[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Recent rental movies

Thews40

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bourne Supremacy - okay but not great. Probably not even okay if you did not see The Bourne Identity.

Dodgeball - pretty bad but still had plenty of things to make you laugh. You really shouldn't have any expectations for some great movie of the year when you rent a movie like this as it is really just a stupid movie to get a few laughs and that is what it does.

I, Robot - haven't seen it but have it at the house right now.

Collateral - I agree with the original review in post number one. Too many "that couldn't happen" moments in this kind of movie for me. I didn't care for it at all.

Princess Diaries 2 - watched it with my little girls and didn't hate it at all. Not as good as the the first one, (did I just say that?), but if you have kids that like these sort of flicks then it is a decent family watch.

The Manchurian Candidate - I didn't see the original and really didn't even know the story line so the remake didn't have to overcome that. I enjoyed it enough that I would recomend it but not enough to list it as a "you have got to see it" movie.

Napoleon Dynamite - I didn't see it yet but my 16 and 14 year-olds thought it was very funny at the movies and told me to pick it up at the video store. I will give it a try very soon.

Shrek 2 - certainly not as good as Shrek but still very good. I can't picture anyone that has kids and sees movies not seeing this one.

The Stepford Wives - Not for me at all.

Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban - I am a Harry Potter fan so I liked the movie but I could easily see how those that aren't HP fans would end up not liking this movie.

The Terminal - Sucked! Worst Tom Hanks movie that I can think of.

Spiderman 2 - So so. Too much of a love story for me.

BTW - I don't see any review for Open Water?

Napoleon Dynamite tried it,  :D

634740[/snapback]

I loved Napolean Dynamite- check your brain at the door and just enjoy 90 minutes of some pretty *** good comedy. Also a pretty original movie- I can't think of anything else that is like this one, so if you are tired of the same old plot lines and gags give this a try. Napolean, Kip & Uncle Rico are funny to just look at.

634743[/snapback]

Tried but it still pretty much sucked. It did make me laugh a few times and I do agree that Nappy, Kip, and Rico were perfect funny characters for this movie but try as I did, I just couldn't get into it.

Open Water and Napoleon Dynamite = back to back stinkers but Open Water was by far the worst of the two. That is 3 and 1/2 hours of my life just wasted. :D

I think Collateral is the worst movie I've seen in years. There's "that couldn't happen", but what's worse is "how did that happen?", "huh?", "how'd he get there?", and the final blow - Jada Pinket Smith - who may be the worst, full-of-herself, B-level actress of all time.

There's aren't enough :D for that miserable tripe.

Recently saw Spanglish in theatres and have to say I didn't care for it much, but that Paz Vega is fricking hot.

634746[/snapback]

Paz was in a movie last night I watched on Sundance...something called "Two Sides of the Bed" or something like that. Nice rack, too. :D

Just saw the Borne Supremacy. It was ok if you can get past the cinematography. The action scenes were choppy to the point you didn’t know who was ass was being kicked. Seriously, this was the hardest movie to watch I’ve ever seen at times, but it usually didn't last long. But, you know there will be a third and I really liked the first one, so if you plan on seeing all three you have to stomach this one. The plot was a C at best, but I’m a sucker for an action movie. Better than watching Wimbledon any day. How was Wimbledon skins?

Another DO NOT RENT: The Clearing starring Robert Redford and William DeFoe :D

Guest THEbigred

Not sure if this "counts" since I saw it for free on HBO, but Terminator 3 sucked. Pathetically unoriginal, predictable, and just generally lame. If all you care about is see stuff get smashed around this is for you...if you're interested in an actual movie, don't bother.

I’m a sucker for an action movie. Better than watching Wimbledon any day. How was Wimbledon skins?

637109[/snapback]

That is because you do not have a tender sensitive inner life like I do, Thews.

Wimbledon was ok for a chick flick. It had its funny moments and I am constantly and pleasantly surprised with the heft and bounce of Kirsten Dunst's jumblies.

Rented Chronicles of Riddick. Very entertaining. Better than I thought it would be. The sequel to Pitch Black, which I never saw and didn't know about til recently.

634704[/snapback]

We have the Chronicles of Riddick and my wife says we have seen Pitch Black, but I sure don't remember it. Going to go rent Pitch Black today and watch them back to back.

I really liked Saved!.  Many thought it was a comedy attacking the church, but it really attacks the hipocrasy of the overzealous.  McCauley Culkin actually does a pretty good job as the wheelchair-bound brother.

634728[/snapback]

Good call on Saved.

"She's planting a pipe bomb?" :D

Is there any review on Code 46 or Blessed?

How about some of the upcoming new releases like; Troy, Paparazzi, The Forgotten, Cellular, or Mean Creek? Do any of these get a strong recomendation one way or the other?

We saw The Village which comes out 1/11/2005. I'd say it is worth a rental for sure but don't get all hyped up for it as it is not the scary movie that they made it out to be when it was at the movies. It was clever enough with a few twists so like I said it is worth a rent but you don't have to go crazy fighting over the last copy.

Kill Bill I and II – I loved both of them. A lot of people were turned off by I, and found it “too violent.” Ironically, they usually like Pulp Fiction which was brutal in comparison.

634647[/snapback]

I think the point is missed that Tarantino is spoofing the old kung fu theatre movies with all of the blood and overacting during fight scenes/deaths, etc. It is even more evident in Kill Bill II with kung fu master Pad Mei (sp?).

Man on Fire is a must see.

I'll defer to the other Huddlers on other suggestions as I'm a little out of the rental loop!

Been out for a while, but I watched Master and Commander one night last week. Great movie in HD / Surround Sound. One of the cannon shots caused ornaments to collapse in the display cabinet upstairs. Had to turn it down a tad..... :D

Let's see what Netflix says I've been watching lately:

Anchorman: Will Ferrell's Billy Madison. If you like Billy Madison, you'll probably like anchorman. Lots of one liners.

Apocalypse Now Redux: Long, interesting, and disturbing. Perfect for 2am feedings.

Napoleon Dynamite: Loved it. It's very quirky. No real plot. Just a goofy comedy.

Collateral: If you like scenes with people riding around in a cab, rent this. If not, skip it.

Requiem for a Dream: Very disturbing look at young folks hooked on heroin and the havoc it causes. Terrific acting and plot. Where else will you see Jennifer Connelly go at it with another chick and feel guilty for liking it a little bit?

Man of Fire: Much better than I thought it would be. Don't piss off Denzel.

Swimming Pool: Blech. Tried too hard at times. Very forced acting. It seems destined for late-night Skinemax.

Heat: Still holds up very, very well. Great action, plot, and acting.

Plains, Trains, and Automobiles: John Candy at his best. Very funny.

I saw Garden State in the theater and loved it. I'm waiting to see it again. I also saw Harold and Kumar. I thought it was pretty funny. Leave your brain at the door. That's on the list too. After that is Primal Fear. I remember liking it, but it's been awhile. Then it's way too many movies.