[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

nfl, flex games?

Chief

Still many scenarios for prime-time packages

NFL.com wire reports

KAPALUA, Hawaii (March 23, 2005) -- It could be a while before the NFL finalizes the prime-time portion of its television packages.

NFL Network

NFL Network

Analysis, opinions, features and more!

Download Super Bowl XXXIX radio broadcasts and highlights to your MP3 player!

Field Pass

Listen LIVE to NFL games, plus watch video news and features of your favorite team.

The current eight-year contracts worth $17.6 billion run out after the upcoming season, but Fox already has agreed to a six-year, $4.3 billion deal to keep the NFC games on Sundays, while CBS will keep the AFC games for $3.7 billion.

However, the league isn't close to any agreements for its biggest moneymaker, the Sunday night/Monday night packages. ABC and ESPN combined paid $9.2 billion for the prime-time games.

But Walt Disney Co., which owns ABC and ESPN, has not offered anything acceptable to the NFL to renew the contracts. So other players have become involved.

What is the league looking at?

"A better question might be, 'Is there anything we have not explored?' " commissioner Paul Tagliabue said at the league's annual meetings. "We've looked at ESPN for Monday nights, other networks for Sunday nights or Monday nights, ESPN for Sunday nights, split packages on Monday nights."

Switching networks on Sunday and Monday nights also is possible, particularly with the league's desire to have some flexibility in moving games from the afternoon to prime time. Such time switches work far better when they are Sunday afternoon to evening rather than Sunday to Monday night.

Tagliabue also would like to see NFL Network involved as a carrier of live regular-season games. The league is selling a Thursday night/Saturday night package that has attracted interest from some outlets that don't currently televise the NFL. But if the numbers don't work for the league, it could put those late-season matchups on NFL Network, which currently is available on DirecTV and selected cable outlets.

As for the flexible schedules, Tagliabue said teams would get the opportunity to play themselves into the prime-time game by having stronger than expected seasons. A certain number of matchups will be set, but others will be flexible, particularly down the stretch of the schedule.

Asked why the Oakland Raiders, a 5-11 team, was placed in the high-profile Thursday night season opener at New England, Tagliabue cited the Raiders' national popularity, their West Coast fan base and their apparent improvement in the offseason.

"We were looking for a matchup that could have national appeal," he said. "New England as the Super Bowl champion and the Raiders with a history of success ...

"There's also a freshness to that matchup."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While this would be great for viewing, what about some of the players we draft based on strength of schedule? Some of these guys might become worthless over it, while other i assume, might improve for whatever reason. I would think this would bode more of a negative, offensively, and defensively for the majority of fantasy players. The exception being for the few players who seem to step it up for the bigger games. I love the idea, makes me wonder how it'll affect my teams though.

edited to correct spelling

Edited by Chief

While this would be great for viewing, what about some of the players we draft based on strength of schedule?  Some of these guys might become worthless over it, while other i assume, might improve for whatever reason.  I would think this would bode more of a negative, offensively, and defensively for the majority of fantasy players.  The exception being for the few players who seem to step it up for the bigger games.  I love the idea, makes me wonder how it'll affect my teams though.

edited to correct spelling

748114[/snapback]

It won't affect you at all. The matchups won't change at all, just whether they're played on a Sunday afternoon or in primetime for that week.

My question is, I drive 400 miles on a Saturday to watch the Viks play on Sunday afternoon and plan on leaving right after the game. They are having a good season and they get bumped to Monday night. Is the NFL going to make up the difference in my hotel rooms and lost work, or do I have to sell my ticket which everyone else in my situation will be doing?

It won't affect you at all. The matchups won't change at all, just whether they're played on a Sunday afternoon or in primetime for that week.

748251[/snapback]

Man , I got to quit reading stuff so late at night :D My bad, thought were gonna explore changing matchups also.

It's a great idea for the tv audience but a terrible one if you are actually attending the games.

A lot of people have to take time off work to get to these games.

748692[/snapback]

What he said.

My question is, I drive 400 miles on a Saturday to watch the Viks play on Sunday afternoon and plan on leaving right after the game.  They are having a good season and they get bumped to Monday night.  Is the NFL going to make up the difference in my hotel rooms and lost work, or do I have to sell my ticket which everyone else in my situation will be doing?

748427[/snapback]

Pretty sure that the changes will be made at least a week in advance, thus giving plenty of notice to make changes.

Although I don't think it's a good idea, myself.

Pretty sure that the changes will be made at least a week in advance, thus giving plenty of notice to make changes.

Although I don't think it's a good idea, myself.

749589[/snapback]

Yeah, that would make sense. Kinda tough to do it over night. I am a dumb arse.

:D

749589[/snapback]

I would still have a hard time switching work schedules without at least 2 or 3 weeks notice.

Also (at least in Green Bay), many hotel rooms are non-refundable when booked for events.

As long as the league keeps the games on network / basic cable stations, they'll be okay. It worries me when they talk about putting games on NFL Network and such. They make more money in the short term, but I feel that would negatively impact the popularity of the game long term. One of the reasons it's so popular is that a fan can watch every game. If you put it on a separate pay channel, a lot of fans will be lost. Not the hardcore variety that are hanging around here in the offseason, but the casual fans... and they're where the money is at because there are so many of them.