[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ten Outlook for 2004

davearm

Before this season fades away and we all forget about college football for awhile, I thought I'd throw out an early view of how the Big Ten shapes up for next year:

Top Tier: Fighting for the Conference Championship

Michigan

Year in and year out, only Ohio State can match the Wolverines’ talent. Several key starters will need to be replaced, but this is the classic example of reloading not rebuilding. Lloyd Carr is becoming a latter-day John Cooper: the team wins despite him, not because of him.

Purdue

This team has quietly grown to be very formidable, now that it has a strong defense to go along with its pass-happy offense. Losing their safety blanket, John Standeford, will be tough, but Kyle Orton is back throwing the ball. How much longer will the spread attack work?

Minnesota

Any year now, this team is going to break through and win the league. I thought this year was going to be that year, with Abdul-Khaliq leading the way as a senior. Perhaps it would have been, if not for the meltdown against Michigan in October. The running game is going to be incredible next year, but the Gophers need to get a defense if they are to get to the top of the mountain.

Ohio State

Recruiting strength and Jim Tressel’s influence on this program assures the Buckeyes of being in the running every year. Just about everyone from the National Championship team will now be gone, though, so many questions will loom, especially on offense.

Iowa

All their top skill position players on offense are gone, along with all-world OT Robert Gallery. But did you see the whipping they put on the Gators? If Kirk Ferentz is back, then they’ll be in the hunt; if not, then put them in the next tier down.

Middle Tier: Hoping for an upper-half finish

Wisconsin

Aside from a memorable 79-yard TD pass to Lee Evans vs. OSU, this team just couldn’t make plays late in close games, losing three conference games on the final play of the game, and allowing several big plays to Auburn late in their bowl game. A healthy Anthony Davis and improvement on defense will be needed to offset the losses of Jim Sorgi, Evans, and their top LBs. The Badgers could easily beat out some of the Top Tier teams, but a conference championship is highly unlikely.

Michigan State

I never really bought into this team, even while they raced out to a 7-1 start. They came crashing back to earth in the latter part of the season, and now their top player, Jeff Smoker, is gone. They’ll put together a few strong games and probably an upset or two, but in the end they’ll be in the middle of the pack, hoping for a fringe bowl bid.

Bottom Tier: Trying to stay out of the basement

Penn State

It was sad to see JoePa and the Nittany Lions suffer through such a dreadful season. Unfortunately, a quick turnaround is not likely. With its rich history and recruiting power, I expect this program to get back on track quickly once a new coach is in place, though.

Northwestern

This team surprised a lot of folks by winning four conference games and reaching a bowl game. Without their leading rusher from this season, expect the Wildcats to drop back below .500 next year.

Illinois

From Big Ten Champs to 0-8 in just two years, ouch. They can’t be any worse than they were this year, but there are not a lot of reasons to think they’ll break out, either.

Indiana

When does basketball season start?

originally posted by Davearm:

5 things that have nothing to do with this topic:

Sorry Dave,this too,has nothing to do with your topic, but:

5 Reasons why Sgt. Ryan opinons mean nothing to all of us

1.Idiot thumbs_u

2."OU will win 52-7" lol

3.Living in your mom's basement doesn't count for having your own house cool_thu

4."The Big 12 will show it's dominence this bowl season" sleep

5.Out of his 2057 previous posts, has he made sense before? brow

Jackass,

I refused to make a prediction on the game.

I only posted thumbs_u to another prediction which was 52-17, dumbf*ck

5 reasons why theeohiostate is on my jock

1. Jealousy of Sooner Nation

2. He's a 23 yr old Junior College drop out who claims OSU only after they won a title

3. Hasnt had Rosie O'Donnell since Rosie O'Donnell had him

4. Biggest claim to fame is getting schooled by Sarge on a weekly basis

5. A typical victim in life, had the Athena beat out of him as a child, was laughed at for acne and wetting the bed at age 14, went on his first date as a Senior in high school with the freshamn fat chick in the band. Got married to the fat chick at age 20, has been living in her moms basement for 3 yrs, still waiting for that big opening down at the mill in a podunk town in Ohio. Gets picked on by his highschool co-workers at the McDonalds. Says one day I will have a newer car than the 82 LTD his momma gave him as a graduation present. His fat wife is pregnant with their 2nd child, and is still 60 lbs overweight from their first child, who was dropped on its head when the Dr. asked him what farm animal is the father. Life hasnt been good to thee ohio state, but that big promotion to frys is coming by months end, so things are looking up... thumbs_u

originally posted by Sgt. Ryan:

car than the 82 LTD his momma gave him as a graduation present. His fat wife is pregnant with their 2nd child,  

lol NO!! actually my first car was a '72 Green Nova with brown seat covers, My wife did give birth to our first chlid 2 weeks ago, but sorry, she's 110 lbs, and that may be the weight of one of your wifes' legs lol I did trade in the Nova years ago, but with the 2004 Hummer,2003 Anniversary Edition Vet,2003 Avalanche,2003 Suburban and 2003 Fatboy, I don't miss it that much anymore, Maybe you should give up your Swynn and paperroute and clean up the Pinto,apply at Pizza Hut and start doing something with your life. :D

theeohiostate:

originally posted by Sgt. Ryan:

car than the 82 LTD his momma gave him as a graduation present. His fat wife is pregnant with their 2nd child,  

I did trade in the Nova years ago, but with the 2004 Hummer,2003 Anniversary Edition Vet,2003 Avalanche,2003 Suburban and 2003 Fatboy, I don't miss it that much anymore, F*ckin liar on top of what I said before :D

First, Sarge get a life. Nobody needs to hear off topic smack from a tunnel-visioned fan of a school who plays a soft schedule and gets handed their ass when they play a decent opponent.

Second, its too d@mn early for a decent outlook for the Big Ten 2004. There are too many recruits still to commit, too many players yet to decide whether to stay/go pro and it will take at least 5-6 months of weights plus Spring ball before we know who among 2003 bench players (or recruits) will emerge.

About all we know at this point is based on their tradition and coaching staff track record. So we know that OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin are likely to be good and a couple others will have a shot at being among the top tier. 2-3 others will be good enough to win against any Big Ten school on any given Saturday, but will end up 2nd tier. 1-2 will have the potential for an upset or two, but not much else...with 1-2 being door mats.

Sadly the season's over and it won't be until next summer when we know how the 2004 season shapes up.

By the way this is theeohiostate speaking, all three computers crashed, just love networking :mad:

Sarge, it may be difficult with your limited I.Q. to understand that some of us make above minimum wage lol If anyone were to work under the hoods of any of my rides, it'd be you!

teamprimos, sorry but that is my work vehicle.

Sarge, i'm temped to take my digital camera out and put up a link,but I doubt anything i or anyone in this forum could say or do would shut up your uniformed,illogical,sorry excuse for a Huddler,piss attitude mouth up! So, i urge you just "BE YOURSELF". I like to feel superior, and you just make it SOOOO EEAASSSSYY. :D