[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Roy Williams Rule

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Should Horse Collar Tackles be Outlawed?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should Horse Collar Tackles be Outlawed?

• Yep, Just let the runner keep on going. TDs are fun.
    • No, It is Tackle Football.
    • Just another rule too make the game more receiver friendly.
    • Huh?

I saw this today. Ridiculous rule, in my opinion. You gotta grab hold of whatever you can and tackle however you can. I think this is a over-reaction on the NFL's part by making a rule to outlaw this. Players should just know, if they've got the ball, and Roy Williams is behind them, RUN FASTER. Or just pass over the top of him, 'cause he sucks in coverage.

Edited by CaptainHook

This is a dumb proposal if they want to protect the receivers more than give them more equipment to wear like they use to do.

Over the last twenty years the players have discarded equipment that protected them but restricted their manueverability.

Current WR wear really small shoulder-pads and thats about it....no hip pads thigh pads and no neck braces. They do wear the improved helmets.

Edited by jackshi17

If they're gonna start trying to address how a player tackles, they might as well just stop tackling all together. So now you gonna have to teach techniques in tackling as well as everything else a player has to learn? Wow.

Just so many stupid rules being brought in every year. It's getting out of hand.

I can see where they are coming from: Roy Williams injured Tyrone Calico and TO for the season making that tackle.

But I don't know, WRs have it easy enough, I'd leave it alone. The NFL can't keep adding rules to help the offense out.

We can't have monster's roaming the quiet, NFL country side...what a freakin joke, why don't we do like Shotgun Messiah said and play flag football. Pretty soon it's gonna end up like that episode of "Friends" When Ross and Chandler get in a fight with those two guys at the coffee shop, and after going over all the places they "Aren't allowed to hit" they have an area about a foot in diameter in the chest region, well that seems to be the way the NFL is heading!

Its a complete joke. Do you know how strong you have to be to drag someone straight down like that. Personally few players can do what Roy is able to and that is why he has this so called rule named after him. Its a complete joke. Next thing you know, a DE is going to go around a OT, and drag a QB like Vick down from behind in the pocket, end his season, and Qbs and Wrs are going to be wearing flags.

Its a complete joke.  Do you know how strong you have to be to drag someone straight down like that.  Personally few players can do what Roy is able to and that is why he has this so called rule named after him.  Its a complete joke.  Next thing you know, a DE is going to go around a OT, and drag a QB like Vick down from behind in the pocket, end his season, and Qbs and Wrs are going to be wearing flags.

748476[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more, as they are completely pussifying the game. It baffles me how they can legislate tackling, but allow chop blocking to continue.

No hitting the QB, no hitting with your helmet, no grabbing the shoulder pads....

Soon, they will legislate tackling below the waiste at this pace.

NFL | League to Eliminate Horse-Collar Tackle? - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:26:32 -0800

Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports the NFL appears to be on the verge of creating a new rule prohibiting the horse-collar tackling technique made infamous by Dallas Cowboys S Roy Williams during the 2004 season, for fear of injury. The technique involves grabbing a player by his neck, and then pulling him down immediately by his shoulder pads. If passed, players would likely receive a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Williams injured three players last season using this type of tackle: Baltimore Ravens RB Musa Smith, Philadelphia Eagles WR Terrell Owens, and Tennessee Titans WR Tyrone Calico.

I don't know what should be done,but three season ending injuries by one

player(in one season :eek:) is alot? :D

This is a dumb proposal if they want to protect the receivers more than give them more equipment to wear like they use to do.

Over the last twenty years the players have discarded equipment that protected them but restricted their manueverability.

Current WR wear really small shoulder-pads and thats about it....no hip pads thigh pads and no neck braces.  They do wear the improved helmets.

748178[/snapback]

Although I agree with you that the new proposal is ridiculous, how would more equipment help?

:D

748975[/snapback]

Coming from an Eagles fan that tell you all you need to know about this rule. It will really hurt the DL the most. They can still tackle in this method if the QB is not scrambling but are subject to the penalty when they are. Grab the QB by his jersey and typically, unless he's drew bledsoe, he'll scramble.

If I understand this right, it's not the horse collar tackle they are outlawing, it's doing it while riding a player down to land on the back of his legs when doing the horse collar tackle. There is a difference. In order to land on a player's legs, once you have a hold of the shoulder pads, you have to pull yourself up onto his back as he goes down, so you will land on the back of his knees, as opposed to just holding on with your arms straight. Not an easy call for the refs to differentiate, but they don;t want to see marque players go down and out for the season. I't s sort of like the "dangerous move" rule in collegiate and olympic wrestling. Sort of like the cut back double team block... a dangerous move. Intent to injure.

While I'm not sure what you said, your av rocks!

749155[/snapback]

Jackshi17 said that if the NFL wanted to cutdown on WRs getting injured from these types of tackles they should make the WRs wear more equipment. I fail to see how that would help in this case. Getting pulled down from behind and twisting your leg cannot be stopped by equipment correct? Maybe it would help with other types of tackles but not in this case IMO. And thanks for the AV props.

Current WR wear really small shoulder-pads and thats about it....no hip pads thigh pads and no neck braces.  They do wear the improved helmets.

748178[/snapback]

How about razor sharp spikes rimming the collar portion of the shoulder pads :D

So the back of the pads are now an extension of the face mask?

750125[/snapback]

No. As I understand it, a defender can still grab the pads, but he won't be allowed to ride the players back when he does it. The idea is to prevent a defender from falling on the ball carrier's legs when using the pads to bring him down.