[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ATTENTION ALL ILLINI BASKETBALL FANS

Chargerz

With their 70-59 conquest of Wisconsin at home today they are 25-0!

Here's the rest of their regular season:

1) Feb. 16, at Penn State

2) Feb. 19, at Iowa

3) Feb. 23, Northwestern

4) March 3, Purdue

5) March 5, at Ohio State

I think they can run the table?? What'd you think??

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they can run the table?? What'd you think??

695810[/snapback]

These guys play with so much heart and with a huge chip on their shoulders, there is no doubt they can run the table. Iowa always plays them tough and if they are in a tight game where the refs are calling a lot of fouls, they'll lose. If Wisconsin hits their free throws yesterday, it may be a different story.

But, what's with the offense lately? 

695889[/snapback]

This was their roughest stretch of the season. The Michigan State game took a lot out of them, and they suffered in the Indiana game because of it. Every team is taking their best shot at them, and in Ann Arbor, their shots weren't going down. I have no problem with their offense if they continue to hold teams under 60.

Big question- Do they have enough to win the NCAA championship? or, better yet, will they win the NCAA championship? :D

695894[/snapback]

Again, it comes down to whether or not they can keep Powell Jr. and Augustine on the floor for 30+ minutes. There is not a team in the country that can contain Head, Williams, and Brown for the entire game. I see them as an Elite 8 team with absolutely no problem. Depending on matchups, they'll go farther.

They will be the #1 seed in the Midwest, and they'll be playing their games in Indianapolis and Chicago...I like it. The road is paved to get to St. Louis, and then if they get there, the support will be tremendous!

They will be the #1 seed in the Midwest, and they'll be playing their games in Indianapolis and Chicago...I like it. The road is paved to get to St. Louis, and then if they get there, the support will be tremendous!

695956[/snapback]

They will feel at home in all three places and the Illini crowd will be rockin. This is a great team and they will decide if they will be the champs this season. If they play their game with that stifeling defense nobody will beat them. They just cant allow a team to get into and establish an inside game against them. Some have tried but when Head and Brown start getting inside and stripping the ball from the opponents big men they abandon the idea and go back to trying to run with the Illini and that plays right into our hands.

Iowa always plays them tough and if they are in a tight game where the refs are calling a lot of fouls, they'll lose.

695956[/snapback]

I would have agreed with you here Gil if Iowa's idiot leading scorer wasn't kicked off the team recently. I don't think they have a shot at beating Illinois now. I watched Illinois against MSU (where they looked like the best team in the country)and UM (where they played poorly and still managed a win) and they are going to make a long run in the tourney.

I would have agreed with you here Gil if Iowa's idiot leading scorer wasn't kicked off the team recently.  I don't think they have a shot at beating Illinois now.  I watched Illinois against MSU (where they looked like the best team in the country)and UM (where they played poorly and still managed a win) and they are going to make a long run in the tourney.

695970[/snapback]

Puddy, no doubt losing Pierce hurt Iowa, but the game is in Iowa City, and there's a history of bad blood there...no matter the record, the Illini always struggle there.

Iowa has a bit of toughness in the paint and that's where they could hurt Illinois.

Regardless, if they lose one game during the season and one game in the Big 10 tournament, they are still the #1 seed in the Midwest. Anything less than that would be a very, very big crime.

Depending on any HUGH changes, I see these teams as the #1 seeds.

Kansas-West

UNC-East

Illinois-Midwest

Kentucky-SouthEast

I'm not even sure they still name the Regions that way. :D

That's blasphemy, woman!!!!  :D

How many games have you seen them play this year?

696022[/snapback]

:D

Not very many. As of late, I don't get the chance to watch much hoops until the football season is over. B)

However, I think my statement is a pretty safe one to make each and every season.

And I don't like Illinois. :D

Guest dabears

I went to the game Sat afternoon. It sure looked like Augustine was just afraid to make a move or fade back for a shot. But then, Williams is more of the fade away and Augustine is the paint man. Still, one on one, make a move! I was just PO'd that they didn't give it their all. Head is once again the man :D

Was the largest crowd in Assembly Hall history for a game. A smidge under 17k, all it can fit!

Sorry - nothing personal.  I've always been a Hoosier fan.  Which means I have a healthy dislike for the rest of the Big 10.  :D

696579[/snapback]

Gotcha! We could probably start another thread on the woes of the Indiana basketball team. I'm wondering how much longer the Hoosier coach will be there before he gets axed!?!!

I went to the game Sat afternoon.  It sure looked like Augustine was just afraid to make a move or fade back for a shot.  But then, Williams is more of the fade away and Augustine is the paint man.  Still, one on one, make a move!  I was just PO'd that they didn't give it their all.  Head is once again the man  :D

Was the largest crowd in Assembly Hall history for a game.  A smidge under 17k, all it can fit!

696610[/snapback]

The place sure looked like it was rockin'!!

I agree. Augustine is going to have to step up the rest of the way if the Illini are going to win a national championship!

Not an Illini fan, but what they do in the regular season is largely irrelevant.  Can they win the tourney?

697003[/snapback]

That will be a later thread, I'm sure.

I'm gonna guess that they run the regular season undefeated. I think, however, if in the Big 10 tourney they face Michigan St. or Wisconsin in either the quarter or semi final round, that they might "look ahead" and lose. If they make it to the finals of the Big 10 tourney, though, I don't see them losing.

As far as the NCAA's go... I'd be shocked to see them not make it to the Final Four. The selection committee will probably screw up again and put UNC and Illinois in brackets where they face each other in the semifinals. I could see UNC beating Illinois... but the Orange Krush definitely looks good and could make it all the way and beat the likes of UNC, Kansas, etc.

The Illini should finish the regular season undefeated, but I wonder if their weak schedule down the stretch will hurt them. Another tough matchup against Mich. St. in the Big 10 tourney may be the only real test before the big dance.

Like gilthorp said they are set up in the Midwest bracket with games in Indy and Chicago. It'll be interesting to see who else is in their region as far as matchups go.

It would be in the best interest of the Illini to drop a game or two before the tourney.

699190[/snapback]

I've been thinking this too, but realistically it's looking like they're not going to lose any games before the tournaments. I think the pressure of being undefeated may be too overwhelming to overcome in tournament play. I hope I'm wrong!!!

I've been thinking this too, but realistically it's looking like they're not going to lose any games before the tournaments. I think the pressure of being undefeated may be too overwhelming to overcome in tournament play. I hope I'm wrong!!!

699286[/snapback]

That Stanford team from last year....26-0 before losing in the regular season finale and again in the 2nd Round of the NCAAs. Just really struggled down the stretch, even though they won games, just couldn't finish teams off like they were doing up until late February.....

In the limited number of games I've seen Illinois play, I think they're better than that club, but going 30-0 into the NCAAs? That's some crazy stuff that just seems to amount to a lot of extra pressure. It would be exciting to watch happen. Just not sure it's possible.

Alright, now they're 26-0 with a win tonight, 83-63, at Penn State!! :D

Four more to go to a perfect 30-0.

Edited by Chargerz