[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Tom Brady a Hall of Famer?

General Itals

Is Tom Brady a Hall of Famer?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tom Brady a Hall of Famer?

• Yes. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer even if he retired today.
    • Yes, He'll be a Hall of Famer by the time he retires.
    • Maybe. He has to put up some more stats and keep winning.
    • No. He's the bus driver of a great team, nothing more.

Aikman has 33000 passing yds and 165 tds; plus he performed solidly for some not-very-good teams as his career wound down. Brady doesn't have 15000 yds or 100 tds yet.

945063[/snapback]

Aikman also had 165 career starts, Brady has 64. Maybe that's part of your point, but Brady's yearly averages dwarf Aikman's, hence I still don't think it's an accurate comparison at all. Aikman only averaged exactly 1 PATD a game for his career and his TD to INT ratio is almost 1-to-1 (1 to .85 to be exact). Aikman also only had ONE 20 PATD year in his entire career, topping out at 23 in 1992, while Brady has averaged over 24 PATDs a year in his 4 years as a starter.

I think he's certainly got a good start, but he needs a bit more experience on his resume, so to speak.

Maybe, but I think "a bit more" is the key term there. Another couple of years and/or another championship would probably do it IMO.

BTW, 2 out of 3 :D's polled agree with me. :D

Edited by Skrappy1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aikman also had 165 career starts, Brady has 64. Maybe that's part of your point...Another couple of years and/or another championship would probably do it IMO.

945087[/snapback]

That's pretty much what I'm saying; even a mediocre career from here on out just to pad his stats/longevity would probably get him in.

Lynn Swan made it in based on his performances in winning Super Bowls.  I suppose Brady would have to get in as well using that criteria.

948884[/snapback]

Not to mention Namath and Bradshaw. It's unfortunate, as winning a SB often has little to do with individual talent. In comparison to basketball and baseball, the impact that one player has in the NFL is relatively minimal. (And, for some reason, the "experts" at ESPN have yet to figure that one out.) Fortunately, the people in Canton give deserving players like Marino, Tarkenton, Fouts, and Kelly the honor they've earned.

If he were to get run over by a bus today, Brady wouldn't be a lock for the Hall. He'd probably get in at some point, but not immediately. Despite his team winning three SBs, he's only been a starter for 3 1/2 years and doesn't have the career numbers at this point. And, through no fault of his own, he's played in a system that limits his numbers.

I'd really like NE's defense to fall apart, just to see how Brady would respond to being "the man" who's expected to win shootouts and carry a defense-impaired team into the playoffs. My feeling is that he would be at least partially successful (maybe 4,200 yds and 30 TDs per year with a couple playoff wins, but no SB). Brady's definitely more than a "system QB" and I'm sure that he'll have several more productive seasons and an eventual invitation to Canton. But he still has a lot to prove before he's placed in the same tier as Marino, Fouts, Favre, Manning, etc.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I believe Brady is/was better than Aikman. I don’t ever remember Aikman winning any games for Dallas. He just managed the game.

Brady, while not putting up big numbers all the time, absolutely lit up a pair of great defenses in Carolina and Philadelphia in the Super Bowl in very tight games.

Aikman’s Dallas teams just ran their opponents off the field. You have the best offensive line since the Redskins of the 1980s, a great defense like that, and Emmitt Smith what kind of QB do you really have to be?

I’ve seen New England win when Brady throw the ball 15 times and I’ve seen them win when they throw it 38 times.

Back when Aikman played, if you could force him into passing it all the time you’d beat him. Aikman was just a QB who played on a great football team. He is far from anything special. I think Brady kicks his ass.

Back when Aikman played, if you could force him into passing it all the time you’d beat him. Aikman was just a QB who played on a great football team. He is far from anything special. I think Brady kicks his ass.

949427[/snapback]

:D Well sure the Patriots aren't a great team. It's all Brady.

Tom Brady is not in the all-time top 50 in any major category.

Aikman is top 50 all time in Pass attempts, completions, passing yards and

passing TDs. So I guess when you force him to pass he sucked.