[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Post your fantasy baseball teams

whomper

Team 1 (10 team 5x5 roto)

C - Kendall

1B - Teixeira

2B - Loretta

3B - Blalock

SS - Nomah

OF - Beltran

OF - Drew

OF - Rowand

Util - Casey

Util - Crisp

Bench - J. Reed

SP - Schilling

SP - Smoltz

RP - K Rod

RP - BJ Ryan

P - Tsao

P - Borowski

P - Fatolo Colon

Bench - Wells

Bench - Wade Miller

Bench - Noah Lowry

Team 2 (15 team 6x6 (OPS and L) roto)

C - VMart

1B - Konerko

2B - Roberts

3B - Figgins

SS - Young

OF - Cabrera

OF - Giles

OF - Burnitz

Util - Overbay

Bench - J. Reed

Bench - Ensberg

Bench - C. Monroe

SP - Schmidt

SP - Radke

SP - Maddux

RP - Nathan

RP - Borowski

P - Rincon

P - Linebrink

P - Brazoban

Bench - Lowry

Bench - Wade Miller

Bench Eric Milton

I'm happy with Team 1 as of right now, but I will need a little luck on the injury side in order for my pitching to pan out (i.e. I need Schil and Miller to spend as little time on DL as possible).  My offense there is stacked, in my opinion - I expect big things from Rowand and Crisp - only chink in the armor I see is Kendall.

Team 2 - I've never been in a 15 team league before, so it's hard for me to tell how I made out.  Being used to 10 and 12 team leagues, Team 2 looks flat out pathetic to me - lack of power and speed on O, no Ks outside of Schmidt as far as pitching goes.

As you may have guessed, I really like Jeremy Reed and Noah Lowry - if they both have strong years, I could be in even better shape.  My hand was somewhat forced with Borowski, but he appears to be back in 2003 form from what I'm reading - could be a pleasant surprise.  W/r/t Team 1, I plan to grab some MRs to shore up my ratios once I am able to move Miller (and possibly Schilling) to the DL - I'm big on playing MRs as much as possible.

744067[/snapback]

For a 15-team league, your team looks SOLID. Young and Cabrera are solid. Konerko in a contract year could be big. Giles is underrated and the Pads will again contend for the NL West, since the Gigantes and Blue Crew SUCK. Careful with Burnitz, though. He's an AVG KILLER. Solid pitching staff, especially for a large league. Good luck.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a 15-team league, your team looks SOLID.  Young and Cabrera are solid.  Konerko in a contract year could be big.  Giles is underrated and the Pads will again contend for the NL West, since the Gigantes and Blue Crew SUCK.  Careful with Burnitz, though.  He's an AVG KILLER.  Solid pitching staff, especially for a large league.  Good luck.

744121[/snapback]

Word on Burnitz - I panicked in the later rounds when I saw the lack of power I had in Roberts and Figgins - he's easily the cheapest 35 HR in the draft. Ideally, I will be able to trade Jeromy during one of his patented hot streaks.

Any thoughts on Team 1? I think they're pretty good, but I could be blinded by the fact that I drafted these guys and obviously like them.

I didn't look through this whole thread to see if you had posted your roster(s) but I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have - I'll check it.

C - Kendall

1B - Teixeira

2B - Loretta

3B - Blalock

SS - Nomah

OF - Beltran

OF - Drew

OF - Rowand

Util - Casey

Util - Crisp

Bench - J. Reed

SP - Schilling

SP - Smoltz

RP - K Rod

RP - BJ Ryan

P - Tsao

P - Borowski

P - Fatolo Colon

Bench - Wells

Bench - Wade Miller

Bench - Noah Lowry

Team 2 (15 team 6x6 (OPS and L) roto)

C - VMart

1B - Konerko

2B - Roberts

3B - Figgins

SS - Young

OF - Cabrera

OF - Giles

OF - Burnitz

Util - Overbay

Bench - J. Reed

Bench - Ensberg

Bench - C. Monroe

SP - Schmidt

SP - Radke

SP - Maddux

RP - Nathan

RP - Borowski

P - Rincon

P - Linebrink

P - Brazoban

Bench - Lowry

Bench - Wade Miller

Bench Eric Milton

I'm happy with Team 1 as of right now, but I will need a little luck on the injury side in order for my pitching to pan out (i.e. I need Schil and Miller to spend as little time on DL as possible).  My offense there is stacked, in my opinion - I expect big things from Rowand and Crisp - only chink in the armor I see is Kendall.

Team 2 - I've never been in a 15 team league before, so it's hard for me to tell how I made out.  Being used to 10 and 12 team leagues, Team 2 looks flat out pathetic to me - lack of power and speed on O, no Ks outside of Schmidt as far as pitching goes.

As you may have guessed, I really like Jeremy Reed and Noah Lowry - if they both have strong years, I could be in even better shape.  My hand was somewhat forced with Borowski, but he appears to be back in 2003 form from what I'm reading - could be a pleasant surprise.  W/r/t Team 1, I plan to grab some MRs to shore up my ratios once I am able to move Miller (and possibly Schilling) to the DL - I'm big on playing MRs as much as possible.

744067[/snapback]

I like both of those teams..I had Figgins last year.He is a stud..

Edited by whomper

Word on Burnitz - I panicked in the later rounds when I saw the lack of power I had in Roberts and Figgins - he's easily the cheapest 35 HR in the draft.  Ideally, I will be able to trade Jeromy during one of his patented hot streaks. 

Any thoughts on Team 1?  I think they're pretty good, but I could be blinded by the fact that I drafted these guys and obviously like them. 

I didn't look through this whole thread to see if you had posted your roster(s) but I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have - I'll check it.

744167[/snapback]

I think team 1 is pretty stacked.I dont know much about Rowand but I hear good things..

I just drafted my 2nd team today and I'm VERY happy.

C:  LoDuca

1B:  Ortiz

2B:  Utley

3B:  Wright

SS:  Tejada

CI:  Casey

MI:  Young

OF:  Sheffield

OF:  Patterson

OF:  Damon

OF:  Giles

OF:  Crisp

Util:  Castilla

Bench:  Sanchez, Walker, Grissom

SPs:  Mussina, Perez (Pit), Pettitte, Arroyo, Rogers

RPs:  Cordero, Baez, Takatsu, Gordon, Gonzalez, Worrell

Perfect balance of big bats, speed and average.  Decent pitching staff, but championships are won with OFFENSE, on the waiver wire, and through trades.  I figure I'll pick up some solid SPs through the course of the season.

Edit:  Picked 5th, and passed on Soriano for Tejada.  I think the O's are gonna score a gripload of runs.  I have Tejada down for 35/140 hitting .300.  I got Young super cheap, and have SS/MI covered.  Tough spots to fill.  I panicked a bit in a middle round and grabbed LoDuca.  Was trying to figure out a good middle-of-the-road SP, and nearly ran out of time.  I think LoDuca will settle in with the new team and could easily hit 25/100 with a solid average.  I love Patterson, and quite frankly, my entire OF.  Got Giles cheap.  I think Casey, if healthy, can be huge.  Utley and Wright will have to live up to expectations, or I'll hit the wire.

742885[/snapback]

How many teams in your league? 12?

I think 25 HR from LoDuca is expecting way too much (he's only done that once and it was 4 years ago), but he'll be a solid option for you. 100 RBI might be hard to come by in that lineup as well (not to mention that he's never done that before).

I have a feeling Castilla will be supplanted in your lineup by Walker before long.

Good move taking Tejada over Soriano - the latter is overrated and I have no idea why. Even if he swipes another 10 bags this year, I still don't see him as a 1st round pick. While Tejada is no lock for amassing all those RBIs again, I think he's a legit 1st rounder and blows Soriano out of the water.

I'm big on Wright, Utley (assuming he doesn't lose too many ABs to Polanco) and Crisp. Coco is my boy and has a legit shot at 20/30.

Gotta say I'm not huge on your SPs - Moose should be back and should be top-shelf, but the injury risk in Pettitte and Perez scares me a bit. BUT, and more importantly, you've got good closers and some nice MRs. I'd take building that foundation of relievers later in the draft over wasting early picks on SPs anyday.

Hard to give my overall take b/c I'm not sure how many teams in your league, but I'd say you've got a very good offense, mediocre SPs (no true "ace," but if they all remain healthy you could be in good shape) and very good relievers. You appear to be strong in the right spots.

Good luck.

I think team 1 is pretty stacked.I dont know much about Rowand but I hear good things..

744193[/snapback]

Thanks. I think he'll go 25/25 with .300+ BA this year - take a look at what he did last year w/ less than 500 AB - pretty nice.

Word is that Gagne was really favoring his leg today against the Sox. I'd like to add Brazoban to Team 1, but I don't see anyone worth dropping at this point.

C - Kendall

1B - Teixeira

2B - Loretta

3B - Blalock

SS - Nomah

OF - Beltran

OF - Drew

OF - Rowand

Util - Casey

Util - Crisp

Bench - J. Reed

SP - Schilling

SP - Smoltz

RP - K Rod

RP - BJ Ryan

P - Tsao

P - Borowski

P - Fatolo Colon

Bench - Wells

Bench - Wade Miller

Bench - Noah Lowry

744067[/snapback]

Regarding your first team, I didn't mention anything because it really looks pretty solid; no real holes to speak of. Kendall should top 100 runs playing in Oakland. Teixeira is 40/130/.300 waiting to happen. Loretta is steady, Blalock should rebound from a pretty average 2004 campaign. OF is solid, especially if Drew stays healthy and Rowand lives up to the hype. Solid pitching, for sure. Of course you better hope that Smoltzie can go back to starting at a high level. And your closers: tons of question marks, but could be better than decent. K-Rod obviously has the stuff, but can he close full-time? Tsao could be a surprise, but how many opportunities will he get?

Yeah, I posted my recently-drafted squad back on Pg. 1 of this thread.... take a look.

Regarding your first team, I didn't mention anything because it really looks pretty solid; no real holes to speak of.  Kendall should top 100 runs playing in Oakland.  Teixeira is 40/130/.300 waiting to happen.  Loretta is steady, Blalock should rebound from a pretty average 2004 campaign.  OF is solid, especially if Drew stays healthy and Rowand lives up to the hype.  Solid pitching, for sure.  Of course you better hope that Smoltzie can go back to starting at a high level.  And your closers:  tons of question marks, but could be better than decent.  K-Rod obviously has the stuff, but can he close full-time?  Tsao could be a surprise, but how many opportunities will he get?

Yeah, I posted my recently-drafted squad back on Pg. 1 of this thread....  take a look.

744243[/snapback]

Yeah - Smoltz will give me some heartburn. He's been throwing well thus far and I have to assume he can do this - otherwise Mazzone and co. wouldn't have let him make the switch. If he flops, I think they just slide him back into closer role and move Kolb to setup. I could be wrong.

I have no doubts about KRod, but the fact that BALT is still considering using Julio is straight up baffling to me. If that doesn't work out, I've still got one of the game's top setup men.

Borowski is my true wild card - if he's back in 2003 form, I think I'm all set. I Grabbed 4 "closers" in hopes that 3 work out - I'm confident that'll be the case.

Should I drop Tsao for Brazoban? I'm considering it, but both have upside.

How many teams in your league?  12?

I think 25 HR from LoDuca is expecting way too much (he's only done that once and it was 4 years ago), but he'll be a solid option for you.  100 RBI might be hard to come by in that lineup as well (not to mention that he's never done that before).

I have a feeling Castilla will be supplanted in your lineup by Walker before long.

Good move taking Tejada over Soriano - the latter is overrated and I have no idea why.  Even if he swipes another 10 bags this year, I still don't see him as a 1st round pick.  While Tejada is no lock for amassing all those RBIs again, I think he's a legit 1st rounder and blows Soriano out of the water.

I'm big on Wright, Utley (assuming he doesn't lose too many ABs to Polanco) and Crisp.  Coco is my boy and has a legit shot at 20/30.

Gotta say I'm not huge on your SPs - Moose should be back and should be top-shelf, but the injury risk in Pettitte and Perez scares me a bit.  BUT, and more importantly, you've got good closers and some nice MRs.  I'd take building that foundation of relievers later in the draft over wasting early picks on SPs anyday.

Hard to give my overall take b/c I'm not sure how many teams in your league, but I'd say you've got a very good offense, mediocre SPs (no true "ace," but if they all remain healthy you could be in good shape) and very good relievers.  You appear to be strong in the right spots.

Good luck.

744209[/snapback]

It's an 11-team league. We were at 8 teams and scrambling to fill the remaining 2 slots, and then got a flurry of interest and added all 3 guys. Since it's roto, the odd number won't matter.

I'm a huge LoDuca fan. I think the Dodgers really screwed up. Another reason to hate the Dodgers. They suck. LoDuca is apprently very comfortable with his new team, and they will score runs. I don't think 90-100 RBI is too crazy to predict.

I dropped Walker, although I may grab him again. I may dump Grissom for him, although I think the old man may bat third with Bonds out. I picked up Josh Phelps when I dropped Walker.... the projections I've seen for Phelps have him batting cleanup for the D-Rays. I had him a few years back and he had a HUGE first half.

I won this league last year, so felt that I could take a few gambles in the draft this season. I had a ridiculous team last year: ended the season with the likes of Beltran, Vlad, Young, Ichiro...

With that in mind, I decided to pass on "supposed" aces in terms of SPs. Once The Unit and Schmidt and the other REAL "big names" were gone, I didn't feel it was necessary to spend high picks on guys that play one out of every five games. Offense wins roto baseball championships. Moose, supposedly, is taking a different approach in the beginning of the season with the Spankees. I think as a #2 starter, he can rack up 20 wins. Really. He will lower his ERA from last year a full run (4.59 to around 3.60, no problem). The WHIP will come down, too (1.32, his worst since a bad 1996 campaign). I see him posting numbers more like his 1999 season (18 wins, 3.50 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 172 Ks).

Pettitte scares me a bit, injury-wise. But Perez doesn't. He won't get me wins, but 250 Ks isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

I'm always pretty conservative when throwing my SPs out there. I'll bench them if they have shaky outings or face big offenses. I will save up innings for later in the season, when the Ben Sheetses and Jeff Suppans of the world pop up and you can start grabbing wins and solid ERA/WHIP numbers off the waiver wire. And then, at the end of the season, you can play with SPs facing the bottom-of-the-barrell teams. This always works for me.

Thanks for your response!

Edited by darin3

It's an 11-team league.  We were at 8 teams and scrambling to fill the remaining 2 slots, and then got a flurry of interest and added all 3 guys.  Since it's roto, the odd number won't matter.

I'm a huge LoDuca fan.  I think the Dodgers really screwed up.  Another reason to hate the Dodgers.  They suck.  LoDuca is apprently very comfortable with his new team, and they will score runs.  I don't think 90-100 RBI is too crazy to predict.

I dropped Walker, although I may grab him again.  I may dump Grissom for him, although I think the old man may bat third with Bonds out.  I picked up Josh Phelps when I dropped Walker.... the projections I've seen for Phelps have him batting cleanup for the D-Rays.  I had him a few years back and he had a HUGE first half.

I won this league last year, so felt that I could take a few gambles in the draft this season.  I had a ridiculous team last year:  ended the season with the likes of Beltran, Vlad, Young, Ichiro...

With that in mind, I decided to pass on "supposed" aces in terms of SPs.  Once The Unit and Schmidt and the other REAL "big names" were gone,  I didn't feel it was necessary to spend high picks on guys that play one out of every five games.  Offense wins roto baseball championships.  Moose, supposedly, is taking a different approach in the beginning of the season with the Spankees.  I think as a #2 starter, he can rack up 20 wins.  Really.  He will lower his ERA from last year a full run (4.59 to around 3.60, no problem).  The WHIP will come down, too (1.32, his worst since a bad 1996 campaign).  I see him posting numbers more like his 1999 season (18 wins, 3.50 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 172 Ks).

Pettitte scares me a bit, injury-wise.  But Perez doesn't.  He won't get me wins, but 250 Ks isn't out of the realm of possibilities. 

I'm always pretty conservative when throwing my SPs out there.  I'll bench them if they have shaky outings or face big offenses.  I will save up innings for later in the season, when the Ben Sheetses and Jeff Suppans of the world pop up and you can start grabbing wins and solid ERA/WHIP numbers off the waiver wire.  And then, at the end of the season, you can play with SPs facing the bottom-of-the-barrell teams.  This always works for me.

Thanks for your response!

744276[/snapback]

Agreed - I think that a strong corps of relievers can be more important than blowing early picks on SPs. Way I drafted, I grabbed 1 SP in the early rounds (Schilling on Team 1 and Schmidt on Team 2) and then didn't revisit until the middle-late rounds.

I could learn from your "bench the SPs" technique - last year was my first foray into roto baseball and I ended up losing the league by .5 points b/c I had the worst SP managing practices on the face of the earth. Often did I pick up some scrub (e.g. Jarrod Washburn - burn in hell!) when I thought they had a favorable matchup, only to see them get absolutely torched. If my team ERA or WHIP had been .1 lower, the league was mine. Can you tell I'm still bitter?

Yeah - Smoltz will give me some heartburn.  He's been throwing well thus far and I have to assume he can do this - otherwise Mazzone and co. wouldn't have let him make the switch.  If he flops, I think they just slide him back into closer role and move Kolb to setup.  I could be wrong.

I have no doubts about KRod, but the fact that BALT is still considering using Julio is straight up baffling to me.  If that doesn't work out, I've still got one of the game's top setup men.

Borowski is my true wild card - if he's back in 2003 form, I think I'm all set.  I Grabbed 4 "closers" in hopes that 3 work out - I'm confident that'll be the case. 

Should I drop Tsao for Brazoban?  I'm considering it, but both have upside.

744259[/snapback]

You'd like to think that Mazzone knows what he's doing with Smoltz. Kolb is certainly a capable closer. Who did they trade for Kolb, or was he a FA? I can't recall. I seriously doubt they brought Kolb in to be a set-up guy. He's there to close. I think Smoltz should do fine. Don't expect more than 14 wins though. Something Maddux-like (last season's version, that is) would be about right.

Word is (and I'm watching carefully as a devout Cubby fan) that Borowski is lights-out this spring. Dempster's gonna start, and Hawkins will go in as a set-up guy. I think you should feel somewhat comfortable with Borowski as a legit closer.

That being said, if you think 3 closers will be enough for you to contend in the saves category, you perhaps drop Tsao for Brazoban. Brazoban is supposed to be a solid set-up guy with ultra low ERA/WHIP, and may vulture a win or two. He definitely has value. But Tsao is the de-facto closer for the Rockies. Don't have anyone else you're targeting to drop? Perhaps you drop Miller. You already have 2 Sox SPs.... ???

You'd like to think that Mazzone knows what he's doing with Smoltz.  Kolb is certainly a capable closer.  Who did they trade for Kolb, or was he a FA?  I can't recall.  I seriously doubt they brought Kolb in to be a set-up guy.  He's there to close.  I think Smoltz should do fine.  Don't expect more than 14 wins though.  Something Maddux-like (last season's version, that is) would be about right.

Word is (and I'm watching carefully as a devout Cubby fan) that Borowski is lights-out this spring.  Dempster's gonna start, and Hawkins will go in as a set-up guy.  I think you should feel somewhat comfortable with Borowski as a legit closer.

That being said, if you think 3 closers will be enough for you to contend in the saves category, you perhaps drop Tsao for Brazoban.  Brazoban is supposed to be a solid set-up guy with ultra low ERA/WHIP, and may vulture a win or two.  He definitely has value.  But Tsao is the de-facto closer for the Rockies.  Don't have anyone else you're targeting to drop?  Perhaps you drop Miller.  You already have 2 Sox SPs.... ???

744292[/snapback]

Miller is all I can think of, but I'd rather wait until he goes on the DL - then I'll have the open roster spot for Brazoban. This all depends on whether I think anyone will pick up Miller after I drop him. That said, I really don't want to miss out on this guy, as I think he'll be very valuable as a setup or fill-in for Gagne if he's not ready yet.

Agreed - I think that a strong corps of relievers can be more important than blowing early picks on SPs.  Way I drafted, I grabbed 1 SP in the early rounds (Schilling on Team 1 and Schmidt on Team 2) and then didn't revisit until the middle-late rounds. 

I could learn from your "bench the SPs" technique - last year was my first foray into roto baseball and I ended up losing the league by .5 points b/c I had the worst SP managing practices on the face of the earth.  Often did I pick up some scrub (e.g. Jarrod Washburn - burn in hell!) when I thought they had a favorable matchup, only to see them get absolutely torched.  If my team ERA or WHIP had been .1 lower, the league was mine.  Can you tell I'm still bitter?

744287[/snapback]

Yeah that's rough. I've made mistakes like that. That's yet another reason I draft for offense and grab 2 REAL GOOD SPs in early-middle rounds. I think I got that with Perez & Moose. I will start those guys no matter who they play. Pettitte, Arroyo & Rogers will only start if they're playing bad or moderately-good teams. I will conserve innings and seek out middle-relief guys that vulture wins. I will, at some point, pick up a hot pitcher and will stash him on my bench. And then, like I said, for the last month or so of the season (once your ERA and WHIP are pretty much set in stone), then throw some pitchers out there that are facing the worst teams in the league. At that point, their 3.00-4.00, even 4.50-5.00 ERA and 1.25-1.50 WHIP won't hurt you.... but their 6-8 Ks and WIN will really, really help.

Miller is all I can think of, but I'd rather wait until he goes on the DL - then I'll have the open roster spot for Brazoban.  This all depends on whether I think anyone will pick up Miller after I drop him.  That said, I really don't want to miss out on this guy, as I think he'll be very valuable as a setup or fill-in for Gagne if he's not ready yet.

744296[/snapback]

Honestly I think you can drop Miller. Feel free to :D yell at me if he comes out and wins 15 games.

The Sox have Schill, Clement and Wellsie. Not to mention Arroyo. Miller's gonna be their 5th starter, but COULD be a nice surprise. I think you dump Miller for Brazoban. Brazoban HAS value... Miller MAY HAVE value. Just my $.02! :D

Honestly I think you can drop Miller.  Feel free to :D yell at me if he comes out and wins 15 games.

The Sox have Schill, Clement and Wellsie.  Not to mention Arroyo.  Miller's gonna be their 5th starter, but COULD be a nice surprise.  I think you dump Miller for Brazoban.  Brazoban HAS value... Miller MAY HAVE value.  Just my $.02!  :D

744305[/snapback]

I think you've convinced me. Maybe if Schil hits the DL I can slide him over and grab Miller again.

I will destroy you if you are wrong. J/k - peeps who complain about bad advice on these sites need to have a tack hammer taken to their nads.

I think you've convinced me.  Maybe if Schil hits the DL I can slide him over and grab Miller again. 

I will destroy you if you are wrong.  J/k - peeps who complain about bad advice on these sites need to have a tack hammer taken to their nads.

744309[/snapback]

:D I hear that. Plenty of that crapola in the Fantasy Forum during the football season.

Also, if you're in a Yahoo league, there is a trick that I've found to be VERY beneficial.... especially if you employ my pitching techniques. Over the course of the early part of the season, track which SP-eligible guys are actually not starting at all (these guys usually have the SP/RP tag). In my Yahoo leagues, you're given 5 SP slots, 3 RP slots and 2 P (open to any) slots. If you're gonna contend for the saves category, you should have all 3 RP slots filled with legit closers. The 2 "P" slots should be set-up guys, or if you're lucky, another closer. Now, here's where it gets fun. There's no way you're going to start 5 pitchers in a day. It just never happens. So you can slide guys that are SP-eligible into the SP slots and just keep them there. Octavio Dotel, when he was on the Astros, was an SP/RP. He was HUGE, since he didn't take up any of your RP slots and had ultra-ridiculous ERA/WHIP and Ks and vultured like 10 wins one year. One guy that fell under this category last season was Chris Reitsma from the Bravos. He's only RP-eligible this season, but last season he won 6 games, and posted a decent ERA towards the end of the season. One guy I'm already targeting that's SP/RP eligible is the White Sox's Dustin Hermanson. Word is he would be given a shot to close if Takatsu falters. Either way, Hermanson may have value as a middle-reliever or set-up guy that could vulture some wins. He had 6 wins and 17 saves for the Giants last season. If Wilson Alvarez is in the pen for the Dodgers, he'd be another great candidate. Having guys like this on your team can increase your win total while not killing your ERA/WHIP... and most importantly, won't eat up your innings, conserving them for later in the season.

:D

Edit: If you're in a Yahoo league and can grab Jeremy Affeldt, DO IT. He's SP-eligible and will either close or become a solid SP. He'll be droppable as an SP, but invaluable if he's their closer and you can stash him at one of your SP slots. Also, if Ramon Ortiz is in the pen for the Reds, he will have value as a RP eligible for SP slots. Elmer Dessens COULD have value in this slot if Alvarez starts for the Dodgers.

Edited by darin3

:D  I hear that.  Plenty of that crapola in the Fantasy Forum during the football season.

Also, if you're in a Yahoo league, there is a trick that I've found to be VERY beneficial.... especially if you employ my pitching techniques.  Over the course of the early part of the season, track which SP-eligible guys are actually not starting at all (these guys usually have the SP/RP tag).  In my Yahoo leagues, you're given 5 SP slots, 3 RP slots and 2 P (open to any) slots.  If you're gonna contend for the saves category, you should have all 3 RP slots filled with legit closers.  The 2 "P" slots should be set-up guys, or if you're lucky, another closer.  Now, here's where it gets fun.  There's no way you're going to start 5 pitchers in a day.  It just never happens.  So you can slide guys that are SP-eligible into the SP slots and just keep them there.  Octavio Dotel, when he was on the Astros, was an SP/RP.  He was HUGE, since he didn't take up any of your RP slots and had ultra-ridiculous ERA/WHIP and Ks and vultured like 10 wins one year.  One guy that fell under this category last season was Chris Reitsma from the Bravos.  He's only RP-eligible this season, but last season he won 6 games, and posted a decent ERA towards the end of the season.  One guy I'm already targeting that's SP/RP eligible is the White Sox's Dustin Hermanson.  Word is he would be given a shot to close if Takatsu falters.  Either way, Hermanson may have value as a middle-reliever or set-up guy that could vulture some wins.  He had 6 wins and 17 saves for the Giants last season.  If Wilson Alvarez is in the pen for the Dodgers, he'd be another great candidate.  Having guys like this on your team can increase your win total while not killing your ERA/WHIP... and most importantly, won't eat up your innings, conserving them for later in the season.

:D

744333[/snapback]

Dude - where do you think I was playing Affeldt last year (when he was healthy)? I discovered this strategy sometime during the first half of the season and used it as much as possible in the second half. Worked well, but my ratios were already too far gone at that point.

Dude - where do you think I was playing Affeldt last year (when he was healthy)?  I discovered this strategy sometime during the first half of the season and used it as much as possible in the second half.  Worked well, but my ratios were already too far gone at that point.

744346[/snapback]

Good stuff. Alot of people don't figure it out. It's a fantastic way to keep close in pitching categories while saving innings up. It's hilarious to see everyone's innings disappear, while you're still way under the pace, and yet you are right there in the categories. Trick is to get in on it early. I keep a running list (Yahoo has that "watch" list" - VERY helpful) of guys that could potentially be win-vultures. I swear by this process.

FYI, the guys I currently have an eye on: Hermanson, Sosa (TB), Alvarez and Dessens. I will definitely come to this forum during the course of the season to post others I have an eye on.

Edited by darin3

C J. Estrada (Atl - C)

CI R. Klesko (SD - CI,OF)

CI C. Koskie (Tor - CI)

MI M. Giles (Atl - MI)

MI R. Furcal (Atl - MI)

OF A. Jones (Atl - OF)

OF B. Jordan (Atl - OF)

OF M. Kotsay (Oak - OF)

Util Ál. González (Fla - MI)

BN S. Hillenbrand (Tor - CI)

BN K. Ginter (Oak - CI,MI)

BN E. Marrero (KC - OF)

SP T. Hudson (Atl - SP)

RP J. Smoltz (Atl - RP

P D. Kolb (Atl - RP)

P M. Hampton (Atl - SP)

P K. Brown (NYY - SP)

BN C. Silva (Min - SP)

BN J. Borowski (ChC - RP)

BN M. Herges (SF - RP)

BN A. Alfonseca (Fla - RP)

20 team, 6x6 HTH league (R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG and GIDP for hitters; W,S,K's,Whip,ERA and wild pitches for pitchers) Start C, 2 CI's, 2 MI's, 3 OF's 1 Util and 1 SP, 1 RP and 3 P's. This is a group of us who have been playing for years and I ran out of time before the draft, so i set my prerankings full of Braves and decided to go with it. :D Not a bad team but I could use some OF help.

C J. Estrada (Atl - C) 

CI R. Klesko (SD - CI,OF)

CI C. Koskie (Tor - CI)

MI M. Giles (Atl - MI)

MI R. Furcal (Atl - MI)

OF A. Jones (Atl - OF)

OF B. Jordan (Atl - OF)

OF M. Kotsay (Oak - OF)

Util Ál. González (Fla - MI)

BN S. Hillenbrand (Tor - CI)

BN K. Ginter (Oak - CI,MI)

BN E. Marrero (KC - OF)

SP T. Hudson (Atl - SP)

RP J. Smoltz (Atl - RP

P D. Kolb (Atl - RP)

P M. Hampton (Atl - SP)

P K. Brown (NYY - SP)

BN C. Silva (Min - SP)

BN J. Borowski (ChC - RP)

BN M. Herges (SF - RP)

BN A. Alfonseca (Fla - RP)

20 team, 6x6 HTH league (R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG and GIDP for hitters; W,S,K's,Whip,ERA and wild pitches for pitchers) Start C, 2 CI's, 2 MI's, 3 OF's 1 Util and 1 SP, 1 RP and 3 P's. This is a group of us who have been playing for years and I ran out of time before the draft, so i set my prerankings full of Braves and decided to go with it. :D Not a bad team but I could use some OF help.

744397[/snapback]

Not bad for a 20-team league. Think you have enough Bravos? Good Lord! Jordan will not help you this season. I think you can look elsewhere.

Not bad for a 20-team league.  Think you have enough Bravos?  Good Lord!  Jordan will not help you this season.  I think you can look elsewhere.

744459[/snapback]

Time out - those dames really from your hometown? That's ridiculous.

Time out - those dames really from your hometown?  That's ridiculous.

744474[/snapback]

Hehe, yeah, at one point or another they all lived here. The "tournament of babes" threads got me thinking about what sort of tail grew up around here.

:D Jaime Pressly has spent the night at my house before. Of course, at the time, she was 15, gangly and not that cute. She was a cheerleader w/ my little sis.

Not bad for a 20-team league.  Think you have enough Bravos?  Good Lord!  Jordan will not help you this season.  I think you can look elsewhere.

744459[/snapback]

I agree about Jordan, in fact I just traded him for Lance Nix, I hate to take advantage of a newbie, but...