[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2003 Doak Walker Award Finalists

Kansas State 2000

DALLAS, TEXAS – The SMU Athletic Forum today announced Kevin Jones of Virginia Tech, Chris Perry of Michigan and Darren Sproles of Kansas State as the three finalists for the 2003 Doak Walker Award.

The recipient of the 2003 Doak Walker Award will be announced live on ESPN’s The Home Depot College Football Awards at 7 p.m. (EST) on Thursday, December 11. The award will be presented at the 2003 Doak Walker Award Presentation Banquet in Dallas on Thursday, February 12, 2004.

Jones, a junior from Chester, Pennsylvania, has rushed for a school record 1,494 yards and 20 touchdowns this season. He also set the school’s single-game record with 241 yards against Pittsburgh on November 8. He was named first-team All-American by the Football Writers Association of America.

Perry, a senior from Advance, North Carolina, has rushed for 1,589 yards and gained an additional 366 yards receiving. The Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year finished the regular season ranked fourth nationally in rushing yards per game and total rushing yards. His 154 yards and two touchdowns helped Michigan secure a victory over defending national champion Ohio State, earning the Big Ten title and a BCS bowl berth for the Wolverines.

Sproles, a junior from Olathe, Kansas, finished the regular season with an NCAA Division I-A leading 1,713 yards on 271 carries. Rushing for more than 100 yards in eight games this season, Sproles ranked second nationally with 177 all-purpose yards per game and is the career, single-season and single-game rushing record holder at Kansas State. Sproles’ performance helped lead the Wildcats to the Big XII North title.

In addition to skills on the field, candidates for the Doak Walker Award must have demonstrated records of leadership and exhibited the characteristics of sportsmanship and fair play associated with Doak Walker.

“Doak was an outstanding football player as well as an outstanding human being,” said Craig James, SMU alumnus and member of the Doak Walker Award National Selection Committee. “The recipient of this award should consider it a great honor to be associated with Doak Walker and all that he stood for.”

“We are honored to have these three young men as finalists for the Doak Walker Award. They have distinguished themselves with outstanding seasons, and we are proud to recognize them,” said Randall Goss, Chairman of the SMU Athletic Forum Board of Directors.

"In addition to skills on the field, candidates for the Doak Walker Award must have demonstrated records of leadership and exhibited the characteristics of sportsmanship and fair play associated with Doak Walker."

Wouldn't it have been nice if instead of highlighting their season on-field performance the readouts had highlighted what they demonstrated from the above quote.

It's always nice to be told the "other stuff" along with the stats.

Who do you think is the frontrunner?

skylive5:

Who do you think is the frontrunner?

Chris Perry of Michigan is the front runner and the one I expect to win the award. However, if Sproles runs well against Oklahoma that may push him ahead due to the fact that he will probably end up with 2,000 yards and currently has a 6.32 per carry average.

Perry is a higher profile player and plays closer to the East coast which is a huge benifit. Usually a back that reaches 2,000 yards wins the award, the voters love the big yard totals. The only time I remember a player not winning with 2,000 was Troy Davis at Iowa State who actually did it twice.

Kansas State 2000:

Chris Perry of Michigan is the front runner and the one I expect to win the award. However, if Sproles runs well against Oklahoma that may push him ahead due to the fact that he will probably end up with 2,000 yards and currently has a 6.32 per carry average.

Perry is a higher profile player and plays closer to the East coast which is a huge benifit. Usually a back that reaches 2,000 yards wins the award, the voters love the big yard totals. The only time I remember a player not winning with 2,000 was Troy Davis at Iowa State who actually did it twice.

If I'm not mistaken, Davis is also the only player to reach 2,000 yards rushing in a season and not win a Heisamn Trophy. That's even more perplexing as he did it two seasons in a row. thinking

Whatever happened to him, anyway?

I only saw Sproles / Jones once each and have seen Perry 3-4 times this year (since I live in Big10 country). So I may have a distorted viewpoint.

Still, Perry impressed me a lot. During the OSU game he did a great "Jim Brown impression," going off hurt after several plays...only to come back looking like a "runaway truck" a couple plays later. (And this against the top rush defense.) He also had BIG games against Iowa and ND I believe.

Kansas State doesn't get much exposure (as KS2k pointed out). However, I also think Sproles controls his own destiny...with a chance to seal the deal by playing well in a spotlight game against OU at the last minute.

So it looks like Jones isn't in the mix.

Hmmmm.... going to be interesting to watch the KSU/OU game with the "award undercurrent" of Sproles trying to run well, not only for his team, but for the award as well. Personally, wouldn't mind seeing him go off for about 220 and 4. :D

From what I read, the votes are already in. This is from rivals.com

Perry, Darren Sproles of Kansas State, and Kevin Jones of Virginia Tech were named the three finalists for the Doak Walker Award, the most prestigious award for running backs.

Perry was named the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year after rushing for 1,589 yards and totaling another 366 receiving. His play in the finale, in which he gained 154 yards and scored two touchdowns against Ohio State, could make him the favorite.

The 144 members of the Doak Walker Award national selection committee already have cast their votes to determine the winner. The recipient will be announced December 11.

GOB1:

The 144 members of the Doak Walker Award national selection committee already have cast their votes to determine the winner. The recipient will be announced December 11.

I did not know that. :mad:

GOB1:

Perry, Darren Sproles of Kansas State, and Kevin Jones of Virginia Tech were named the three finalists for the Doak Walker Award, the most prestigious award for running backs.

I looks like they gave the order there. angry

GOB1:

Is this Sproles good enough for the NFL?

He has been compared to Barry Sanders, he is very quick and shifty. I think he can make it in the NFL, though he is a bit small at this point. Regardless of his size he does bench over 400 lbs. eek! and he has not missed a start in his career.

Thanks for the response, Ill have to check him out this weekend. It should be on in our area. Next year I think im going to get that direct tv, In BIG TEN country, we dont see alot of Big 12 games. Good luck this weekend, I think you guys will need it, listening to some of these posters,OU cant be beat.