Without A Mexican is a 90 minute commercial for Mexican immigration. I thought it might be funny but it's terrible. I expected a quiz at the end. :D

On the other hand, watching Dennis Quaid kick the Mexicans ass in The Alamo was lots of fun. :D

Not recent, but I watched Band of Brothers again in a mini movie marathon over the weekend. I'll never biatch about my problems again. B)