[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Tom Brady a Hall of Famer?

General Itals

Is Tom Brady a Hall of Famer?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tom Brady a Hall of Famer?

• Yes. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer even if he retired today.
    • Yes, He'll be a Hall of Famer by the time he retires.
    • Maybe. He has to put up some more stats and keep winning.
    • No. He's the bus driver of a great team, nothing more.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean Salisbury said he was a first ballot Hall of Famer even if he retired today.  I'm not so sure about that.  What do you think?

689472[/snapback]

I want to know where "Steak" is hiding his Josh Gordon!?!? :D

In Brady's own words, or close to it, he says he can't and should not be compared with recent HOF QB's. No doubt, he is one of the best, but a bit like Aikman, he doesn't really put up the big numbers. Winning Super Bowls overcomes that, for sure, but he needs more years as a starter before he can be ordained, I think.

Another thing is that his coach tends to get credit for winning more so than he does, and that hurts him. Too early to induct him just yet. I think I'd like to see him on a team that was not quite as dominating as the Pats are now. He doesn't often have his back against the wall at the end of a game. Until he has that occur, I think he will have a hard time getting in, at this point in time. Is C-Pep an HOF'er already? His problem is the opposite, he puts up the numbers, but no Supe appearances. Right now, Brady is just like Aikman. Time will tell.

In Brady's own words, or close to it, he says he can't and should not be compared with recent HOF QB's. No doubt, he is one of the best, but a bit like Aikman, he doesn't really put up the big numbers. Winning Super Bowls overcomes that, for sure, but he needs more years as a starter before he can be ordained, I think.

Another thing is that his coach tends to get credit for winning more so than he does, and that hurts him. Too early to induct him just yet. I think I'd like to see him on a team that was not quite as dominating as the Pats are now. He doesn't often have his back against the wall at the end of a game. Until he has that occur, I think he will have a hard time getting in, at this point in time. Is C-Pep an HOF'er already? His problem is the opposite, he puts up the numbers, but no Supe appearances. Right now, Brady is just like Aikman. Time will tell.

691217[/snapback]

I agree, it will take time and he will have to put up some #'s.

I agree that it will take more than 4 years to get Brady into the Hall, but maybe not too much more. I also think that by implying he needs to put up better numbers isn't accurate...the last 3 seasons Brady has averaged approximately:

3,690 yards passing and 26 TDs compared to only 13 Interceptions

In comparison, Aikman's best statistical season (2002) he had only 3,445 yards passing and 23 TDs, both career highs. While Brady doesn't have Marino or Manning numbers, they actually compare favorably to guys like Joe Montana, John Elway or Jim Kelly in their primes. To clarify, I am NOT saying that Brady is as good or better than Elway or Montana was, I'm just saying that by comparing his numbers to Aikman's, you actually do Brady a disservice.

Brady has now won 3 Superbowls in essentially 4 years in the league (excluding 2000 where he threw only 3 passes all year). His postseason record is 9-0 (Aikman's is 11-5). His postseason TD/INT ratio is 11/3 (Aikman's is 24/17), his career regular season TD/INT ratio is 97/52 (Aikman's is 165/141). It's hard to find fault with anything Brady has done on the football field, statistical or otherwise. I realize he has a great coach and plays in a great system, but I think he is well on his way, and another couple of solid seasons from Brady and he is an absolute lock for the Hall of Fame.

Edited by Skrappy1

Ummm, Troy Aikman?  And with that *** bias against the Cowboys at the Hall of Fame, who knows if he'll ever get in?  :D 

Actually, I would think Aikman would be a barometer for Brady.  If Aikman doesn't get in on first ballot, I don't see how Brady could.

689723[/snapback]

Aikman is not eligible until next year. To put Salisbury's statement into perspective..if Brady retired today, he would have to wait longer to be eligible than he's spent playing. I think he'll be there eventually, but let it play out...four years..no matter how good..is not enough time.

Edited by Herdmaster

he doesn't really put up the big numbers.

691217[/snapback]

To further back Skrappy's argument:

Seasons among the league's top 10

Passing yards: 2002-6, 2003-6, 2004-10

Passing TDs: 2002-1, 2003-10, 2004-6

I'd rank top 6 in yds/tds as being up there among the elite - and in two of his four seasons, he finished there in yds and/or tds. His numbers are fine.

However, right now, Brady is in a sense Terrell Davis - he has had a PHENOMENAL body of work, but I think he'd be at best on the bubble right now; you'd need to see him perform under adversity, on a crappy team, maintain a high level over and extended career, etc. Not quite there yet; Davis certainly looked like a HoF lock after 4 years - HUGE part of Den's 2 SB wins, 2000 yd season, 6000 yds rushing in 4 yrs, etc - but one blown out knee and there goes Canton. Davis is now an extremely marginal HoF candidate. I think if Brady got hit by a bus, he'd be much the same.

That said, if he has even a middling career from here on out, he probably makes it. Imagine if, say, Steve DeBerg started out his career on 3 SB teams and then put up his career #s (34,000 yds and 200 tds); I think he'd be in the HoF.

Put up some stats? Is that more important than not choking in the big games?

691770[/snapback]

Winning is important but, the HOF is about being a great player. 3 or 4 years of stats, good or not doesn't get you to the HOF, IMO anyway. Do you think Terrell Davis deserves to be there? As good as he was while he played, he doesn't qualify IMO. Now, if he played out a longer career he could have been the best if he kept up at the pace he was going. If Brady was done today, he wouldn't get there. I think that's what most are saying. Not that he won't eventually go, just that he needs to play out his career. Also look at Marino, he never won a SB, but his stats speak for themselves.

Edited by jgcoach

Winning is important but, the HOF is about being a great player. 3 or 4 years of stats, good or not doesn't get you to the HOF, IMO anyway. Do you think Terrell Davis deserves to be there? As good as he was while he played, he doesn't qualify IMO. Now, if he played out a longer career he could have been the best if he kept up at the pace he was going. If Brady was done today, he wouldn't get there. I think that's what most are saying. Not that he won't eventually go, just that he needs to play out his career. Also look at Marino, he never won a SB, but his stats speak for themselves.

692448[/snapback]

I think a Hall of Fame player is someone who puts a mark on the league.

Someone who stamps their name into the NFL, if ya know what I mean.

Someone who's name you will remeber for the things they did on the field.

I think a Hall of Fame player is someone who puts a mark on the league.

Someone who stamps their name into the NFL, if ya know what I mean.

Someone who's name you will remeber for the things they did on the field.

692477[/snapback]

I guess you're right to a certain extent as are all the posts really. I think it's a matter of time and what he does with it.

I didnt mean that without HUGH numbers a player should not go into the hall. It helps, but if he can put up just a couple more years like the last, even if he doesnt get another ring (that seems unlikely) he's in. I will say these two things about him:

He wins. That is the most important thing, but he also plays with a lead most of the time. Most hall of fame QB's won games in the last two minutes, quite a few times. That is not something Brady has had to do, and that is why I can't put him in the shoo-in category just yet. With a lead, there is no better QB in the league, but I'd like to see him pull a game or five out of his hat. This year, against Miami, he wasn't up to it. I didn't see the Steeler game, so I can't comment on that loss, but weren't those two games the only ones the Pats were down in the second half this year?

Look, I'm not knocking the guy, I know the arguement is he knows how to get a lead and hold it, and isn't that better? Yes, but I'd like to know if he has the whole package is all. If he had a career ending injury, he probably gets in , but not on a first ballot. He has the chance to make it a no brainer.....

Brady is better then any QB in the NFL today, including Favre and Manning.

Forget the 3 rings....

Just look at his winning record.  Thats speaks for itself.

692702[/snapback]

How about for fantasy football? You can have him(as we all know you wish you could)! :D

I think the rings will cast a shadow on the stats......I'm not a huge fan of his, but he know's how to lead a team. But most important, he know's how to win....... Regardless of stats....

691719[/snapback]

True.

Brady will need to prove that he can still perform with different coaching staff.

If he can still maintain his leadership skills, QB skills under a different OC, he should be able, in time, to distance himself from the HC Bill as being the reason for Pats greatness.

I agree that right now, Bill is the master and Brady is his puppet. If Bill can still continue his winning ways with the loss of Romeo & Weis, then there will be more to talk about.

But right now to call Brady a 1st ballot HOF is simply not correct. The Terrell Davis comparison is a very good analogy.

Winning is great and is what is the goal for everyone. Winning under adverse situations is what makes you great!

Undoubtably.  Under what circumstances could you keep him out? 

692809[/snapback]

Well, if he gets caught in a compromising position with a dead girl or a live boy before this year's draft, it may compromise his candidacy.