[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jason White is staying for another year.

McSooner

Just reported and confirmed here in Oklahoma. He was told he will be granted a 6th year by the NCAA and he annouced to his team he was staying just a few minutes ago. With White's return, OU will have all eleven offensive starters back for next year.

Oklahoma’s Jason White, winner of the 2003 Heisman Memorial Trophy, has been cleared by the NCAA for another year of collegiate eligibility. The Sooner quarterback announced Friday night after practice that he plans to return to OU for another season.

White, listed as a senior for the current 2003 season, could enter the upcoming NFL Draft, but said Friday that discussions with his parents, Ron and Sue White, and OU head coach Bob Stoops led him to believe that another year in the college ranks would be in his best interest.

Despite being pressed on the issue repeatedly, White had indicated that the decision of turning pro or remaining in college was something he would weigh at the end of the season. The Tuttle, Okla., native ended the speculation with his announcement Friday when he stood up during the team’s closing huddle to announce his intentions.

Ted the Bellhop:

I don't know, if I had blown out each knee already, I'd get mine while the getting was good.

Good point. Maybe he's worried that there are at least 2 other quarterbacks coming out who are CLEARLY better NFL prospects than him (Manning, Rothalisberger).

Yeah, I don't know if this is one of those heroic "I'm-staying-to-help-the-team-and-I-love-NCAA-football" kinda things, or more of a calculation of how much more he might make by coming out next year vs. this year. He would've been a 2nd-3rd rounder this year, but maybe someone told him he'd go 1st round as the top QB next year against a weaker crop, since Leinart will probably go another two (IF his knee holds out!)

Also, maybe the Sooners think they'll go undefeated and the "undisputed" NC team (as much it can be without a playoff) next year. And maybe he can go for another Heisman, becoming only the second guy to do it. But I still think its weird that the Heisman winner doesn't come out and make the bucks now....

Yikes, what a big gamble he's making with those knees! Even as a Trojan fan, I will say an extra prayer for him around the Christams tree, as his story is a good one....

Bender Rodriguez:

Good point.  Maybe he's worried that there are at least 2 other quarterbacks coming out who are CLEARLY better NFL prospects than him (Manning, Rothalisberger).

Actually, I think he needs the extra years to finish up his degree in Basket Weaving, with a minor in Phys Ed. He's going to need them, b/c he'll never make it in the NFL. :D :P

Actually, he already has his undergraduate degree. Does it make you feel better to rip a kid that has accomplished more in a short football career than you'll ever achieve in your entire miserable life? You're a big man know. The anonimity of the computer sure does bring out the courage in little men.

McSooner:

Actually, he already has his undergraduate degree.  Does it make you feel better to rip a kid that has accomplished more in a short football career than you'll ever achieve in your entire miserable life?  You're a big man know.  The anonimity of the computer sure does bring out the courage in little men.

Actually, the two little graemlin thingies :rolleyes: and :P were intentionally included in my post in the hopes that over-sensitive morons wouldn't misinterpret my post as being mean-spirited.

As far as what Jason White has accomplished, I feel it is a tremendous "feel-good" story the way he has battled back from surgeries.

As far as what I have or haven't achieved in "my miserable life" - I didn't realize you know me. And please take note of the proper use of the word "know". Let me guess, you went to OU. :D loco

Sooner fans - I'm just curious, what degree did White get and what's he studying in grad school? (Just curious if he was studying to be a doctor or such, or just filling requirements to play ball?)

I think the move does give him a HUGE leg up on next year's Heisman...but man you gotta worry about the guy's knees (and how much if anything this will cost him payday-wise in the long run). If hurt next year, it would be awful expensive and if he ever has a career-ending injury, this move costs him a year's top QB paycheck.

On the other hand, this surely cements his place among the all-time greats in the hearts of Sooner fans. So I suppose he always has a career as an Asst. Coach and/or Asst. A.D. in his back pocket now.

So I guess it comes down to his values/goals. He may plan to go the Archie Griffin route, shooting for 2 Heisman and seeing the NFL as a short-term payday gig leading back to OU.

LOL

Jason's major is not on his Soonersports.com Bio Page

And when I did a search on Google for Jason White Sooner Major it gave me articles about his major knee surgeries.

My mistake, his major is there (under the wrapup), Sociology. It says nothing about him completing his degree and being in graduate school.

It was my mistake. I thought his major was not listed on the official team roster / bio website, which I thought was odd. But it actually was there.

If majors were not listed I would think it was strange. Does it matter? Not really.

But anyways, it is listed, I just overlooked it.

Dragon:

Actually, I think he needs the extra years to finish up his degree in Basket Weaving, with a minor in Phys Ed. He's going to need them, b/c he'll never make it in the NFL. :D :P For the record, a Physical Education curriculum includes courses in Kinesiology, Biomechanics, Human Anatomy & Physiology, Exercise Physiology, Scientific Measurement(testing methods and there validity), Human Motor Development, Sociology, Psychology, etc...

Basket Weaving can also be very difficult.

Beer Swilling Miscreant:

For the record, a Physical Education curriculum includes courses in Kinesiology, Biomechanics, Human Anatomy & Physiology, Exercise Physiology, Scientific Measurement(testing methods and there validity), Human Motor Development, Sociology, Psychology, etc...

Basket Weaving can also be very difficult.

Basket weaving is a bit(h, especially when combined with a minor in needlepoint.