[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best League Size?

I am commissioner for a league that expanded to 12 teams four years ago, but every offseason more and more people beg to join it. The waiting list is up around 10 people now and none of the current owners want to leave. We already have a couple of people sharing teams.

I am thinking about expanding the league to 14 or 16 teams. However, I am worried that this will only dilute the talent and make the league less fun. On the other hand, a few more owners to trade and trash talk with could make the league even more exciting. Has anyone ever played in a 14 or 16 team league and if so do you prefer the larger leagues or a 12 team league.

I guess another option would be to have two conferences of 8, 10 or possibly even 12 teams each where each conference has its own draft and the winners meet in the Super Bowl. The two Super Bowl teams could not start any of the same players in the Super Bowl. Has anyone played in a league like this, and if so, what did you think?

I think it depends on the league. IDP leagues can support more owners. As far as combination performance leagues, with no IDP's, I think 12 is best. I was in a local that expanded to 14. One injury and yer sunk for the year. No depth at all. Lose an RB, and the best you'll get on waivers is someone like Richie Anderson or Jerrold Sowell. About half of us left..... and started a new local with 12. Much better. With IDP's 16 seems to be the limit. I'd suggest starting a second league, rather than watering down the first one. You could even get a super bowl playoff for week 17 between the two..... not that I am a fan of week 17 for FF. Make it a bragging rights thing, as opposed to $.

Why don't you start another league if you have 10 waiting ?  I like 10 myself, definately no more than 12.

741717[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly! :D

I guess another option would be to have two conferences of 8, 10 or possibly even 12 teams each where each conference has its own draft and the winners meet in the Super Bowl. The two Super Bowl teams could not start any of the same players in the Super Bowl. Has anyone played in a league like this, and if so, what did you think?

I have done this with our leagues for four years and it is fine. The bigger you get though the less regular season games you have because you have to add another playoff week. Last year we went too big with four seperate 12 team conferences and had the final four face off down to two for the championship.

The year before we had three 12 team conferences with the two conference winners with the most regular season points face off for the championship. Talk about a BCS mess. We almost had a team with a better w/l record (he played weaker teams in his conf.) not get in because he didn't have as many points. Luckily he lost in his conf. championship.

This year I'm going back down to the two 12 team conf. Just to warn you if you have it where they can't play the same players your going to have to determine if either can play that player or neither. You could have one pissed if the other gets to play someone and they can't. I would just let them play them and cancel each other out.

The 12 team league walks that fine line between needing to be prepared for the draft but not so much that the talent pool is severely watered down.

741635[/snapback]

I like 14.

Gives you the equity of regular season games without playing a team twice in weeks 1-13, then the legitimacy of quarters, semis, and finals in 14, 15, 16 ... and clears week 17 to avoid the idiocy of resting stars. Plus, it forces you to really know that next level of player ... helping to separate the "maker of obvious decisions" from "the insightful expert".