[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's Talk #1 seeds

billay

It goes without saying that Illinois and UNC have #1 seeds. There are several teams that can make a case for the others. If Wake wins tonight, they're in, but who else? Kansas has lost 4 of the last 6, hardly #1 worthy. Kentucky has lost twice of late. Is BC really #1 material? Could Arizona Rally? Or God Forbid, Dook be considered?

I gotta think BC and Arizona would be the other two #1 seeds, but the conference tournaments may change all that. I also think Gonzaga has a chance to be a #1 seed.

Edited by Chargerz

Kansas definitely won't be, unless they tear up the BIG12 tourney and have some other luck, too.

Kentucky, Wake Forest, Boston College, Duke, Oklahoma St, Louisville, Kansas.

I think the other two #1 seeds will come from here. UNC is no lock yet. If they lost their first game in the ACC tourney, while Duke/Wake won...plus if Kentucky kills in its tourney, then UNC might not get it. hard to say for sure yet. Illinois is the only LOCK (100%) no matter what happens.

edit: I just realized that Kansas lost arguably its most important player (Langford) - probably for the year. That ain't good.

Edited by Meat Face

The question is:

Since Kansas will be a #2 seed, does the selection committee put them in the bracket with Illinois or North Carolina? Two potential great stories there.

Unfortunately, if Kansas doesn't get their crap together fast, it won't matter cause they won't make the Sweet 16 right now.

I think that would be really unfair to UNC and Illinois to get Kansas as a #2 seed. It's probably more likely that if they are a #2 it would be against a more questionable #1.

You really don't like UNC do you, Meat?

723279[/snapback]

Take off your blind-ass homer goggles. I gave you a situation where it could happen!!! If you disagree with it give me a reason why.

I didn't just pull it out of my butt for no reason. I thought we were discussing possibilities here. I was discussing.

P.S. I do think that it's likely UNC will get it. I just said they aren't 100% lock like Illinois. Did you even read past "UNC is no lock yet"? :D

Edited by Meat Face

To me Illinois, UNC, & Wake are in. The other spot depends on the conference tourneys. If Kentucky wins the SEC I think they get it. If they lose I think it could go to any of the following teams: OK St, Kanses, BC, Zona, Duke, UCONN.

Also, for the record I'm a Duke fan so I am pro ACC.

If thats' the case then why didn't you mention the possibility of Illinois losing their first game in the tourney and not getting a #1 seed?

With Illinois loss yesterday, and the mere possibility that UNC moves into the #1 spot I think secures them a #1 seed in the tourney no matter what happens.

Homer goggles? 14-2 and ACC champion? Did I make that up?

If Illinois played in the ACC they'd have as many losses or more.

Edited by billay

If thats' the case then why didn't you mention the possibility of Illinois losing their first game in the tourney and not getting a #1 seed?

because even if they lose their first game, they will still get a #1 seed. They've dominated this year, and at this point they are #1 even if they lose again. They are locked in no matter what happens.

With Illinois loss yesterday, and the mere possibility that UNC moves into the #1 spot I think secures them a #1 seed in the tourney no matter what happens.

You are probably right. I'm just saying it's not 100%. Bracketology But if UNC totally tanks, and Duke wins the ACC, then maybe IL, KY, WF, and Duke could be the #1's. Or if BC kicked butt in their tourney, then they could take a #1. All hypothetical.

If Illinois played in the ACC they'd have as many losses or more.

blah blah...we'll never know, right? So who cares? :D

edit: I should mention that in my mind there's no difference between a #1 and #2 seed. They have pretty similar routes to the Final Four.

Edited by Meat Face

How is that any different thatn if Illinois totally tanks?

I think both teams receive #1 seeds.

#2 is a nice seed, but you would have to play the #3, if everything goes to plan and then play the #1.

How is that any different thatn if Illinois totally tanks?

724243[/snapback]

The reason I think it's different is because IL won 29 games in a row. And their record is 29-1. And if they lost in the first round of their tourney they will be 29-2, which is still better than anyone else in the country. Which means they will be a #1 seed no matter what.

As a BC homer (is there such a thing?) I can say that they are definitely still getting little respect nationally. However, they are not a #1 seed in my opinion. Probably a #2 unless they lose in the first round of the Big East Tourney. My opinion:

Illinois, UNC, Wake, and Kentucky at #1's

BC, Louisville, Duke, and UConn (when they win the B.E. tourney) at #2's

Kansas, OK State, Arizona, and Mich State at #3's

Just for the he ll of it.

As a BC homer (is there such a thing?) I can say that they are definitely still getting little respect nationally.  However, they are not a #1 seed in my opinion.  Probably a #2 unless they lose in the first round of the Big East Tourney.  My opinion:

Illinois, UNC, Wake, and Kentucky at #1's

725648[/snapback]

Well FL beat Kentucky today so it's up in the air again.

I do agree with Meat Face that even had Ill lost they would be a #1. I don't see any other locks.

It's got to be Illinois, UNC, Duke, and.....does Wake get in? Louisville? Washington?

732469[/snapback]

Yeah, why not Washington? They're on a roll!!!!

Nothing original here...I think the four best teams in the country are Illinois, UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest. There's your #1 seeds.

Oklahoma State, Louisville, Washington, and Kentucky are your #2 seeds.

#3 seeds are Syracuse, Arizona, Florida, and Kansas.

I'm sure I'm missing some team that's obvious here.

10 mins to selection, here's my prediction

#1's UNC, Illinois, Duke, Louisville

#2's Wake Forest, Okla. State, Kentucky, Arizona

#3's Washington, Kansas, Syracuse, UConn

#4's Oklahoma, Gonzaga, BC, Mich. State

Edited by major-tom

How in the F*** does a 13 ranked team end up being a #1 seed???

What a bunch of shiat!! I guess the rankings the whole year goes out the window as Washington leaps Louisville, Wake, Kansas, KY, Arizona, Ok St.

I mean seriously, how does Washington jump a Louisville or Ok St. team that both were ranked ahead of them going into conference championship week and both won there Tourney Championship.

What a bunch of shiat!!  I guess the rankings the whole year goes out the window as Washington leaps Louisville, Wake, Kansas, KY, Arizona, Ok St.

I mean seriously, how does Washington jump a Louisville or Ok St. team that both were ranked ahead of them going into conference championship week and both won there Tourney Championship.

732523[/snapback]

Do you want me to tell you there's politics involved in these selections? O.K., I'm telling you now. It's almost impossible to pick the #1 seeds EVERY year!

What a bunch of shiat!!  I guess the rankings the whole year goes out the window as Washington leaps Louisville, Wake, Kansas, KY, Arizona, Ok St.

732523[/snapback]

RPI, Strength of Schedule.....???

Dunno. Washington alumnus and homer, and I'm in shock. The things Washington had in their favor is a #5 RPI, and #17 SoS.

The Pac-10 had a conference RPI only behind the ACC, so perhaps they felt the need to reward the conference champ (Arizona and Washington tied, if you factor tourney results, with UW winning 2 of 3 HTH). And they apparently weren't going to put three teams from the ACC at #1.

I'm throwing out ideas here, not justifications. UW at best ought to be a 2, more likely a 3.

Ultimately though, the seeding is somewhat irrelevant.

West Virginia/Creighton (7/10) is a more favorable matchup than Pacific/Pittsburgh (8/9). Not to mention the likelihood of Louisville/Georgia Tech (4/5) in the Sweet 16 vs. Gonzaga/Texas Tech.

Edited by godtomsatan