[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Keeper Question

Haskel

This is the first year our league is gonna have keepers. The system the Commish decided on is different than those I've dealt with in the past. This is the way it works: You keep 3 guys...one player who was drafted in rounds 1 - 5, one player drafted between rounds 6 and 10, and a third player drafted round 11 or after (including undrafted players). Here's my end of the year roster:

Rounds 1 - 5: EJames, DMcAllister, Hasselbeck, HWard, JWalker

Rounds 6 - 10: AJohnson, JSmith, THeap, TJones

Round 11 - Undrafted: WGreen, MClayton, DBrees

(Others aren't worth mentioning)

We start: QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, FLEX, TE, K, Team D

Scoring: 6 pts per TD (passing, receiving, rushing), 1 pt per 25 yds passing, 1 pt per 10 yds rushing/receiving, TOs -2, no points per reception.

This is my thinking so far....

Edge is my early round keeper.

In the middle rounds I was originally thinking TJones but lately have been leaning towards Heap (if we've got to start a TE, he's a good one to start....if he stays healthy). But...TJones did end up with 1380 all purpose yds including 7 TDs and only 1 TO. Possibly not a bad flex option...OK, I'm wavering again.

The late round pick I think is Clayton. In our scoring system, he finished 14 out of all WRs. Brees was a sentimental choice because he did get me alot of wins while Hasselbeck was stinking it up. But he cooled WAY down when LT2 returned to full speed. Besides, I don't think I need a keeper QB unless it's Manning, CPep or McNabb.

Oh yeah...Important point I didn't mention above....we can only keep players for one year. So all of this rides on next year's performance only.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

HASKEL

I'd be tempted to keep A Johnson, especially if Houston drafts another WR that would take the double teams off of him. I'd also keep Clayton. I agree with keeping Edge. While Heap should have a bounce back year, there are a few more TE's around these days, Jones, Wiggins, Gates, Putzier, Winslow, Clark, Crumpler... it's not just Heap and Gonzo anymore.

This is the first year our league is gonna have keepers.  The system the Commish decided on is different than those I've dealt with in the past.  This is the way it works:  You keep 3 guys...one player who was drafted in rounds 1 - 5, one player drafted between rounds 6 and 10, and a third player drafted round 11 or after (including undrafted players).  Here's my end of the year roster:

Rounds 1 - 5: EJames, DMcAllister, Hasselbeck, HWard, JWalker

Rounds 6 - 10: AJohnson, JSmith, THeap, TJones

Round 11 - Undrafted: WGreen, MClayton, DBrees

(Others aren't worth mentioning)

We start: QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, FLEX, TE, K, Team D

Scoring:  6 pts per TD (passing, receiving, rushing), 1 pt per 25 yds passing, 1 pt per 10 yds rushing/receiving, TOs -2, no points per reception.

This is my thinking so far....

Edge is my early round keeper. 

In the middle rounds I was originally thinking TJones but lately have been leaning towards Heap (if we've got to start a TE, he's a good one to start....if he stays healthy).  But...TJones did end up with 1380 all purpose yds including 7 TDs and only 1 TO.  Possibly not a bad flex option...OK, I'm wavering again. 

The late round pick I think is Clayton.  In our scoring system, he finished 14 out of all WRs.  Brees was a sentimental choice because he did get me alot of wins while Hasselbeck was stinking it up.  But he cooled WAY down when LT2 returned to full speed.  Besides, I don't think I need a keeper QB unless it's Manning, CPep or McNabb.

Oh yeah...Important point I didn't mention above....we can only keep players for one year.  So all of this rides on next year's performance only. 

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

HASKEL

757513[/snapback]

From the first group, I'd keep Edge. Tempting to think about Deuce, but he was injured in 2004; who knows if that will affect him. Plus, the Saints suck. I wouldn't keep a WR here.

From the second group, it's really between Johnson and Heap. Heap's coming off an injury, but is an elite TE. However, with more TEs out there that have been performing, odds are you can probably grab a decent one in your draft. I'd probably keep Johnson here, and have a studly, young WR corps (see below). I would not keep Jones. He may not even be Chicago's starter.

Lastly, the final group... easy choice: Clayton. He's gonna be a stud.

Hope that helps.

I have to agree w/ darin3,

edge, for one year, def your best bet.

Johnson second. He's gonna be a great one. Hey, you picked Heap in rounds 6-11 last year and he was the #2 TE on the board. w/ the depth of talent at that position now, i think you can afford to cut him.

third, Clayton. he made an impact last year and is bound to keep getting better. Brees will come back to earth IMO. you can upgrade that position in the draft.

hope this helps

I agree with this, but don't underestimate Jones. Jones could be really good next year. The reason why I might let Jones go is that most people are souring on him given last year was probably his best as a pro, and you may be able to draft him in the 5-7 round range again next year.

I'd be tempted to keep A Johnson, especially if Houston drafts another WR that would take the double teams off of him. I'd also keep Clayton. I agree with keeping Edge. While Heap should have a bounce back year, there are a few more TE's around these days, Jones, Wiggins, Gates, Putzier, Winslow, Clark, Crumpler... it's not just Heap and Gonzo anymore.

757788[/snapback]

Took the words out of my keyboard

• 2 weeks later...