[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NASCAR

Buffalo4

I love McMurray. I also like J. Buton. The Burtons' seem to do very well at this track. I like Nemechek as a sleeper, he looks good this year. Anyone else have any favorites and sleepers?

Others that do well here are:

Stewart

Kenseth

Martin

Marlin

I love McMurray. I also like J. Buton. The Burtons' seem to do very well at this track. I like Nemechek as a sleeper, he looks good this year.  Anyone else have any favorites and sleepers?

Others that do well here are:

Stewart

Kenseth

Martin

Marlin

717608[/snapback]

All of the Roush guys should be good here. Newman is pretty good on these type of tracks as well as Stewart. I like your darkhourse pick. Gotta stay away from Junior here. Johnson is safe anywhere.

Kenseth has won this race the past two years.

717634[/snapback]

Yeah, I have the 17 car in one of my pools. The 6, 97 and 99 looked awfully good on a similar track last week. I'll take the 6 car on any track.

Teams had the week off to prepare for this race. I would be looking at laying some on Kahne, but until Dodge wins a race or places in the top 3 I'm going to lay off the new chargers. Only one Dodge has placed in the top 7 in 2 races. So I'm looking at drivers who have had success at this track and other 1.5 mile race tracks. The best value I see before the cars hit the track is Tony Stewart. We all now he had dominated at a similiar track. He also lead the 2nd most laps last year (45) in Vegas on his way to a 3rd place finish. Tony also finished 5th in 02 & 03. In 02 he lead the most laps (76) out of all the drivers in the field.

Teams had the week off to prepare for this race. I would be looking at laying some on Kahne, but until Dodge wins a race or places in the top 3 I'm going to lay off the new chargers. Only one Dodge has placed in the top 7 in 2 races. So I'm looking at drivers who have had success at this track and other 1.5 mile race tracks. The best value I see before the cars hit the track is Tony Stewart. We all now he had dominated at a similiar track. He also lead the 2nd most laps last year (45) in Vegas on his way to a 3rd place finish. Tony also finished 5th in 02 & 03. In 02 he lead the most laps (76) out of all the drivers in the field.

725308[/snapback]

Stewart's a smart pick for the next two weeks.

Not that much of a dark horse but certainly not part of the Big 7 (Kenseth, Stewart, Johnson, Gordon, Junior, Newman, and Busch)

726145[/snapback]

I like Big 7, but what about calling it the Elite 8(add Mark Martin).

I have $50 on Kenseth to do better then Busch and Gordon already on this race.  I like my chances :D

727505[/snapback]

That's not a bad bet, but it's always hard to bet against the Rainbow Warrior ans Busch and Kenseth's cars should be very similar.

Look out for Martin this year...

He's just gonna hang around the top ten all season, with a couple of wins...

then come 'playoff' time....

727951[/snapback]

The man deserves a Championship. He got screwed outta one before, this is his last shot.

I have $50 on Kenseth to do better then Busch and Gordon already on this race.  I like my chances :D

727505[/snapback]

Keep your fingers crossed. Kenseth has had 2 DNF's in the first 2 races.

Hopefully Kenseths woes in the first two races are not going to be a season long thing for him. In his defense it hasnt been his fault as both DNF's were caused by engine failure.

Keep your fingers crossed. Kenseth has had 2 DNF's in the first 2 races.

Hopefully Kenseths woes in the first two races are not going to be a season long thing for him. In his defense it hasnt been his fault as both DNF's were caused by engine failure.

728014[/snapback]

Those dang Roush engines

This dusty track in the Nevada desert may be new to the circuit -- hosting only seven events since it was built in 1998 -- but it is has a tradition for great racing, especially if one drives for the "Cat in the Hat," Jack Roush.

Roush Racing has dominated this track, winning five of the first seven races with three different drivers and putting his pilots in the top 10 more than 50 percent of the time. In fact, in his storied Vegas career, Roush has failed to place only two of his drivers in the top 10: Kevin Lepage earned a best finish of 11th in 2000 and Greg Biffle has a best of only 40th.

The way the No. 16 ran last week, that number is destined to improve. In fact the No. 16 team has a best finish of sixth in 1998 with Ted Musgrave at the wheel.

Roush Racer's Best Finishes:

First (twice): Jeff Burton (1999-2000)

First (twice): Matt Kenseth (2003-'04)

First: Mark Martin (1998)

Fourth: Johnny Benson, Jr. (1998)

Sixth: Ted Musgrave (1998)

Ninth: Kurt Busch (2004)

10th: Chad Little (1998)

11th: Kevin Lepage (2000)

40th: Greg Biffle (2004)

The favorites

A driver doesn't get much more perfect on a type of track than Tony Stewart on the so-called cookie-cutter tracks. Dating back to the Coke 600 in 2001 -- a span of 29 races on the 1.5-mile tracks -- Stewart has posted an average finish of 8.4 at Lowe's, Atlanta, Texas, Las Vegas, Chicagoland and Kansas Speedway. Included in this group of races are three victories: one each at Lowe's, Atlanta, and Chicagoland as well as top fives on all six 1.5-mile dogleg tracks.

At Vegas, Stewart has finished in the top five in four of the past five races. In fact, the only time he has struggled at this track was in his first attempt in 1999 when he came home 36th. In the past five years, a 12th in 2001 is his low-water mark.

Since he has not yet won a race at on this Nevada track, some of your competition may overlook him this week, which will allow you to sneak up on them and gain some points.

Matt Kenseth is going for three consecutive wins at Las Vegas.

Matt Kenseth took a little while to get the hang of Las Vegas. Considering the overall strength Roush, a pair of 14th-place finishes and a 17th was disappointing in his first three attempts. In 2003, however, he won in convincing fashion. Last year, he held off a hard charging Kasey Kahne to post back-to-back victories.

So much emphasis in the No. 17 shops was placed on winning more than one race early in the season, that Kenseth slipped down the standings as the year grew long, but he still had some of his best finishes on the 1.5-mile tracks, posting a third at Lowe's and a sixth at Atlanta.

Mark Martin earns his favored status this week by recording a top-10 in all but one of his seven attempts at Vegas. The exception to the rule was in 2003 when he suffered a blown engine.

It has been hard to predict which of Roush's drivers will pull the weak engine on a given week, but Martin has proved he certainly knows his way to the front. He found Victory Lane in the inaugural event in 1998. His sixth-place finish in the Daytona 500 and seventh last week at California are part of an eight-race streak of top-15 finishes, which gives him a ton of confidence entering the race.

Dark horses

Anyone who has watched Bobby Labonte race at Atlanta knows he can find the groove on one of the similarly configured 1.5-mile tracks. His record on that southern track has been as close to perfect as possible in an age of parity. He hasn't been a slouch on this western track either. He has yet to win, but after getting his feet wet with a 19th-place finish in the inaugural race, he posted back-to-back fifth-place finishes in 1999/2000.

Bobby Labonte has proven himself on the intermediates. Credit: Autostock

In 2003 he was back in top-five form with a fourth and he backed that up with an eighth last year. Given the struggles this team has had over the past few races, he will certainly be overlooked by the competition, which will allow you to differentiate your team for still modest commitment.

Each time the series has rolled into Las Vegas, Casey Mears has posted a career-best finish. In his rookie season, Vegas was the site of his first top-15; last year he earned his first top-10 on this same track. In order to keep that streak alive, Mears will have to finish third or better -- which quite frankly is not in the cards -- but if he can repeat his performance from last year, he will still be one of the best bargains in the game.

Avoidance principle

Similarly at Las Vegas, Gordon was humming along until he won in 2001. Since that event, he has a best finish of only 15th, which was recorded last year. Despite his victory in 2001, Gordon has only averaged a finish of 16.8 in his seven races on this track, and he has led laps in only three races.

Surprisingly, Jeff Gordon record at LVMS has been a bit inconsistent. Credit: Autostock

Ryan Newman has missed more often than he has hit at Las Vegas. In his first attempt, Newman finished 11 laps off the pace in 33rd. Last year, he was two circuits down to the leader in 27th when the checkered flag waved. In between, he has a couple of top-10s, but even they are insufficient to raise his average finish above 17th, and for a driver that commands as much attention as he does on the cookie-cutter tracks, Newman is best left in the garage area on this single-event track.

Thanks for the info Buffalo. I'm in 4 pools and in two of them we had to pick one driver for each race and we couldn't use the same driver twice. I'm using the 31 car in one pool and the 17 in another. In another pool we have to start 1 A driver 2 B drivers and one C driver. I'm using either Stewart or Kenseth for my A, Edwards, Biffle, B. Labonte or Jeff Burton for my B and either Scott Riggs or Joe Nemecheck for my C. I'd use Martin for my B driver but we can only use the same guy 9 times in this league. My other league was an auction draft where I ended up with Johnson, Gordon, Edwards and Nemecheck.

Edited by Jumpin Johnies