[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Zimmer next Nebraska coach?

Kansas State 2000

It's about Fkn time. Is there anybody left who still thinks that outdated option offense can win championships outside of the high school level? They have good atheletes----now they just need to put in a pro-style offense, recruit a real quarterback, switch Lord to tailback, and they'll be set. Anybody know of a good coach for hire? loco

Yeah, 9-3 record isn't good enough when the whole Big12 is now playing "Keep up with the Stoops", So they need someone with a knack for installing a great offense and mentoring young, talented QBs. Hmmmm....

Don't even THINK about our Norm Chow! He likes the beach and nice weather out here....

Besides, isn't there at least another couple of Stoops brothers looking for a HC gig??

I'm utterly indifferent toward who Nebraska chooses as its next football coach, although as an outsider I will say this: of the names mentioned above, none seem like a very good fit.

As I understand, Turner Gill is a pretty good position coach, but would it work out well to have his first head coaching experience be such a high-profile one?

And what kind of resume does Bo Pelini bring to the table? He's been at Nebraska for less than a year, and prior to that has almost exclusively NFL experience, IIRC.

Kiffin and Saunders are longtime NFL assistants right? Are either of them familiar enough with the ins and outs of the college game to be equipped to handle the Nebraska job?

To me anyway, those guys all seem doomed to anywhere from Solichesque mediocrity to utter failure.

What Nebraska needs is a big-name college guy, with HC experience, well-established recruiting connections, and, ideally, Nebraska ties. (Just don't ask me who that person is!)

I too am an outsider, but what I find amazing is the following:

From 1973-1978 Tom Osbourne's 1st 6 years

'73 9-2-1

'74 9-3

'75 10-2 Big 8 Co-Champ

'76 9-3-1

'77 9-3

'78 9-3 Big 8 Co-Champ

Overall 55-16-2

Compare to Frank Solich's 1st 6 years

'98 9-4

'99 12-1 Big 12 Champ

'00 10-2

'01 11-2

'02 7-7

'03 9-3

Overall 58-19

I don't see a big difference between the two.

There are MANY Div-1 schools that would kill for

a 58-19 record. Why all the hoopla ???

C'mon Purdue - the "hoopla" is because they play in the same conference as BStoops, and Solich is losing out on good recruits all over the place. Out here in L.A., impatient UCLA fans are ready to hang Karl Dorrell in just his first year because USC is kicking their ass...

• 3 weeks later...

No, you haven't dragged it out KS2K, the Huskers have by making a painfully slow decision. But I also can't blame them for waiting until most of the top bowl games are done so they can talk to the top coaches. Sometimes its good to walk instead of run..

This is becoming eerily reminiscent of the fiasco at North Carolina after Bill Guthridge retired (IIRC, or was he let go?) as hoops coach a few years ago. After being spurned by a bunch of big names (Larry Brown, Roy Williams, George Karl), the Tarheels settled on Matt Doherty. Just look how well that worked out.